Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,650 Posts
and with 3 cells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Divide the max 580W by the max 42A current, = 13.81V.
Would have to come from the 4s.
right. wonder what watts-and thrust-could we get with 3 cells.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
That e-calc program should give you a good approximation.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
...snip...
A little digression here, for a point. My first foray into RCG was looking for info on my first foamy - the (now) well-known Bixler. ...snip... "we" transformed that plane into an almost bullet-proof foamy...snip...
Now, it might seem like I have a lot to say in these 'rooms' ...snip... but, it's the environment I was "born" in and key to it all is the sharing of information. ...snip.. I'm somewhat disappointed in the small amount of similar participation we get here ...snip... in the words of the not-so-humble John Boy: "Y'in, y'out?"
Speaking for myself...

I'm just finishing up reading thru all 50+ pages of discussion in this thread.. and watching the vids... and enjoying the photos... and making a LOT of notes... because I'm just about to maiden my new Dynamic-S. I'm excited by everything I've seen here, and worried about some of the problems discussed.

Where it seemed appropriate, I've already incorporated tips and suggestions from my notes, and I feel like my D-S is well prepared. I may not be ready for my plane... but I feel like the plane is ready for me. So, thank you, to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

StarHopper... I recognize you and a number of others are trying to locate and fix the cause of a flight control issue that has plagued your airplanes. (I'll know, soon enough, if I'll be joining your club.) Surely this thread is being read by a diverse mix of hobbyists. Hopefully, the percentage of those who have experienced this issue is small! Of those, I'll bet the percentage of their time devoted to this thread in any given week is small. Of those, I'll even guess, the percentage who feel technically savvy enough to contribute meaningfully is small. A small percentage of a small percentage of a small percentage... makes it (I hope) understandable that participation in your quest is less than you hoped.

Still, I am living proof that everything you've posted is being read and digested. With any luck, my maiden flight tomorrow will go well, in part, because of stuff I'm learning from you. Either way, I'm going to have a blast tomorrow, and I'm going to keep reading this thread.

I'll ask questions when I'm feeling stupid (which is often) and, at any moment, if I think I have something worth contributing back to the group... I'm in.
OldeMan is online now Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Well thanks for that under any regard, OM....and let me note the post you cited was written at a time of particularly 'slow' traffic here & I was feeling like I's "preaching in the desert" to coin an old phrase. Thankfully, things turned upwards shortly after - a revival of sorts - and it's been good. With continued participation like yours & others that come into the fold, and especially those who might've turned their focus onto newer planes in their hangars (it happens!) but are still a part of the 'hood, we can keep the thread alive. As for me, AFAIK at this point, I plan to be a part as long as my input is wanted.

And thanks for taking the time to express yourself -- that's appreciated too.

Oh and (almost forgot!) -- GOOD LUCK on your maiden tomorrow. IF I might make a couple of suggestions:
Unless you are very experienced, you'll find the plane 'twitchy' and quick to respond to controls - and response is somewhat extreme (the 'twitchy') . These are the settings I was given by a friend & his 2 buddies who all fly Blazes together:
>Mix Gear to elevator,* 10% no more! This will give gentle climb on take off.
*(Assigned 'Launch' mode - switch on our DX6i Tx)
>Start with 65% expo on ailerons. High rate 100% throw; low rate = 45% Expo 50% throw
>On elevator, start at same settings then you can change to your liking. but this makes a nice easy flyer.
>Make sure you balance it!! [re CoG]
>Do not get slow in any sharp turns it will snap!!!!
(And I can't emphasize that last one enough!)

And one final bit: quickly get it up to at least a couple hundred feet or even as high as you can see it well before you peg the throttle or try anything besides basic climbing, then wring 'er out to see what she'll do. When you get up there, open it up & try some gentle then sharper turns left & right, & also check elevator response while at higher speed. All that should pretty well 'define' the plane for you.

And by all means, let us know how it goes!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
Hey -- that's good stuff right there. You outline a gentler setup than I have already prepared. I'll dial mine down as you recommend. As for the flight constraints, I'll do my best to follow those as well. Goal #1 is: Everything comes home in one piece.

As for the age of your post that I quoted: Oh yeah... I'm still about 6 pages back in my reading. Glad to hear things improve in the final chapter -- but now you've spoiled the ending! Ah we'll... I'll finish catching up tonight.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
... I'm still about 6 pages back in my reading. ...-- but now you've spoiled the ending! ...

Thanks again.
I spoiled....?!?! That you had 6 pages yet to go should'a been some kinda clue, ya think?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
The first flight of my new Dynamic-S happened today! Holy frijoles, what a rush. One thing is certain, I am not accustomed to flying slippery fast airplanes... but I'm going to enjoy learning. Spoiler alert: It came home in one piece... if you don't count the prop.

