HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
818 Posts
Have you guys tried a power off fast pass yet? I flew one at my club the other week and it is definatly a quicker model power off. I think it had a bigger battery then you guys are using like a 3s 2500 or something (it wasn't my plane so I can't be sure). Like all hotliners (well like those I've flown anyway) the prop just creates too much drag even at full power. Just get to height, shut the power, stick the nose down and pull up as low as you dare. :P It runs out of momentum quickly being a foamie and all but thats how I got it the quickest, just after I pulled out. I also found that keeping the prop spinning a little bit right untill the last second before touchdown also helps control landing speed.
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:36 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Spot on there, yes power off is best for speed. It's an electric assist glider not a regular power plane. It does pick up speed nicely in vertical dive from height but I have found that the control sometimes goes a bit 'wooly' when I do this, I think it's the control surfaces/airframe flexing too much. Not noticed any flutter though.
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:13 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
818 Posts
Yeah your right, there seems to be some minor blowback on the surfaces at the highest speeds but nothing I didn't expect considering its a 120 foamie. Still in control but just a little less than usual. I still managed to pull out at a foot off the deck every time.
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
With regard to the blow-back issue, I think the elevators could beneft from a thin piece of carbon adding (like the ailerons have), and this could just add that little bit of extra rigidity needed to stop them distorting at high speeds. I will try it on mine and let you know in due course.
Anyway, My Blaze is now done and just needs my radio programming to complete the process prior to flying. The AUW came out at 924g (brochure is 900g) and I think this is due to the 2200mAh battery (which weighs 171g in itself), the replacement propeller and the Multiplex Blizzard spinner. The C of G is exactly on the markers (under the wing) with the battery as far rearward as it'll go although I might put some ballast in the tail after the trimming flight, if needed.
As can be seen in the photos the supplied decals have gone on without any trimming required and fit the wing and tail outline perfectly. Maybe there are some inconsistencies in the factory cutting, but mine are 100% so I'm very pleased with the outcome. To make sure they don't lift at the edges, I have sealed them in place with a covering iron set to a very low heat (with a cotton sole cover). I use this method with all my foam models and have yet to see any decals start peeling back so it obviously works OK.
For the money I think ST Model have yet again made a stunning looking kit with some innovative ideas and perhaps the rest of the world's model manufacturers should take note.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
Quick update: I've fitted a piece of flat strip carbon to each of the elevators. These are simply pieces of 0.5mm x 1mm carbon strip (any deeper than 1mm and there's a danger of going completly through the foam) cyano'd into a slit very carefully cut with a scalpel blade. This has stiffened up the foam a little bit, but perhaps not as much as I'd hoped. The proof will be in the flying I suppose.......
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
OK hoping to maiden mine tomorrow eve as the v-tail mixer is fitted (nice bit of kit for 4 quid)

So any tips for a good launch?? what throttle are you guys using? are you raising the elevators a notch or two on the tx or leaving them level with the tail surface?

I have its cog bang on the wing marks with a 2200 3s pushed all the way back so we will see how she flys??

Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Only tips I have... is keep the rates mild if you are launching yourself and find some long grass if possible.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
OK, maiden flight completed, but before I give my thoughts I'll share my control surface settings as the instructions give degrees, not units of length:
Ailerons; +20mm, -12mm.
Elevator; +10mm, -15mm. (I like plenty of down for insurance during inverted manoeuvres)
Rudder; +/- 12mm
Spoilers (up ailerons for landing); +17mm with -4mm elevator mix to stop nose up pitch.
Ailerons down (thermal) -4mm
Ailerons up (speed) + 3mm
Stock motor with Multiplex spinner and Aeronaut 11" x 6.5" carbon blades.
Pentium 40A ESC
Overlander 25C 2200mAh 3s LiPo
Multiplex 2.4GHz M-Link 7ch Rx
AUW 924g (32.5ozs). Factory recommendation is 900g
Motor current draw is 38.4 Amps (static reading) for approx. 403 Watts

