SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Sorry for the repeat post on the decals guys, ok so where am I at the mo?? well she is all together but not perminantly fixed the electricd in yet as I am waiting for a v-tail mixer to arrive, when thats in I can start working on the cog. Gonna stick with the 1300 3s for the time being and see how she flys with the little less weight.

I put some hi-viz decals on the underside of the wings to help with orientation.

Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:52 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks good Jim, where did yo get your Hi Viz decals from. As I need to do something similar to mine.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Its some stuff I had laying around in the garage, I got it from one of those companies who put decals on cars,vans, bikes etc, just popped in and asked if they had an off cut of yellow hi-viz !!!

BTW you guys who have already got your blaze airbourne need to get some vids on youtube as there aint any apart from the official Ripmax one !!!

Claim to fame !!! first to get a vid of the blaze on you tube !!! lol

ps think the prop spinner would look better in white so I may try and source one at a later date.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:04 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Has no one uprated their Blaze yet ? I'd be interested to hear about alternative powertrains, etc.....
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:52 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelUK View Post
Has no one uprated their Blaze yet ? I'd be interested to hear about alternative powertrains, etc.....
Give us chance, only got one today!
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
this looks interesting as my ParkZone Radian I wished sometimes
had more caffiene in her (I think the St Blaze fits the bill)

is there a Plane like the St. Blaze, but has 2meter wingspan?
(price range and mild performance also like the St.Blaze)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
124 Posts
Well got to play with my Blaze on Sunday, winds variable from about 8 to 20 mph. The Blaze is so simple to fly, tracked dead straight on maiden and very nice and docile on landing if you want it to be. I had spoilers set up just in case but landed a few times cross wind across the slope at my feet with not much effort. The best 120 quid I've spent for a while. A 1800 3s Flightpower battery pushed right back had it balanced on the buttons. I can't wait to sneak out on Wednesday after work for a couple of hours fun.

S
Sipper is offline Find More Posts by Sipper
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:20 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,916 Posts
Alternative spinner assembly.

Scoop! You heard it here on RCGroups first!

The Multiplex Blizzard spinner assembly (with 4mm collet) fits the Blaze perfectly and compliments the 'Blue' colour scheme nicely. Not only that, but the hollow nose gives better cooling to the motor, especially if larger props are to be tried. A win-win situation I think!
If you're over in mainland Europe, your Hype 'WOW' version unfortunately has the red/orange/yellow scheme, but I guess you could spray paint the spinner to match.
Anyway, I carried out a small (but not really neccessary) modification to the aluminium hexagon driver in the back of the spinner to enable the assembly to sit closer to the front face of the fuselage. This was done purely for aesthetics and has no advantage over leaving it standard. I machined 1.5mm off the front face of the hex. driver and this allowed the spinner to sit about 1mm away from the fuselage face. I also took the opertunity to fit some 11" x 6.5" Aeronaut carbon blades instead of the 10" x 6" supplied, and I fitted a spare Pentium 40 ESC that I had spare as I've heard that the controllers supplied by ST Model aren't that reliable if higher currents are used with them. However, I have been informed that the motor is underated in this kit (as in most ARTF kits I think) and can quite easily stand a few more Amps. How many more I'm not sure about, and I anyway don't intend to test it to destruction either! I'll take some measurments of standard vs. increased prop size later. Also,I will let you know how this set up performs as and when the Blaze has been maidened.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,916 Posts
OK, some static test results as promised:

Standard kit set up; With an Overlander Sport 25C 2200 3s battery I recorded a stable reading of 24.2 Amps after about 15 seconds. This equates to approximately 254 Watts.

Modified set up: Aeronaut 11" x 6.5" carbon prop, Pentium 40A ESC, same battery as above giving a reading of 38.4 Amps (again a stable reading after about 15 seconds), for an approximate 403 Watts. After running for about 35 seconds at this increased power level, the motor was hardly luke warm so with the extra cooling during flight I guess it could stand a few more Amps.
BTW, Does anyone know what the KV rating of this motor is? It would also be nice to know what it's peak efficiency level is too.

This new setup is a significant difference to the stock kit so I'm hoping for a much more exciting flight envelope than shown on the promotional video. I am a bit surprised at just how low the stock level is and it's surprising that this is enough to be able to fly the plane vertical from launch as shown in the video.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Some good data there, just the sort of thing we like to see.

Please let us know how you get on. I was thinking of simply swapping the ESC and running the original motor and prop assembly on 4S, not sure what sort of current draw this would give or if the motor could even take it ??
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,916 Posts
Without the motor's specifications we'll never know, so it's a case of 'suck it and see' 'till one of us melts one!
Maybe ST Model don't publish the figures to avoid people using bigger props and voltages which may result in over stressing the airframe. Purely legal reasons perhaps?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I flew mine this evening, the first calm day I have been able to fly it..It could definitely handle more power...

I sent most of the flight flat out..The rate of climb isn't much greater than my Radian

I still find the roll rate fairly slow even with + - 35 degrees on the ailerons..Its ok for 109... but it doesn't match the over blown sales pitch IMO..

However it's well behaved and the stall seems quite mild for this type of plane.
So a bit more power, say another 100W may be just what it needs.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:09 PM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
I flew mine this evening, the first calm day I have been able to fly it..It could definitely handle more power...

I sent most of the flight flat out..The rate of climb isn't much greater than my Radian

I still find the roll rate fairly slow even with + - 35 degrees on the ailerons..Its ok for 109... but it doesn't match the over blown sales pitch IMO..

However it's well behaved and the stall seems quite mild for this type of plane.
So a bit more power, say another 100W may be just what it needs.
Try it with a smaller battery, say 1300 or 1600. I found this makes a massive difference. I have not found it lacking in power and my flight times are more than adequate. Today was a good day for thermals and it only needs a short squirt of power (about 15 sec) to get very high. It was staying up for ages and covers they sky very well, much more so than a Radian which I also have. The Radian has a great rate of climb so that's not a very fair comparison.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:13 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,616 Posts
With my 2200 2 cell Lipo I am only using 1000 mah for a 11 min flight of mixed climb and glide. More power would be nice but it seems a waste of the components that come with it.

Dennis
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:24 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelUK View Post
Try it with a smaller battery, say 1300 or 1600. I found this makes a massive difference. I have not found it lacking in power and my flight times are more than adequate. Today was a good day for thermals and it only needs a short squirt of power (about 15 sec) to get very high. It was staying up for ages and covers they sky very well, much more so than a Radian which I also have. The Radian has a great rate of climb so that's not a very fair comparison.
I am only using a 1800mA at the moment anyway, but I will try a 1300 next time I fly it.

My Radian can get quite high pretty quickly... Although flying in a small public park limits you somewhat..