HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,062 Posts
Are the Blaze (and its twin Dynamic-S) & Blizzard the only foam warmliners? Next step up is something like the FVK Bandit?
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
Good gracious! I don't know which number to react to first. At $2000+... I wouldn't be able to think of this as a "hobby" anymore. ....................I guess "big bucks" can buy "major mojo". I'm OK in the cheap seats (for now).
If you do not like spending money on a hobby do not get into helis. I can spend well over $2000 on a 600 and 700 size heli and if you want to build scale think in terms of twice that. A basic airframe... $700, an 80 amp Kontronic ESC....$400, a set of CF main blades... $120, a set of CF tail blades ....$40, a 560kv motor...$200, servos .... minimum $80 each. Probably a good idea to stick to planks up to 1500 wing span.I am sure however some guys can probably beat my heli budget on a larger plank..
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
As for the power aspect, got to say sorry but that 1.5kg (approx!)is ready to go. Several of the available F5B air frames tip the weight under 750g bare. ...
That is amazing -- gotta love this hobby. The wonderful thing for me is... I enjoy the wild (and sometimes expensive) diversity that others bring to the table just as much as I enjoy working on and flying my own simple stuff. I've discovered a little niche that I love to tinker with... the Dynamic-S is right up my alley... but the big boy toys are undeniably cool.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
If you do not like spending money on a hobby do not get into helis. ...
Too rich for me, buddy. I'll enjoy heli's, vicariously, through folks like you... thank you! I am fascinated by the little engineering marvels you guys come up with. Watching how those thing fly... like possessed hummingbirds... just hurts my head.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
When I deliberately chose to purchase a Great Planes Siren a few months ago I knew several things about it. It is/was an old design and it is limited in power simply because of the construction which is a mixture of glass and a balsa wing with two joiners. Not suited to super power but after stupidly wrecking my Sprinter I thought I needed a refresher and at about 700 watts off 3S the Siren is fun. It isn't perfect but it is good and a "cheap" build up can be done for around 300 - 400 dollars all up.

Mine is more expensive but only because the more costly items were already in my own workshop. So my suggestion is if someone does want quite a jump in performance over the Blaze or any clones then the Siren is one good choice.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Dec 13, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:55 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,293 Posts
Yep well put David. Or perhaps consider second hand. Don't know it this is still for sale from Peter B, but if you keep an eye out thinks turn up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...51062&page=104

Toward the bottom of the page
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
Mine is more expensive but only because the more costly items were already in my own workshop. So my suggestion is if someone does want quite a jump in performance over the Blaze or any clones then the Siren is one good choice.
Yes, Siren is good inexpensive choice for a plane that will give good start into +warmliner to hotliner adventure.

Here is a link that show some pylon racers, most inexpensive as far as the airframe. Which I suppose is normal, it is those darn motors and batteries that cost us so much.

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplanes-pylon-racers.aspx

These pylon racers are fast little monsters and can get away from us old guys pretty quick. Still, I like to hear them as they whiz on by me.

Here are links for hotliners to give an idea of a few that are available ....

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplanes-hotliners.aspx

A little more expensive and usually larger in size. These are not so expensive but there are hotliners that are waaaaay more expensive. I try to stay in the price range that I can afford to crash.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Here are links for hotliners to give an idea of a few that are available ....

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplanes-hotliners.aspx

Stop it. Stop it right now. I just bought two new planes, one of which is my beautiful Dynamic-S... with which I am well pleased. Well pleased, I tell you! Do you hear?!? I have no business lusting after luscious new hotliners that I am *quite* sure I could not even fly right now. Sleek... awesome... luscious hotliners... man, those are all really pretty, eh?

OK... Joking aside: Those are ARFs. So what is a ballpark figure to get them up in the air (assuming I already have my own TX/RX)?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
There are some advantages to picking warmliners out of a recognised stable. Of some with which I have knowledge the Sprinter, Mefisto and Scorpion are first rate fliers. The really good thing is that if you are limited either by money or skill then you simply start light and slow.

Any of those I mentioned (and I'm sure there are plenty of others) will fly perfectly on 3S 2200 if matched to a suitable motor and ESC. Even these are not likely to be costly as it is unlikely you'll need anything more than a 35 diameter motor around 1000kv and an ESC up to maybe 60 amps. OK, at this point the model will be light and as easy to fly as the Blaze but the jump is from approx 200 watts on the Blaze up to 500 - 600 watts with the set up suggested.

If you really get the urge later you can always upgrade everything by going to either 4 or 5S with appropriate changes to both motor and ESC. The only thing I strongly recommend is to start by putting in good quality servos even at 600 watts as eventually you might be upping up to 1+ kilowatts.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
One step at a time. Always nice to have a goal to work toward. I think hotliners are where I'm heading... Of all the fascinating things I've seen, in this hobby, hotliners are the category that get my blood pumping. Thanks for the intro.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,062 Posts
I have a Black Horse Sonic waiting to be built. It'll have to be after the Blaze/Blizzard project though. Perhaps an FVK Bandit after that.
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
OldeMan, As you are in the US I'd look at the Esprit web site. One of the "hotliners" in there will set you back between $240 - $280 US plus, I guess, mail/freight. You may have other options but a passable motor and ESC (if Hobby City I'd use the 60 amp plush) at probably $60 - $80. Spinner plus good (Aeronaut) prop around $50 - $60. You'll need some good servos and these are best sourced locally.

Just have a search.

Incidentally, on the Siren I used a Mega motor, Jeti ESC, Aeronaut prop, spinner and blades. I prefer Aeronaut Carbon for this simply because they are rated up to 12,000 rpm. Some of the others are lower and more brittle.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:41 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Noted -- thanks, David.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
If you do not like spending money on a hobby do not get into helis. I can spend well over $2000 on a 600 and 700 size heli and if you want to build scale think in terms of twice that. A basic airframe... $700, an 80 amp Kontronic ESC....$400, a set of CF main blades... $120, a set of CF tail blades ....$40, a 560kv motor...$200, servos .... minimum $80 each. Probably a good idea to stick to planks up to 1500 wing span.I am sure however some guys can probably beat my heli budget on a larger plank..
Are those Australian dollars? I put a pretty nice 600 together recently for like $400 with all digital servo. If it's US dollars, what is the benefit of spending $400 on just the ESC?! What do I get for my extra $350 dollars?
maynardr6 is offline Find More Posts by maynardr6
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
Stop it. Stop it right now. I just bought two new planes, one of which is my beautiful Dynamic-S... with which I am well pleased. Well pleased, I tell you! Do you hear?!? I have no business lusting after luscious new hotliners that I am *quite* sure I could not even fly right now. Sleek... awesome... luscious hotliners... man, those are all really pretty, eh?

OK... Joking aside: Those are ARFs. So what is a ballpark figure to get them up in the air (assuming I already have my own TX/RX)?

Sorry ... the temptation is great, I know.

As for price for the motor/esc/servo it depends on how competitive one wants to be. Some planes, because of nose design it may be better to use an inrunner motor/gear box combination; that combo can really up the price for a power solution. Of course, the greated the power then the greater the ESC needs to be and ESC can be very, very expensive.

For just putzing around at the club, a person can really start out with inexpensive Hobby King outrunner motor and folding prop. The one item though that is truly needed on any warm/hotliner is an external BEC. Always factor in a BEC for being the primary power conduit for your receiver and servos. That way, when the ESC fails and eventually they usually do on these hot planes, you will still have power to receiver and servos. You will be able to safely bring your plane home.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member