The flight:
I used about 75% power for the launch and immediately the Blaze was climbing vertical into the 6MPH breeze. Once in the circuit and on the glide I only had to dial in 1 beep ('click' in old money) of left aileron for straight and level flight, the rest seemed perfect. I have the CG set at the rear of the target decal (- 7mm) and in a dive the Blaze just starts to pull up on it's own so I guess the factory setting is quite safe. I flew a few basic aerobatic manoeuvres and as reported before on this forum, the roll rate is sedate (even power 'on'), so build up some speed if intending to roll at low altitude! Loops are very easy and can be as large or tight as required with no screwing out, and the rudders whilst not overly powerful, still give enough authority for accurate stall turns or side slipping. Spins are a bit more of a spiral dive, even with some aileron added, but then again, this is a motor glider not a pattern ship. Inverted only needs a slight amount of forward stick (CG dependant), but the plane seems happy enough doing multiple circuits on it's head. The stall is very benign and is easily spotted early on with waggling wings and a wallowing flight path. It needs very little height to regain level flight if caught early on, or you can just apply some power and fly it out of course. The amount of spoilerons I've used gives a very controllable landing phase and the elevator compensation I'm using means that I'm using a bit of back stick to maintain level flight, but this is how I prefer it.
Having had two Blizzards before (one power, one pure glider) I can compare the Blaze's performance directly so here goes: IMO the Blaze retains it's speed better in turns (on the glide), but the Blizzard seemed faster in a turn power on and in a terminal velocity (power off) dive. The Blaze makes a nicer 'soft' whistle during a fast glide and can be landed at a lower speed, but the roll rate seems slower than the Blizzard, although more aileron control movement may address the problem. The looks? The Blaze wins hands down for me and not only that it's a lot more of a bargain overall (especially if kept standard), and you don't need to buy shares in a cyano company to construct it. Given the choice now, I would not even give the Blizzard a second look , but I'd like to thank Multiplex for supplying the perfect size colour coded spinner for the Blaze!
Overall then, I'm very pleased with my Blaze and IMHO ST Model have produced yet another winner, very well done to the design team!

P.S.
Because the battery has to go right at the rear of the compartment under the wing and needs unrestricted access for fitting/removal, I mounted the Rx (on Velcro) directly above to keep it well away from the ESC (See photo).
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jun 26, 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect data
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Nice review there mate, well done.

Jim.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:52 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
I forgot to mention that the motor and LiPo were only just luke warm after landing despite quite a few full power climbs and general hooning about, however, the ESC was quite warm to the touch. From this experience I think that the motor could take an in flight load of 40A, but I'm not sure whether or not it would be running over it's peak efficiency at that. I also forgot to mention that I didn't experience any 'soft' elevator response (blow back) during a vertical dive so maybe the carbon strip in the elevators did their job. I think more testing is required on this issue just to be sure though. Weather permitting I'll have another flight tomorrow and report my findings.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:41 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
Had another flight today, but I swapped out the 11" x 6.5" for an Aeronaut Cam Carbon 10" x 7" just for curiosity's sake and got a surprise. This new prop draws roughly 4 Amps less (34.2 Amps and approx 360 Watts) than the other, but the difference is noticable. The motor obviously revs higher, but the vertical climb is quicker as is the acceleration off the glide so it would appear that the motor is over propped at 11". What still puzzles me though is the low measured power with the stock propeller as it's only an inch down on pitch to what I've just used.
Anyway, I tried a very high altitude vertical dive and this time there was a definite 'soft' feeling to the elevator control. That's not to say that it wouldn't pull out of the dive, but it felt like I only had half the available movement, or low rates on. Not 100% sure yet what's going on, but fore warned is fore armed as the saying goes.

Anyone else care to comment on their findings?

P.S.
IMHO it still needs more aileron movement as I can't roll at the rate shown in the promotional video.
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jun 27, 2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:03 AM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Well I maidened my Blaze yesterday morning and all went well, very pleased to be honest as it basically flew straight from the box, only needed a click or to of adjustment.
Very predictable on the tips stall which is good and also I find that I am using the rudder more with a glider than I did with the PZ warbirds !!! not a bad thing though.
Very pleased over all and looking forward to my next outing !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
P.S.
IMHO it still needs more aileron movement as I can't roll at the rate shown in the promotional video.
Good old trade descriptions act !!!! maybe you should drop them a line about what can and cant be achived !!!

Jim.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:06 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post

Good old trade descriptions act !!!! maybe you should drop them a line about what can and cant be achived !!!

Jim.
I'm rarely surprised when a manufacturers/distributors decides to soup products up for review or hand pick components/motors....

A well cut together video can also make something look a lot faster
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:39 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
I've just had another flight with increased aileron throws and the rate is now very close to that shown in the video (I now have 25mm up and 20 mm down). I also increased the down elevator mix for the spoilerons and when they're fully deployed the plane roughly descends on an even keel. This will vary with wind speed of course, but the elevator stick input needed will be very little.
All in all the Blaze is a real pleasure to fly, unlike my MPX Blizzard, but then I had high expectations as it was advertised as a 'Hotliner' but without major modification this can never be. ST Model have made no such false claims and only advertise it as a motor glider, therefore the overall experience for me has been a lot better. It should have been advertised as "ST Model Warmliner, no cyano or false hopes needed!".
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
But it is a good intro to powered gliders, and as you have shown it is easy to up grade to a better performance plane.