HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's Russian -- anyway I think I've found The Solution for these misbehaving Blazes! Gotta get me one of these Russian gyro's ... for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sXUeO3auRZg

(Just try to keep from laughing!)
LOL funny vid. That chicken is an ex Quad test pilot I think
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
& just think.....if your plane crashes & burns, or the LiPo explodes, you at least get a chicken dinner out of it!
(where do I sign up?!?)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey guys, I have a new Dynamic-S and it looks exactly like the Blaze. I have been reading hit and miss here and saw a problem my D-S has. It seem's as though the right(starboard)wing is thicker, at least where they join, than the left(port)wing. I had read where a couple people who maiden-ed there D-S said it flew great with no trim, or very little. On my maiden I had my port wing aileron trimmed up, too much in my book, to fly level. Would that be the different weight of each wing? Would adiing weight solve this? I am quite sure this is the same airframe as the Blaze, at least in design Overall I love this new experience flying a "glider", albeit with power. I flew today in a good blow and flew for about a half hour gliding around up in the sky. I'm glad I saw that I am not alone with this thicker wing problem, I am sane!! Thank's, Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:10 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Hey guys, I have a new Dynamic-S and it looks exactly like the Blaze. I have been reading hit and miss here and saw a problem my D-S has. It seem's as though the right(starboard)wing is thicker, at least where they join, than the left(port)wing. I had read where a couple people who maiden-ed there D-S said it flew great with no trim, or very little. On my maiden I had my port wing aileron trimmed up, too much in my book, to fly level. Would that be the different weight of each wing? Would adiing weight solve this? I am quite sure this is the same airframe as the Blaze, at least in design Overall I love this new experience flying a "glider", albeit with power. I flew today in a good blow and flew for about a half hour gliding around up in the sky. I'm glad I saw that I am not alone with this thicker wing problem, I am sane!! Thank's, Dave/ZZ
Yep, getting the wings the same will help, but whether it completely solves the issue is another matter. Look for any twists in the wings that change their individual incidences.

Word of warning on the motor: the Blaze motor is only supposed to be used in full power bursts for climbing up. So, be aware that you might be stressing the ESC if you keep the motor running for a) more than 20-seconds or b) run at partial throttle.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:07 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Hey guys, I have a new Dynamic-S and it looks exactly like the Blaze. I have been reading hit and miss here and saw a problem my D-S has. It seem's as though the right(starboard)wing is thicker, at least where they join, than the left(port)wing.
With mine Dave I ran a pen line at the wing join, then removed the wing and shaved a little foam off the wing in order to drop the wing and correct the wing alignment. I think the balance weight is not an issue as I tried sitting mine on the kitchen table with the nose overhanging up to the leading edge of the wing and it appeared well balanced.
I'm loving this aircraft now after it carved up the breeze this morning again. The only thing I'm thinking about doing is down sizing the spinning because if you drive it to full throttle there is a nasty tail flutter from the prop wash. Its ok as stock but generally I'm not going much past 3/4 throttle which still offers plenty of vertical.

Mick
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:01 AM
Mex
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2007
119 Posts
Dave, can you make a picture for me of both wings to see the diffrence i'm realy curious how it looks
Mex is offline Find More Posts by Mex
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Y'all need to go see my new post in (electric plane talk) for my experience today... "My best day ever". I had a blast and LOVE this type of flying, I am a convert for sure, me and the hawk Dave/ZZ...BTW, I put my watt meter on this a.m. and @ WOT I got 355.2 watts and 29.93amps. I can't find any spec's on this planes power setup.
Last edited by zeezee; Sep 09, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
All the stars & planets & weather finally lined up yesterday & produced a glorious day for flying, and after the club meeting, got to re-maiden the Viagara-ized Blaze with stiffy flaps. It worked. In spades.

But. And there's always a but, ain't there? It took 74% of left aileron trim to get 'er to track right - right as in 'correctly', not directionally. Afterwards I got someone to stand off aways & visually check the wings' for twist while I held it in place and after some long hard staring, he thought the right wing had a bit of washout & the left some wash-in. I'm gonna just take his word for it, seeing as how that would produce the right-roll many of us are cursed with. How best to fix it - permanently - is a bit of a mystery.....and perhaps moot at this point.

That being becuz, on the 2d flight, I pulled a really dumb-asser & crashed 'er. While checking on something I inadvertantly left the Tx on a setup with no expo, leaving the Blaze with its heightened reactions with the stiffys, twitchier'n a 6-yo kid on a double espresso latte overdose. And then the funny stuff started. I launched, pretty as you please, took 'er straight up to about 100', turned right to come into the pattern & level off & right then knew there was trouble in paradise. I brought it to the south end & turned back over the runway trying to get a feel, & every slight tic of the control sticks producing a violent reaction. I had little option but to slow 'er down & get it back down & make ajustments, turned too sharply at the upwind end & a gust caught it. In correcting, I was already down to about 40' & the too-sharp turn - well I can't say it snapped on me, but whatever happened it happened in a blink & it was nose-first in the dirt like an arrow.

