HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
This plane was above my "comfort level"... but I'm growing into it now. My problem is still depth-perception. Three timed now, I've been captured by trees that suddenly jumped from "well-behind" to "just-in-front". My previous plane was an 800mm glider... white... foam. And this big one now appears to me to be closer than it really is. Still not accustomed to it -- hit a tree again today.
My problem is it's just way too white. This time of year is grey sky, grey trees, white ground. Yesterday I completely lost it coming toward me and had to pull up to see some surface area and regain orientation.

Im thinking black bottom and orange top.
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Thanks guys for the tips. I did start to trawl through all the posts and after 30 pages I did a search and did not produce anything. I thought there may be a difference between the wings I could not see so I bought a new set. I have not fitted them yet.

When launching my Radian I just power up until I can feel it wanting to go and I give it a push and away she goes on a gentle low climb. The Blaze however at this stage seems a bit more frantic and needs to be sent off faster and a little steeper. The pull of the motor is such that if I throttle up it will loop without any elevator input. I might try the underarm launch I saw on one one Youtube It's a new plane to me so it is bound to have some idiosycracies I need to get on top of.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Thanks guys for the tips. I did start to trawl through all the posts and after 30 pages I did a search and did not produce anything. I thought there may be a difference between the wings I could not see so I bought a new set. I have not fitted them yet.

When launching my Radian I just power up until I can feel it wanting to go and I give it a push and away she goes on a gentle low climb. The Blaze however at this stage seems a bit more frantic and needs to be sent off faster and a little steeper. The pull of the motor is such that if I throttle up it will loop without any elevator input. I might try the underarm launch I saw on one one Youtube It's a new plane to me so it is bound to have some idiosycracies I need to get on top of.
I've never tried the underhand method, and might have to give it a go.

My first try at a maiden ended quickly when I didn't give it enough throttle and didn't throw it hard enough.

I quickly learned that the blaze does not like to go slow and this includes launches. If you don't throw it hard enough to get past stall speed it will tip stall and likely crash.

My launching method is 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, left hand crossed over to the right stick for aileron and elevator control, and a good hard overhead chuck from under the wing, angled slightly upward. You don't need a javelin style windup or anything, but definitely don't just toss it like you would a sky surfer (bixler).

let us know how that new wing works out for you!
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post
... I quickly learned that the blaze does not like to go slow and this includes launches. If you don't throw it hard enough to get past stall speed it will tip stall and likely crash. ...!
I've noticed the Dynamic-S stock power train is different from the Blaze. It's KV rating is lower, I believe, but it has more torque... so it comes with a 12" prop in a slightly lower pitch. I think the net effect is that the stock D-S has more push than the Blaze... with less max velocity. One way the difference shows up is during launches: The D-S, for me anyway, doesn't require a "toss" at all... just a "release" and it's out of my hand and gone... on maybe 3/4 throttle?
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
This launch technique is quite interesting. Watdazit, Something is wrong if the Blaze is pulling up into a loop without elevator input. Assuming the balance and CG is correct then either a click or two of down on the elevator should sort it out or, alternatively, you may need to think about down thrust.

I launch over arm at about 60% throttle and perhaps at 20 degrees up angle. At this all my version requires is just a steady push forward and the Blaze climbs straight away. Once underway I then open up to full power with a smooth power up. Try to avoid banging power either on or off.

Please understand that I don't underestimate the Blaze but, if set up right, it isn't and should not be either difficult or scarey. For example with power off and launched with a steady level or very slightly down throw it should glide straight and level in a long glide around 200 metres to land. Sorry, assuming a light breeze and the throw is directly into that breeze.

The Radian is very different. I still enjoy flying mine but it is virtually free flight for much of the time during a flight with little or no input from me in fairly calm conditions. The Blaze is, like many similar style aircraft, a model that requires more concentration because it should be pretty neutral. If you put in an input it will not self correct. It has to be typically flown into a turn, through it and out of it. Not hard but a good learning curve for genuine warm liners.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
This launch technique is quite interesting. Watdazit, Something is wrong if the Blaze is pulling up into a loop without elevator input. Assuming the balance and CG is correct then either a click or two of down on the elevator should sort it out or, alternatively, you may need to think about down thrust..............
The down thrust adjustment has come to mind and whilst it would be fiddly it would be possible. Even my Radian will climb on full throttle but nothing like the Blaze.

Oldeman's information about the Dynamic motor and prop is interesting and I would like to see what Watts and Amps it is drawing. I have come from helis and there is not so much fiddling required with motors, batteries and blades as there is with planks so I am not sure whether what you say Oldeman is right but this is because I do not understand it and not because I think you are wrong. I was going to buy a Dynamic as airframe spares but the Oz warehouse is out of stock at present. HK may be looking for different feel from the Dynamic compared to a Blaze. I also think as far as HK are concerned cost may well into the equation. They might have a warehouse full of that motor.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:33 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
Well, as already mentioned I would check CG as the Blaze is a lovely flyer, mine has had two years of use and never had a problem, I do put a few clicks of down in on launch just to be sure.
Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:11 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
The fore aft COG is bang on the balance marks. This is the first plane I have had which has balanced where they said it should without adding lead.

