HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Hey all! Finally had a chance to properly maiden my Blaze after an initial mishap involving an intermittent rx antenna attachment (Blaze, meet ground!).

I was honestly thinking it would be a little quicker at full throttle and climb a bit faster. I've already replaced the factory esc with a hobbywing 40 amp (60 amp burst) w/ switching BEC.

What prop can you recommend for a good time for the stock motor and 40 amps (at 3s)? I've heard mostly 10x7 and 10x8. Seems I can find the 10x8 a little easier. Would that draw too much power for the ESC though or would it be fine?
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,446 Posts
Can't remember who but the recommendation most everyone agreed with was 10x7. In my notes I have recorded: "One of the best mods you can do is swap out the stock ESC for a 40A one and put on Aeronaut 10x7 folding props. Truly unlimited vertical."
Based on that, my upgrade from the stock 10x6 was to an Aero≈Naut Carbon 10x7 .... and no complaints with speed except, maybe a tad too much for my particular airframe.

Trial of a 10x8 would be interesting - with the 40A ESC upgrade it could prolly handle it but I'd sure hit the Watt Meter beore committing to it. You can also run a thread search on '10x8' & see what others have said about it. Most hits are simply notes about 'gonna get' or 'gonna try' & such, or refs/quotes about other mentions, but the two most notable posts I saw are:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=451
&
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=556

Let us know how it goes!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post

What prop can you recommend for a good time for the stock motor and 40 amps (at 3s)? I've heard mostly 10x7 and 10x8. Seems I can find the 10x8 a little easier. Would that draw too much power for the ESC though or would it be fine?
Get a Aeronaut CAM 10x6 or 10x7 from:

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx

Esprit are very good to deal with. You won't have any problems with them. Remember that in choosing a folding prop you need to know what shoulder size to get. The CAM all have an 8mm shoulder and that will fit your stock yoke.

Even with the 60 amp ESC, I would not venture past the 10x7 with out putting a Power Analyzer on the system to see what the amp draw is.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Quick question about the 'stock' esc.

What size is it? How to you program the brake?

I ask about the size because it seems a little small to be 30 amp. Looks comprable to an 18 amp that I have.

I ask about the brake cause I have no documenation whatsoever on it.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Programming is just like all the other generic ECS.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Quick question about the 'stock' esc.

What size is it? How to you program the brake?
From memory I think it was something simple like, just binding at full throttle, wait for two beeps, then drop throttle to zero. I could be wrong though, as it was a while back when I did mine.

Mine
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:12 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,446 Posts
I think I have the info, but I'll have to find & let you know tomorrow.
In fact, all I'd have would be the owner's manual - I think it was in there. If you have yours, you should be able to look yourself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,446 Posts
Followup:
OK - it is. Look on Page 9 'Test The Radio Control System'.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
From memory I think it was something simple like, just binding at full throttle, wait for two beeps, then drop throttle to zero. I could be wrong though, as it was a while back when I did mine.

Mine
Give the man a cigar!

I actually blunderd into this when putzing around with it.

Oh and no manual.. but thanks.

The ESC still seems a little small for 30 amp.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Give the man a cigar!
Very kind, but I dont smoke. Beer or whisky accepted

Quote:
The ESC still seems a little small for 30 amp.
Regards your ESC concerns. Several people reported ESC failure if flown continuously at full throttle. I've been flying mine on 2200mah 20-30c for since purchase without any ESC problems. Many flights have been in high winds, so if the ESC was going to cook I think it would have by now on the upwind leg of these flights. Just fly it

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:29 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
...Regards your ESC concerns. Several people reported ESC failure if flown continuously at full throttle. I've been flying mine on 2200mah 20-30c for since purchase without any ESC problems. Many flights have been in high winds, so if the ESC was going to cook I think it would have by now on the upwind leg of these flights. Just fly it
Mick
If you re-read what he said, I think he was talking about its physical size being small for a 30A, not its cap'y rating or performance per se. In other words, questioning if it is a 30-Amp'r, based on its size. At least that's how I took it....tho I might well have misunderstood the intent of his comment, myself!

@UM:
I fried mine in a bench-test accident before the maiden & tossed it, else I'd measure it & tell you the size -- perhaps someone else can volunteer?

And if you have concerns about its carrying capacity, I'll reiterate my earlier note about ""One of the best mods you can do is swap out the stock ESC for a 40A one and put on Aeronaut 10x7 folding props" - taken from an early recommendation in this thread, which I did. I installed that prop & a Turnigy D-Lux 40A SBEC; ran the heck out of it & it barely gets warm.

As Bravo said, just fly it - proof's in the pudding. Get up to some altitude & stay close enough to dead-stick it if it fails, dog it a bit, bring it in quickly & test-feel it if you don't have a thermometer, and adjust as needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Oh yea no problem with expelling magic smoke

I did note that the ESC that was given to me had heat swrink wrap which covered the heat sink fins. Maybe not a big deal but I went ahead and took the xacto to it to expose the fins. Man that heat shrink can be tough stuff!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Oh yea no problem with expelling magic smoke

I did note that the ESC that was given to me had heat swrink wrap which covered the heat sink fins. Maybe not a big deal but I went ahead and took the xacto to it to expose the fins. Man that heat shrink can be tough stuff!
I know-w-w-w-w-w!! I've done that with a few of my planes & ain't never got it as neat as I'd like. One prob's my fear of cutting something critical.....the other I guess is my inate inability to get knives, saws & sundry blades to follow the path I want. Same on the foams....my surgeries tend to end up making Frankenstein look like a high fashion model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
So I re-maidened the Blaze this morning, after making a couple of trips to the hardware store (forgot the wing bolts). It flew fine, about like expected the slow roll rate got me at first but I worked into it. After a few minutes of flying I decided to let er rip got to altitude pushed the nose down and cranked up the throttle. Thats when I heard it, a funky buzz I thought I had thrown a prop blade. So I backed way off and landed fine.

Picked it up and looked at it and the plastic nose cone is full of stress cracks some running the entire lenghth of the plastic. Lucky the motor dident pop out of the thing!

Which brings me to my next question. Is there any kind of adhesive/glue that will stick to that kind of plastic? I read somewhere that silicone 'caulk' might work.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
So I re-maidened the Blaze this morning, after making a couple of trips to the hardware store (forgot the wing bolts). It flew fine, about like expected the slow roll rate got me at first but I worked into it. After a few minutes of flying I decided to let er rip got to altitude pushed the nose down and cranked up the throttle. Thats when I heard it, a funky buzz I thought I had thrown a prop blade. So I backed way off and landed fine.

Picked it up and looked at it and the plastic nose cone is full of stress cracks some running the entire lenghth of the plastic. Lucky the motor dident pop out of the thing!

Which brings me to my next question. Is there any kind of adhesive/glue that will stick to that kind of plastic? I read somewhere that silicone 'caulk' might work.
This glider is not designed for powered dives.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection