SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:42 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,966 Posts
Left Coast,
Trust me on this, you can have lots of fun just leaving the Blaze as is. I won't comment on the Dynamic simply because I haven't tried one.

As for warmliners or even "gliders" if they have any genuine performance it is unlikely you will find one constructed out of balsa. Most are likely to be some variation on glass fus' and then foam plus layer for the wings. At the price of most I'd probably go for something out of Eastern Europe such as Reichard, Top Model or Pelikan etc. but look in your own area where Esprit sell a good number at fair prices. These will require a certain amount of assembly work as they are very "bare bones" as to what is in the box. The upside is virtually all I've come across fly beautifully.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:24 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
@Left Coast ... my Blaze is stock, other than the ESC, I strengthen the ruddervators and put on a prop that I prefer. There is nothing incorrect with the factory prop, I simply prefer the CAM props on my gliders. Plane performed quite well with the original prop.

I never, never use the Asian garden variety ESC. Many do and have good fortune with them and never have a problem. ESC failure is a hit or miss among vendors. Even the big names in ESC have random failures. Parkzone/Eflite and others have a on again/off again record with their ESC. The majority of users will never have a problem with the ESC. Most of the club members of my two clubs buy inexpensive Asian ESC and none of them have problems yet with these. I change mine out because I am not a gambler .... and I am married to woman whos maiden name is Murphy! I must be very careful.

The truth is about any of these inexpensive or even expensive Asian foam planes is that most of them not really ARF or PNP as they are often advertised. They are mass produced and variations happen in production. Owners of these planes should always check the basics of wing alignment, control surface, CoG, etc. before flying.

So go ahead and buy the plane, take an hour or two to properly trim and setup the plane and then go fly and enjoy it. If you have problems, then ask here for help.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
I change mine out because I am not a gambler .... and I am married to woman whos maiden name is Murphy! I must be very careful.
This line made me laugh. I'm married to a woman whose maiden name ends with -nsky. I'm not really sure if she cares a whole lot about me gambling with my planes as long as the mortgage is paid and the kids are fed.

I will most likely order this plane from Tower this week and insert a spare HobbyWing Platinum 40 amp ESC I have. I'll take a look at the prop/spinner situation too though I don't have any Aeronaut folding props on hand. And I think none of my local hobby shops stock them.

Just for discussion's sake, any thoughts on the Blaze vs. Multiplex Blizzard in terms on build quality and flight characteristics? I realize for about the same price the Blaze is PnP while the Blizzard is a kit.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Just for discussion's sake, any thoughts on the Blaze vs. Multiplex Blizzard in terms on build quality and flight characteristics? I realize for about the same price the Blaze is PnP while the Blizzard is a kit.
I have not owned the Blizzard but I did consider it before I purchased the Blaze. My overall impression from reading about the Blizzard was that for the price, it had a few problems of its own. Even MPX show adding tape to the wing is recommended.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/files/M2...ard_Manual.pdf

http://www.multiplexusa.com/files/M2...plement_LR.pdf

As well, from looking at manual it looked like the tail servos where partially covered in foam and would need to be cut out of the foam if they needed to be replaced. The base price of the Blizzard is reasonable but then you will still need to buy a motor/esc and servos.