I mentioned earlier I was having another problem as well as the plane was turning right and I had to give left aileron trim to correct it. A member at my club who also has a Blaze (his will also loop on full throttle) said he had a similar problem with a Fox and he had to balance the plane laterally (wing tip to wing tip). I have just checked the wings and the right side is heavier and I have to put 2 grams of weight on the opposite tip to balance it. Its dark at present but at the first opportunity I will test fly with the tip weight on.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:31 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
Another way to correct climbing when on high power is to mix some ELEVATOR DOWN into the throttle (if your transmitter will let you)
As regards it pulling one way, check to see that your wings are not twisted, if so pull them back with gentle heat.
Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwchris View Post
Another way to correct climbing when on high power is to mix some ELEVATOR DOWN into the throttle (if your transmitter will let you)
As regards it pulling one way, check to see that your wings are not twisted, if so pull them back with gentle heat.
Chris
Thanks for the mixing tip, I hadn't thought of that. I had checked the wings and as I said earlier except for the right aileron being a couple of mm high they are straight and set true on the fuselage. I had bought a spare set of wings for the inevitable need to carry out crash repairs and I will fit them if I cannot find the answer to the right turn problem. I will persevere at present and try the balanced wings as soon as I am able. Weather is not that good at present although I am not going to complain about the rain, it's always welcome in small bursts.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Interesting to see all the different opinions on this plane...

I find it one of the most relaxing flyers in my hangar, with hardly any bad habits at all.
With 60-70% throttle it launches with a light toss, and then I add throttle for a (almost) vertical climb...

ST Models Blaze maiden (3 min 30 sec)

This was my one of my first flights with the Blaze (or any kind of glider), bog standard straight out of the box. One of the easiest maidens I've ever had. I was actually so spoiled with the sweet handling of the Blaze that I planted my Radian Pro nose in on its maiden, expecting it to be as easy to handle as the Blaze

Only thing I do is to keep it as light as possible, prefer to fly with a 1300 battery, did not like her at all with a 2200, or a 1800 for that sake...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Last edited by KaiWE; Dec 02, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Fixed youtube-link
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
Something is wrong if the Blaze is pulling up into a loop without elevator input..
I also observed this behaviour and said so a few posts back. I too mentioned the elevator to throttle mix that I might try.

I figured it might be because my firewall has been uhhhh.... rebuilt.

Shimming in down thrust would be a difficult feat because the enging mounts are behind the firewall with very little room to work. Heck it can be a feat just to get the mount screws in without some sort of shimming to deal with too.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
Interesting to see all the different opinions on this plane....................Only thing I do is to keep it as light as possible, prefer to fly with a 1300 battery, did not like her at all with a 2200, or a 1800 for that sake...
My opinion of the Blaze is it's OK, my experience is that mine needs some tweeking for it to be any thing like a relaxing fly. Your flying style in the video does not push the Blaze, (no disrespect meant) and whilst your take off is calmer than mine I can fly like that all day once I have dialed in some Tx trim. My main problem is I should not have to dial in more than a couple of clicks of trim on any day depending upon the conditions. Planes are like everything else mechanical and electronic.They do vary box to box, almost like the Friday built car...a lemon. I just need to find my Blaze's sweet spot.

I agree with your battery choice, I found the 1800 made it too nose heavy...for me that is because some people like to fly a nose heavy plane. If I was going to do a lot of motor work I might look for a lighter 1800..I think A Zippy Compact might work..however as it is at present my neck aches too much if I stay up more than 10 minutes and I start to loose concentration. At 70 yo the latter is not hard.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:51 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
My opinion of the Blaze is it's OK, my experience is that mine needs some tweeking for it to be any thing like a relaxing fly. Your flying style in the video does not push the Blaze, (no disrespect meant) and whilst your take off is calmer than mine I can fly like that all day once I have dialed in some Tx trim. My main problem is I should not have to dial in more than a couple of clicks of trim on any day depending upon the conditions. Planes are like everything else mechanical and electronic.They do vary box to box, almost like the Friday built car...a lemon. I just need to find my Blaze's sweet spot.

I agree with your battery choice, I found the 1800 made it too nose heavy...for me that is because some people like to fly a nose heavy plane. If I was going to do a lot of motor work I might look for a lighter 1800..I think A Zippy Compact might work..however as it is at present my neck aches too much if I stay up more than 10 minutes and I start to loose concentration. At 70 yo the latter is not hard.
I totally agree with all you say here, especially regarding the variations in build - and then we have the variations brought in by the different pilots...

The video was meant to illustrate the take off, rest of the flying was as you said not pushing it, it was the maiden after all

I have since then put in a lot of more flying hours on it, and I now fly my Blaze with a NTM35-30/1100Kv (40A speed control) spinning a 10x7 carbon prop (on high C 1300's), logging speeds close to 100mph on the eagle tree logger and still find it a very well behaved and predictable plane. Still on the same basic trim settings as the first day - guess I was just lucky and got a god sample

BTW, It is one of my favorite planes in windy conditions (up there with my Stryker), loves how it handles the wind.
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:53 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
Well, you do beat me Watdazit as I'm a couple of years younger than you

I use Airstrike 65C 3S 1300 packs which work beautifully for me. I do like to fly my Blaze as fast as is possible but it is, of course, slower than true warm or fast liners simply because of so little inertia. So, it's a great halfway house which is why it is such a fun model to take out especially if the weather is a bit breezy.

The Blaze will cut through most stuff and then coming into land it can be virtually hovered providing the wind is fairly constant.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson