SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
Annnnnd finally, here's the video of today's discovery.

Remember my mentioning my 'Sensei' mentioning he thought he detected some tail flutter during the short maiden test flight? Saw something kinda shocking when I ran up the revs to get some watt & rpm readings on the new Aero-Naut carbon blades & turbo spinner. I paused & went to get the video camera & here's what I was seeing:
[VIEW IT ON U-TOOB IN LARGE FORMAT - THE PROBLEM SHOWS UP BETTER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBUP...ature=youtu.be

Keep in mind this isn't in-flight - just what's happening from the prop blast - and this on a little lightweight 1300mAh 20C LiPo!

Thoughts?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jul 23, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Annnnnd finally, here's the video of today's discovery.

Remember my mentioning my 'Sensei' mentioning he thought he detected some tail flutter during the short maiden test flight? Saw something kinda shocking when I ran up the revs to get some watt & rpm readings on the new Aero-Naut carbon blades & turbo spinner. I paused & went to get the video camera & here's what I was seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBUP...ature=youtu.be

Keep in mind this isn't in-flight - just what's happening from the prop blast - and this on a little lightweight 1300mAh 20C LiPo!

Thoughts?
Nothing to worry about. It won't be that bad in flight and, don't forget, the most fun you can have with the Blaze is with the motor off.

Maidened my 2nd Blaze yesterday. It was almost a disaster, as I only noticed the controls were crossed on the final check before launch. Anyway, it flew nice, with no issues.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:39 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Nothing to worry about. It won't be that bad in flight and, don't forget, the most fun you can have with the Blaze is with the motor off.
Sure! A fast dive, and a low loop at the end. Is always fun. I have fiber glass tape under the stab. No problems with flutter.
ArneHu is online now Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,774 Posts
Have you ever watched the tails of 100-150 CC 3D machines while they are idling? they shake so much more than that, and they do just fine, remember you are holding the nose there so it is nothing like when it is flying. Any small cam on the back of any foamy will make you wonder how it keeps control lol. The biggest issue is at high speeds with this it is going to be slow, foam deflects a lot, and the servos are enough for the job, if you keep ahead of the game.
Anyways too tired to fly her today, long work day, might fly Friday at the park though early in the AM.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Agreed - don't worry about a the tail shaking. Here's a video I found on the 'tube with a cam mounted facing the tail..

Kyosho Hype Wow (9 min 36 sec)
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Last edited by Javatango; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatango View Post
Agreed - don't worry about a the tail shaking. Here's a video I found on the 'tube with a cam mounted facing the tail..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It25Yj1nWLY
It is always nice to see your own video posted by someone else.
For the tail, nothing to worry indeed.
Man I love this plane
HBFP NL is offline Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatango View Post
Wow! That thing's really doin' the St. Vitus back there ain't it?
Good showing....so that's off the list of concerns, & we're back to square one. I watched closely for ruddervator movements thruout, & while a couple slight 'peek ups' were caught, nothing like big deflections one might expect. And he sure had no problems painting his all across the sky....so gets me to wondering even more why mine has such total loss of control when sped up. It obviously doesn't take much to deflect airflow & get reactive turns & maneuvers....so what's mine - and many others obviously - missing??

I'm even entertaining thoughts of mod'g, extending the ails & tail surfaces....but again, nothing doing until I've taken my own videos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:14 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
Have you ever watched the tails of 100-150 CC 3D machines while they are idling? they shake so much more than that, and they do just fine, ...
Yeah....and I've also seen the size & range of motion of those 3D machines' controls too, plus they don't move at anywhere near the speed of our 'liner. Not much of an apples/apples there, dude.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
ST's adhesive???

OK - kind've important question here....touched on before with no response so here goes in a different tack.

I've got the "New Stuff" film, and to do the 'purest' recovering job with it will require removing the Ail & Tail control horns. My concern is best way of removing them cleanly....& that white goo adhesive the factory used thruout the plane. Anybody know what that stuff is; worked much with it; best way of removal w/o damaging the foam; is hot water 'the tool', etc etc?

It reminds me of RTV Silicon sealer, but that's just a guess. Hoping someone has either stumbled upon what it actually is, or knows by experience.

Note: This will be good info to know should YOU ever need to get inside that wing to replace a bad servo.
(Yeah....and what are the odds of that happenin'? Think about it!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
464 Posts
I know I replaced my tail servos, and I was sure happy I did. May consider the wing servos as well at some point. Right now, kinda done wasting time with it....it is what it is. Maybe in the winter I'll put some more effort into it. But, right now, I wanna fly what I got when I can.

(unless of course, somebody comes up with a good fix for that left trim issue)((please))

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
(unless of course, somebody comes up with a good fix for that left trim issue)((please))

Rishelman
Hey, here's something. Might mean something, might not, but in case it plays into the formula....
You guys in the (whatta we calling it again - The Port Divers Club? * \_(?)_/
Are you using dual ailerons with a Y-yoke or singles (separate)?
Right now I'm on a yoke; used that as a quickie setup to get the maiden shakeout done....but planning to go singles later.

>>> *OK went back & looked - the 'BLFTC'.
Sounds like a fancy sandwich with a side order *hehheh*
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jul 25, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:23 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
I'm using a separate channel for each aileron.

By the way, I haven't experienced your loss of control under full throttle, but the Dynamic-S has a lower kV motor with a larger prop and so is probably slower than the Blaze under full throttle.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:01 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
I'm using a separate channel for each aileron.

By the way, I haven't experienced your loss of control under full throttle, but the Dynamic-S has a lower kV motor with a larger prop and so is probably slower than the Blaze under full throttle.
Might be, I have had that loss, but I have it with every foam glider I have at higher speeds, and it is not so much a "loss" of all control, but it is incredibly slow to respond. You have to think this way ahead when you fly it otherwise it will be a lawn dart. Even in power dives it is slow to respond, granted I also give full throttle to start the dive, shut it off when gravity is the only force accelerating it.
I too will be working on mine more, thinking of using some real light weight low heat covering to stiffen the back, and might make some balsa control surfaces. Time will tell but shaping and rounding the control surfaces as well as making them more rigid should help.
Oh and I am flying dual ails, working on tuning in my differential as well as flap/spoilerions
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
Dang it - forgot to include another question. These planes have what I call 'short' control horns - only 2 holes - & stock setup is in the outermost 'softer' hole.

There's been several mentions of having difficulty reaching the prescribed amount of 'throw' on both rudder/elevators and ailerons....tho some have said theirs hit it & even beyond.

I meant to also ask, you guys who aren't getting the control loss, ie your plane responds well at all speeds -- what hole have you got your pushrods in, & you guys that do 'lose it', same question. (To get a feel whether that might be a difference)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:53 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,081 Posts
BTW - no 'training day' flights yesterday. About 4-ish the sky turnt right ominous.....looking like that scene outta 'Ghostbusters'. Neighbor called me from work wanting to know was her house still there....they had trees & light poles going down & stuff. Sensei called me leaving work to tell me "No WAY" and while talking, wind hit him & almost blew his Caravan off the road.

No film at 11....yet.

OH - WAIT! I can at least show how our re-seeding project is coming along!
Y'know, we water & water & water - actually almost drained a sizeable irrigation pond beside the field parking lot.....but it's almost unbelievable what a little Mother Nature can do with real rain. It's MAGIC!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:14 AM.