I believe that as long as buyers realise that the Blaze and Blizzard are not thermal ships but a warmliner and a hotliner, they will have realistic expectatons of how the plane performs. Price wise and expectation wise I feel like I made the Blaze a better decision for me. I really wanted a warmliner to putz around with and did not want to build something. The Blizzard is more approaching the hotliner expectation, requires a slightly complicated build ( wing stiffeners ) and requires greated dexterity due to increased speeds over the stock Blaze.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Thinking about picking this up as a trainer before trying a balsa glider/warmliner. Could someone please give me a quick abstract on which mods are recommended?
With slight modification to the box it comes in it makes a great carrier for the Blaze to go in the back of the car.....
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:42 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Well, I bought a Dynamic-S used, it looks stock except the motor which is NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30 1100kv, I put my own spinner and 11x6 prop on it. Don't know what ESC is there it looks 30A maybe. It pulls 22A static. I fly Thermal gliders so I gave it the usual setup with spoilerons, setup aileron differential at 50%. The left and right ailerons do not look the same left is much thicker, quality issue, I guess. I bought it to fly something in windy days for fun. I knew the cg would be a bit too far forward so I backed the 1300 3s I used, back, 1/2" or so, from the specified cg. The launch was a non event, at 3/4 throttle the glider climbed up at a shallow angle. I got up to safe height cut the motor and did the trims. few clicks left aileron as expected, couple clicks up. It glided fine and fairly fast. Gave it full power, it climbs almost vertical, 80 deg maybe, that is just fine. Cut at 400 ft and tried thermaling a bit. Wind was about 12mph, good penetration. Needs constant aileron input with the flat wing, slight tip stall at slow speed but easily pulled out of that. The glide is very flat and fast, I am sure I can make it thermal a bit, in the summer. It loops and rolls quite well even without power, under power it rolls pretty quick for a glider. It had almost same speed upwind as down so I hold good expectations for wind penetration. Landing was another non event, lands fine with no spoilers and I tried with spoilers, comes down a bit quicker, much better for short landings. I got 5 good climbs on each battery, flew 3 batteries. Now I wait for stronger wind, but it is getting pretty cold here. I like it so far, fun little ship.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
I would really like to know if anyone has solved the loss of control at speed problem. I read about 30 pages of this thread, and I just don't wanna read anymore. I've had my blaze for about 4 months. I love it. I fly it like a madman (within the envelope where I can control it), but I wanna see it go faster. I haven't let it get any real speed since about 2 months ago when I had it up in a cloud. I decided I'd point it down and mess around. About 3 or 4 seconds into it, I got nervous because of the speed and my experience with its sluggish response at speed. Well, this time. I had 0 response from everything. I had every stick at full deflection, and it continued at an incredible speed towards a crowded home depot parking lot. It was still hundreds of feet up, but I was sure I was screwed. Some combination of controls eventually slowed it down enough for me to pull out of the 15 second dive of terror, but this was maybe 50 feet off the ground. It sounds high, but remember, I started from a freakin cloud! So, anyways, all I've tried is silkspanning the control surfaces. This dramatically improved their stiffness, but the lack of improvement where it counts was equally dramatic. So, has anyone identified the actual problem and solved it?
maynardr6 is offline Find More Posts by maynardr6
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardr6 View Post
I would really like to know if anyone has solved the loss of control at speed problem. I read about 30 pages of this thread, and I just don't wanna read anymore. I've had my blaze for about 4 months. I love it. I fly it like a madman (within the envelope where I can control it), but I wanna see it go faster. I haven't let it get any real speed since about 2 months ago when I had it up in a cloud. I decided I'd point it down and mess around. About 3 or 4 seconds into it, I got nervous because of the speed and my experience with its sluggish response at speed. Well, this time. I had 0 response from everything. I had every stick at full deflection, and it continued at an incredible speed towards a crowded home depot parking lot. It was still hundreds of feet up, but I was sure I was screwed. Some combination of controls eventually slowed it down enough for me to pull out of the 15 second dive of terror, but this was maybe 50 feet off the ground. It sounds high, but remember, I started from a freakin cloud! So, anyways, all I've tried is silkspanning the control surfaces. This dramatically improved their stiffness, but the lack of improvement where it counts was equally dramatic. So, has anyone identified the actual problem and solved it?
Time to progress to a composite fiberglass carbon kevlar model!

Repaired one of these for a friend and test flew it. Couldn't really get it to go fast enough down low to perform, glad i didn't try anything tooo extreme from up high. Is it worth modding a foam frame? I've got a foam st fox with glassed wings that flys well, (for what it is). But a full composite model is something else!

So packed this one up after one batt and returned it. Good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
Well no wonder it wouldn't go, MFN2 -- lookit how you've got your V-Nose! It's catchin' all that air.....naturally gonna slow it down! I can understand why everybody was throwin' shoes at it!!