I set up the throws and expo, as you suggested -- thank you. I didn't do the launch-switch idea, however. As it turns out, it lifted smoothly out of my hand at about half throttle, and slid away beautifully. Then we spent an eternity of minutes getting to know each other. Gentle turns, generally under three-quarter throttle the whole time, just slicker than snot. I couldn't get over the slippery smooth feeling of it. Quietest plane I've ever heard... whistling by... I was genuinely awed.

Then I tried to land. Good heavens -- wish I picked a longer field. I had actually programmed in flaperons and spoilerons... but was too worried about deploying either without more testing. So I landed hot (for me). Caught a wing tip and spun in sideways... all OK. Checked on the ESC, checked the radio log, checked everything, and was very pleased.

So I threw it up again. Tinkered around for a while, and decided to climb. Wow -- can that thing climb! It was a dot in the sky in a flash. Circled back down a bit and played with the flaperons and spoilerons. Honestly, though, it was still too high for me to judge if either setting had much effect. Certainly nothing "bad" happened, so I guess it'll be safe to test them closer down next time. On this flight, anyway, I decided it was time to quit while I was ahead.

Second landing, still too hot. I was sinking in, smokin' along, and quickly approaching the end of my field. An instant before hitting the ground, I became convinced it was going to end up embedded in the side of my car, and hit the throttle to go around. Mistake, prop hit the ground and broke, the jolt torqued a wing tip into the ground, spun it to the ground. Pretty low energy... plane was fine... but the prop paid the price for my mistake. The good news is... my car is safe.

I love this plane. And I need a new prop... now... I still have half a weekend left!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
Oh... almost forgot: No excessive trim required... no bad behavior at slower speeds. It flew beautifully. All it needed was a pilot with more experience. I hope to get it one soon.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,960 Posts
I guess every one will have their own idea of how the Blaze works. For me it is a really pleasant docile model compared with true warm or hot liners. That being said I love taking it out in a bit of a blow when it can be nearly hovered into a landing but still cope with the wind during the flight.

I use Aeronaut blades but with the original spinner/adapter but I get the feeling a replacement motor may be on the cards at some time as it is a touch clanky if the power is banged on. Not looking for much more power just smoothness.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Nov 18, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:50 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Congrats on your (mostly) successful maiden OM! And yeah, they don't taxi too well, does they? *LMAO* Be advised - I cracked up a bit at "Holy frijoles, what a rush."

And I like your description of 'slick'. I got the same feeling.

One piece of advice if I may - everybody warns me to stay away from flaperons especially on landing. Sets up too many bad things that can happen. Haven't actually experienced it myself - just, when I asked, that's what the concensus advised me so never set 'em up.
Have a read if you care to get details: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23229172

Oops, almost forgot to ask - how'd she do at high speed? ie control responses, & rolling or veering off?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
SH: I checked your links, re flaperons vs spoilerons, and founds two gems that put things in perspective for me (I'm paraphrasing here -- not direct quotes):

Flaps increase lift at a given speed, allowing you to slow down more than usual while landing. The danger is -- if you retract the flaps while still at that abnormally slower speed, you'll stall. If you need to go around... add throttle... don't retract the flaps until you are back up to normal speed.

Spoilerons decrease lift at a given speed, allowing you to sink in faster when landing at normal speed. The danger is -- if you don't maintain normal landing speed, you'll stall. You don't get to go any slower than normal with spoilerons. If you need to go around, you can simply retract the spoilerons.

That said, having the ability to land slower or sink faster is a choice for each pilot and their judgement of what is best for their aircraft. (Thus the religious wars.)

For some a/c: Flaperons might have an extra strike against them... if they'll be belly landing and they are low-wing... flaperons will hit first and risk serious damage.

Haven't made up my mind yet. Just for fun factor, I'll probably play with both for a bit.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
385 Posts
Oops... *sigh* ... I always forget one thing: Very little high speed stuff to judge by. Was trying to keep it mid-speed for comfort.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
I set mine up with both, flaps and spoilers. Its fun to slow it down with flaps till just a tick or two above the ground then 'kill' it with the spoilers and land quickly.

My transimitter (Old futaba t9cap) has twist knobs, twist left for flaps, right for spoilers, and in the center for ... nothing. It is also proportional so I can put just a little flap or alot. I have been told that you might even thermal with just a touch of flaps in for a slow cruise.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I use 2 three-way switches on my DX-8 to get the configs I use.
Flight mode switch up for Reflex, mid for Cruise and down for Camber and the Flap switch up for spoilerons, normal in the middle and down for flaperons...

And I agree with UlteriorModem, great fun to play with flaperons/spoilerons to get "precision" landings
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:07 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
I use 2 three-way switches on my DX-8 to get the configs I use.
Flight mode switch up for Reflex, mid for Cruise and down for Camber and the Flap switch up for spoilerons, normal in the middle and down for flaperons...

And I agree with UlteriorModem, great fun to play with flaperons/spoilerons to get "precision" landings
How'd you guys configure your arms-horns linkage to get both effects?
Differential? Any over-travel on the servos? Or reversals?
RCG Plus Member