HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:54 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
But it is a good intro to powered gliders, and as you have shown it is easy to up grade to a better performance plane.
That it is, and well done on your maiden flight!

P.S.
I decorated the lower surfaces with black stripes and they really show up well on a sunny day!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jun 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I need to find some parcel tape that sticks to mine
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:20 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Still flying this great plane and really getting used to the slow flying abilities which it seems blessed with. Instead of tip stalling it just seems to wallow and shimmy it's wings prior to the ultimate stall. Very predictable.
The spoilerons are so powerful that I usually only need to use 50-60% of total travel for landing and I think the 10" x 7" prop is a good upgrade as it gives true vertical performance (unlike the original 10" x 6" if that's what it really is as are there aren't any size markings on them), and doesn't appear to stress the motor at all. Also, the 40A Pentium ESC was a worthwhile upgrade as it hardly gets warm either. So far I've flown this glider more than both my previous Blizzards put together and for my money it is definately a better buy. I'm starting to do more inverted with it now, but still tend to pull up early as I'm not 100% relaxed with it yet. Practise, practise, practise.......
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Just got some 1300 lipos to use with the blaze, do you guys think it will be ok? I have tried it with 2200 lipos no probs but I read in a previous post that these fly better if they are lighter?

Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:09 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Just got some 1300 lipos to use with the blaze, do you guys think it will be ok? I have tried it with 2200 lipos no probs but I read in a previous post that these fly better if they are lighter?

Jim.
1300 will be ok as long as they have a decent C rating (25C minimum), but to be honest I don't think that it will make a noticable difference in performance. Maybe in the climb as the AUW will be a few grammes lighter, but certainly not on the glide as the natural soaring speed of this plane is relativy high and not slow like a floater. This is a common trap a lot of folks fall into, they buy a plane with a quick aerofoil section and then wonder why it tip stalls when flown slowly.
Anyway Jim, the only way to find out is to get out there and fly it, and then makes some notes to compare, ie. Endurance, climb rate and overall handling and when you have some figures please let us know.

FWIW, I would be quite happy to fit a 2500 3s pack if I had one as this really
is a sweet handling plane and the small amount of extra weight would hardly
have any effect, but I would be able to stay up a fair bit longer before changing batteries.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 02:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Got some vid of the Blaze yesterday, suffered a tip stall when I took my eye off the plane to see if the dog near by was coming to eat my plane !!!
This bird is tough as old boots!!! cartwheeled it and no damage what so ever!!!
Still got to master those landings though!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpa2XfU3zk

Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:48 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,611 Posts
Prop Catching Canopy

On about 4 of my flights the motor would not start up after a glide. I thought it was the esc and various other things................ urned out to be very simple. The prop was tucked in against the edge of the canopy and was jammed.

Simple solution shave a little off the square edge of the canopy at this point.

Regards

Dennis
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:01 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Here is my personal view on the Blaze.

Been out and flown mine a lot. Does it fly and climb as fast as a 400 glass hotliner and is it as fast in a dive? No, but it's not a 400 glass hotliner is it!

The instructions are always written as a 'safe' set of starting parameters. You can adjust the throws etc to suit your own requirements. To specify a rearward CG and extreme movements would frighten many to death on that first flight and get even more adverse comment. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't! In their position, I would err on the safe side, and guess what........ Computer radios have end point adjustment and sero arms etc have different hole positions. I just used the end points and mine performs like the Ripmax video.

I actually like the CG at the specified position. Any further back and it seems to get a lot more unpredictable at the stall.

Vertical climbs - Does everyone honestly think that all Li-Po batteries have honest C rates? A dodgy cheap and cheerful 1500mAh 20C (claimed) with a real 15C is going to give a very different power output than a 'real' 2500 35C for instance. What I am saying is that the battery specification can make a big difference! I fly the stock setup and my real 25C 2200 pack makes it go vertical. My clubmates have watched and can vouch for it. Not tried a 1300 pack yet. Got to find one with a good enough real C rate. Not sure it's the right way to go as it will loose even more inertia in the 'zoom'.

Elevator - Yup, its a bit wooly at the bottom of a fast dive but nothing dangerous. Might try laminating some light glasscloth the the underside with cyano to stiffen it a bit.

Decals - Go on fine and fit ok. The die cutting could be better. Best sealed down with an iron with a sock on low heat. The Germans having been doing this for years! Careful with the heat or the foam will 'bobble'!

Weak tips - Other than comments I have seen on transit damage, I can see no problem here. Mine are fine. I suppose the glasscloth/cyano fix could work here too. Don't use a fast cyano or the heat will melt the foam. It's not the cyano that would be the problem, it's the heat it would generate.

ESC - Yes, I think it is a little marginal and gets hot but I'm not inclined to replace it just yet.