Damage: around the cockpit sidewalls looks like a Pekingese; both CF side-enforcements popped loose, motor full of soft dirt, & wings separated ~1/4". Internally the plywood tray got plowed by the 1800mAh Nano-Tech, which also took a slight upward bend which has me concerned. It had to sleep in the Safety Bag atop a couple of bricks on the back deck last night - 'just in case'.

And right now I'm so disgusted at both myself & the Blaze & myself all over again, I don't know if I'm even gonna bother puttin' it back together.

That's all!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Right Wing Washout

Quote:
But. And there's always a but, ain't there? It took 74% of left aileron trim to get 'er to track right - right as in 'correctly', not directionally. Afterwards I got someone to stand off aways & visually check the wings' for twist while I held it in place and after some long hard staring, he thought the right wing had a bit of washout & the left some wash-in. I'm gonna just take his word for it, seeing as how that would produce the right-roll many of us are cursed with. How best to fix it - permanently - is a bit of a mystery.....and perhaps moot at this point.
So I'm NOT the only one who can see this washout! I've been questioning the straightness of my eyesight since i got no responses to the post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Looking closely I think I can now see some right wing wash out. The right side wing can be seen to curving up more than the left side - wash out - which would reduced the lift on the right side and hence the need for the LEFT trim!

To pick this up I looked down the length of the wing. With the wing upside down looking from wing tip towards the center, with the wing tip held at eye level. I then end quickly end-for-ended the wings and compared left to right. I'd like a more accurate way that I could actually measure it.

Question now is how to remove this wash out being that the wing has so much reinforcement. Perhaps some strategic fiberglass tape placed down with the wing 'over twisted' in the right direction. Perhaps a heat gun?
I hate to quote myself, but it seems that we need to bump this topic in order to get some responses from those that have had success in permanently fixing washout in foam wings.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Buggar!

Quote:
That being becuz, on the 2d flight, I pulled a really dumb-asser & crashed 'er. ... whatever happened it happened in a blink & it was nose-first in the dirt like an arrow.
Sorry to hear this SH. The Blaze/Dyn-S is very responsive to roll and I would hate to try and land it with no expo! It reminds me of my own crash, coincidentally on my 2nd flight also. All over in a blink of an eye.

Others talk about this plane being 'stable'. Mine is far from it. I still suspect that flying with all this Aileron trim cannot be helping low speed turns and possibly promotes the early onset of a tip stall?
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Others talk about this plane being 'stable'. Mine is far from it. I still suspect that flying with all this Aileron trim cannot be helping low speed turns and possibly promotes the early onset of a tip stall?
I think mine is pretty stable now, but I do add power through the turn, particularly during low altitude turns. I've had two low speed tip stalls during turns on my landing approaches in my early flights. I only have few clicks of left dialed in now as well. All that being said though I've only been flying of late in windy conditions so my wing is less likely to tip on the approach and down wind I'm moving pretty quick. I',m also considering down sizing the stock Dynamic-S spinner due to the savage tail flutter I get when punching full throttle. So on my next order from HobbyKing I'm thinking of ordering some smaller spinners, or perhaps just backing off the throttle end point a bit.

Mick
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Thanx guys. If anyone cares to see how the Blaze flew with the skinned (hardened) Ails & Elev, it's no Hollywood production but I put up a vidi last night. The first couple laps up & down the field we were getting the roll trimmed out before cuttin' 'er loose. You can see how much (remarkably!) better it handles aerobatics now, so the improvements are a definite help.

It still wants to shake off commands at highest speeds but, that's why th' Good Lord gave us throttle sticks, I guess.

There was also a camera aboard atop the wing filming the tail, and it gets outright scary at points - "savage" is a good description. But at least the flaps aren't laying down in the wind any more!
120909 Blaze Re Maiden GndCam (6 min 40 sec)

Note the little 'gust hop' it does just before touching down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I do not like doing riggs like this but in the process of fixing this planes wing problem I am pulling out all the stop's. My latest "fix" is the addition of a small wedge on the top end of the starboard wing to alleviate using almost full aileron trim. It's a piece of thin cardboard 1-1/4"x3" with a 1/8" piece of balsa under the back to act as aileron trim. I just used some tape to affix it on the wing. As I broke my prop on the last flight before this mod I have not been able to test it yet. Hopefully my stuff will arrive from Heads Up RC tomorrow so I can get her back in the air. I "crashed" because I had the aileron trimmed to much and didn't have enough throw. I believe this will solve the problem and if it does that will be the end of it for me, the mod will stay.....I can't see it 25' away from me... I am glad to see some activity on this thread, which should be renamed the Blaze/Dynamic-S thread!!!!! They are the same plane, the manual for the D-S has picture's of the Blaze in it for reference...Dave/ZZ Wish I could fly it, it may be too much, might need only a 1/16"...it's gotta work though........
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Wow. Instead of all that, why not just trim the aileron out mechanically, ie adjusting your pushrod's length?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
because I want the ailerons even with the wing for use as flaperons or spoilerons and it was a 1 min. fix. ZZ