I mean, you ain' even got the fast-lookin' decals on it. That alone prolly cost ya 15-20mph!
Jeez man -- I thought you knew a thing 'r two about buildin' planes!

StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well no wonder it wouldn't go, MFN2 -- lookit how you've got your V-Nose! It's catchin' all that air.....naturally gonna slow it down! I can see why you were throwin' shoes at it!!
Ha ha ! The shoes are usually reserved for my kids and our chooks that sit up on the back porch!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
So.....ya let the kiddies & chookies go barefoot, whilst they give up their shoes for throwing. That shows dedication & sacrifice, and that's what power gliding is all about!!!

What's even cooler tho, is you Ozzies & yer shoes what, when ya throw 'em, they come back! Amazing!!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,966 Posts
As others have said or suggested you have reached maximum speed. Please remember that ANY model has a finite speed even F5Bs can and do break up when maximum speed is exceeded.

The Blaze, though a bundle of fun, is still just a foamie fun flier. Even the term warmliner is a misnomer or is misunderstood by some purchasers. Mustflynow2 is right, if you want to go really fast then shift to a model with a suitable structure and wing section. It will cost more money but you can buy cheaper gear to start with and then upgrade the power as your skills develop.

If you must have close to max think of a full investment around $2000+ but you will get quick with about 4500 watts on tap in a model around 1.5kg or thereabouts.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:16 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
So.....ya let the kiddies & chookies go barefoot, whilst they give up their shoes for throwing. That shows dedication & sacrifice, and that's what power gliding is all about!!!

What's even cooler tho, is you Ozzies & yer shoes what, when ya throw 'em, they come back! Amazing!!
Our planes come back too! Hopefully! Although I did lose one once, teaching my 11 year old to fly a few years back, he was doing great, nice slow circuits so I went to organise a second plane and when I got back his was nowhere to be seen! my fault. As for the shoes I was trying to intimate I might piff the odd projectile at an unsuspecting chock or dare I say it nearest and dearest! never a plane! Would not let the kiddies go barefoot though, i love em but sometimes....
Back to the planes, I've been flying a launch model (chinese) luna with only 800watts a mh32 section which is slow at about 1.8kg. It's not really a model for speed but it flys great, again for what it is. Never lost any feel with it, even when the wind is up. Could spend more for a power upgrade but I am a little wary of the air frame, again limits. But it's a step up from foamies for $500-600.
As for f5b,4.5 kwou can start to use the term hotliner now
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
If you must have close to max think of a full investment around $2000+ but you will get quick with about 4500 watts on tap in a model around 1.5kg or thereabouts.
Good gracious! I don't know which number to react to first. At $2000+... I wouldn't be able to think of this as a "hobby" anymore. I get nose bleeds starting at a couple of hundred dollars.

And 4500 watts in a model about 1.5Kg?!? Uhhh... wait a minute: Electric motors can absorb about 3W/gram... so 4500 watts implies a 1.5Kg motor. You must mean 1.5Kg for a model without motor, etc...? So... maybe... 3.5Kg AUW? That's still... 500~600 watts per pound? Smokin!

I guess "big bucks" can buy "major mojo". I'm OK in the cheap seats (for now).
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,966 Posts
OldeMan, Every one decides, I guess, how much money they want to spend on their toys. Frankly, I'm somewhat like you I suppose being on the low end moneywise I guess but numerous fliers in our club have models up in the high end. As examples consider a twin gas turbine Warthog around 3 meters span or a 32 pound Curtiss P- 40.

As for the power aspect, got to say sorry but that 1.5kg (approx!)is ready to go. Several of the available F5B air frames tip the weight under 750g bare. This is why they are only given a burst of power for maybe one or two seconds to achieve height.

This too is why I've referred to any "hot" model I've flown as a warmliner. None of mine have exceeded 1000 watts but again in a roughly 1.5kg weight model. For my limited ability this is ample for me having fun.