Blizzard - Those that claim that the Blaze is a copy should equally claim that the Blizzard is a copy of the glass hotliners. It's about as relevant!! Only seen one Blizzard fly. Very spectacular as it fluttered and broke up in the sky!! Do they all do that? Probably not, it depends on whether you have a positive or negative approach to things and take one instance as indicative of the whole product. The Blizzard is good but has it's problems, the Blaze just seems a notch up the 'practicality, scale to me.

Is the Blaze perfect? no, but i have never bought a perfect product in my life!!
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:39 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffie View Post

Been out and flown mine a lot. Does it fly and climb as fast as a 400 glass hotliner and is it as fast in a dive? No, but it's not a 400 glass hotliner is it!

The instructions are always written as a 'safe' set of starting parameters. You can adjust the throws etc to suit your own requirements. To specify a rearward CG and extreme movements would frighten many to death on that first flight and get even more adverse comment. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't! In their position, I would err on the safe side, and guess what........ Computer radios have end point adjustment and sero arms etc have different hole positions. I just used the end points and mine performs like the Ripmax video.

I actually like the CG at the specified position. Any further back and it seems to get a lot more unpredictable at the stall.

Vertical climbs - Does everyone honestly think that all Li-Po batteries have honest C rates? A dodgy cheap and cheerful 1500mAh 20C (claimed) with a real 15C is going to give a very different power output than a 'real' 2500 35C for instance. What I am saying is that the battery specification can make a big difference! I fly the stock setup and my real 25C 2200 pack makes it go vertical. My clubmates have watched and can vouch for it. Not tried a 1300 pack yet. Got to find one with a good enough real C rate. Not sure it's the right way to go as it will loose even more inertia in the 'zoom'.

Elevator - Yup, its a bit wooly at the bottom of a fast dive but nothing dangerous. Might try laminating some light glasscloth the the underside with cyano to stiffen it a bit.

Decals - Go on fine and fit ok. The die cutting could be better. Best sealed down with an iron with a sock on low heat. The Germans having been doing this for years! Careful with the heat or the foam will 'bobble'!

Weak tips - Other than comments I have seen on transit damage, I can see no problem here. Mine are fine. I suppose the glasscloth/cyano fix could work here too. Don't use a fast cyano or the heat will melt the foam. It's not the cyano that would be the problem, it's the heat it would generate.

ESC - Yes, I think it is a little marginal and gets hot but I'm not inclined to replace it just yet.

Blizzard - Those that claim that the Blaze is a copy should equally claim that the Blizzard is a copy of the glass hotliners. It's about as relevant!! Only seen one Blizzard fly. Very spectacular as it fluttered and broke up in the sky!! Do they all do that? Probably not, it depends on whether you have a positive or negative approach to things and take one instance as indicative of the whole product. The Blizzard is good but has it's problems, the Blaze just seems a notch up the 'practicality, scale to me.

Is the Blaze perfect? no, but i have never bought a perfect product in my life!!
Spot on
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:02 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,611 Posts
Quote:

Glad you know so much and saw fit to tell the rest of us
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:14 PM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
124 Posts
A couple of us have or Blaze's out this weekend in 20mph winds and they were fine, even easier to land and with spoilerons set up they just floated down. We are not running particularly high C rated lipos but instead use flightpower 1800 25C's and they are quite adequate. All in all I think they are well worth the 120 quid.

S
Sipper is offline Find More Posts by Sipper
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:22 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:

....Best sealed down with an iron with a sock on low heat. The Germans having been doing this for years Careful with the heat or the foam will 'bobble'!
!!

And me too! The same technique works with most kit decals.

Great report Tiffie, although I differ about the CG ; Mine is a few mm rearward of the target and the stall is very predictable. See my post #108
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:57 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,385 Posts
Saw a Blaze fly this morning. There's no doubt it's great value for money but its performance is woefully short of the Blizzard with the excellent Tuning motor set. The fact that the Blaze is pre-built still makes it very attractive though. Time is money. Wish I hadn't sold my Tuning motor set. I'd buy a Blizzard again if I hadn't.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:28 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
...... but its performance is woefully short of the Blizzard with the excellent Tuning motor set.
But the Blizzard is woefully expensive with it's tuning set by comparison. Oh, and I've yet to see any reports of wing flutter with the Blaze.

P.S.
I've had 2 Blizzards (one power, one pure glider) and now have the Blaze. Do I prefer either of the Blizzards over the Blaze?...................Never!
If you want a Hotliner then buy one, not a foamie that pretends to be one.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,385 Posts
Interesting to hear that from another Blizz owner. You get what you pay for ultimatley. Blaze is relatively slow and cheap, Blizz is fastish and double money, Moulded hotliners is probably double money again and the performance again. Blizz isn't a hotliner sure, but the Blaze isn't a Blizz either.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM