HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:31 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
A Word Of Caution

I was setting up my new Blaze yesterday and getting ready to make a watt check.
Spun it up and the prop to cowl gap widened by 3/4".
The collet was tight but still slipping on the shaft.
It was also bent pretty badly.
Stuck a HK 4mm collet on and all is well now. The gap is too wide but liveable.
And the stock watt test results?
12.2v
320w
28a
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:57 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBFP NL View Post
Here my data with the 10x7 prop (camCarb), as you will see the current goes way over the 30Amps.

Sorry I should now this by now....but what telemetry/software are you using to collect and display this data...(Eagletree, Turnigy SuperBrain, etc..)

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Sorry I should now this by now....but what telemetry/software are you using to collect and display this data...(Eagletree, Turnigy SuperBrain, etc..)

Thanks,
-mike-
Hi Mike,
I use a Superbrain 40 in my Hype Wow aka Blaze.
HBFP NL is online now Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:23 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT1978 View Post
Hi people , mat here.

This is my first post on this thread , would like to say some really usefull info on the blaze . Had mine for about a month now and love it , im using 1.3 amp 3cells , and 2 1.1 amp 3cells with weights. LOve how this thing flys . was thinking of liquid sheeting her to give it a bit more speed in the dive and swoops lol. Im using a 10 gram weight in the nose at the more for the more windy conditions and it really makes a difference, im also thing of having the motor on a switch , and using throttle for spoil flaperons just dont know how i will keep the stick in the center any ideas?
What radio have you got?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:15 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT1978 View Post
Hi people , mat here.

This is my first post on this thread , would like to say some really usefull info on the blaze . Had mine for about a month now and love it , im using 1.3 amp 3cells , and 2 1.1 amp 3cells with weights. LOve how this thing flys . was thinking of liquid sheeting her to give it a bit more speed in the dive and swoops lol. Im using a 10 gram weight in the nose at the more for the more windy conditions and it really makes a difference, im also thing of having the motor on a switch , and using throttle for spoil flaperons just dont know how i will keep the stick in the center any ideas?
Where are you placing the 1.3 amp 3 cells? As long forward as it goes?
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2004
839 Posts
I've been looking around for my next plane and I'm VERY tempted by this one...

It's only like 75 here in the UK. Considering I only need a RX as I've got lots of stock of 2200 3s batteries...
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
I'll think you'll find thats (75) for the glider version. The electric powered version is about 100.
locktumbler is offline Find More Posts by locktumbler
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:38 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Hello, just order'd my Blaze from TowerHobbies.

I want to replace servos to Metal-Gear ones,
I have these right now....are they strong enough?

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ini-servo.html

I've used them before on my SkyWalker-FPV plane.

I've also order Graupner CAM 10x6 and 10x8 fold props'.

Anyone have experience with using this Bird for FPV (first person view)?

I heard that it does not like the extra weight?

p.s.
let me know if I should get other parts as a necessity.
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:17 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post

p.s.
Not a good choice for FPV. You'll going to end up with a very twitchy plane due to the high wing loading. You really need something with a wider flight envelope. But then maybe you are looking for something different to me.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Nov 01, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Gerry,
thanks for the input....

"Twitchy" ?

I've flown a lot of twitch models for FPV, ie.... FunJet, PZ Stryker, PZ warbirds....
and the most enjoyable ones' were gliders I FPV'd (Cularis 2.6m, Radian, EZ glider PRO,
SkyWalker)

I'm trying to find a reasonable setup a "inbetween" plane....reasonably fast, and can glide with power "off"....

I just dont know if this plane can take an extra 10oz of weight for my FPV camera gear.?
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:55 PM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
An new ESC P

Quote:

p.s.
HBFP NL is online now Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Hello,

Fpv with the Blaze is certainly, 'exciting'.. I tried it out before,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post17962077

There's not a huge amount of space in the cockpit, which is why my battery was placed outside on the wing. It helps to keep the Cg which you want ever so slightly forward, a cm at most from the recommended spot; keeps the handling nice and easy.

I can't remember what the exact weight of my blaze after fpv modification was but it wasn't too much as I literally only had a small camera and battery to manage. I'd imagine with that equipment, including servo pan, the battery and cam, would make performance too jumpy for a comfortable fpv flight.

The flight on the day when I did it was alright more as just a one-off bit of fun, to make it a full platform I think you need to do some modifications, one of which would be to replace the prop with a slightly bigger 10x7, which gives it more umph for the weight. Really I'd say a more efficient motor is in order as well as a good 40a esc as the stock one is not particularly trusting. With the stock equipment it gets a bit too warm, and for an fpv platform, carrying all that expensive gear, you would really need something more reliable.

In terms of the plane itself, it needs to be a lot more solid. I'd recommend taping up all the control surfaces, standard clear Sellotape cleanly along each surface. You could embed some thin carbon strip; as they are much easier to install and do not flex nearly as much as carbon rods. You could go as far as increasing the length of the spar with a new carbon rod, but I reckon just making sure you have a couple strips of tape along each half, should keep it together.

As an fpv platform, I don't think the blaze is very suitable, it flies brilliantly as a warmliner, because of its sleek shape and light weight. With the increased weight of the extra equipment flight time will decrease and the control and performance will not be nearly as reliable. It would require a fair amount of work and setup to get it up and running, and even so I wouldn't consider it a suitable platform.

As extra proof, last week I decided to fly it fpv again and crashed into the side of a house, tore the entire front portion where the motor sits clean off, motor shaft bent, spinner broke, camera and battery were alright but scattered everywhere. The crash was probably more my own fault; the Blaze doesen't handle huge head-on crashes too brilliantly.

My personal 'getup-and-go' solid fpv platform is an easystar and it is yet to let me down. Its got a huge amount of space for equipment, can take the weight. Its a good tough airframe and the performance is perfect for fpv. Nice and smooth and with a suitable inrunner, it has the umph and power to get you out of trouble or climb to higher altitudes. Prop's on the back of the wing, so it won't get in the way of the camera. When I was flying stock on a little brushed motor and I think a 5x5 prop, on 3s, which people say is too much for the motor but I was planning on upgrading it anyway so if it burned out, no problem really; I got 30-40 minute flight time. With a suitable inrunner and a 2200 3s you'd get great distance as well as flight time.

The multiplex easystar kit is a bit much for what it is, under 100us, I'd recommend getting a cheap 'version', which is all the same stuff, but without the multiplex components which you'll be replacing with brushless equipment so why pay for it? You can get what's called the 'Bixler' in kit form, as the ARF motor probably won't be good enough for good fpv flights, for 30 bucks which is a steal.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16545

From there you can follow any of the threads on it, there's millions.

You could try fpv on the blaze but you've invested a lot more into your equipment than I did, all I had was a cheap cam and an old battery and some tape. It wouldn't be worth the trouble and effort to get fpv working on it; and you could potentially lose your valuable fpv equipment and waste the time and work spent on the airframe.

I hope that has helped, if you do decide to have a go fpv'ing the blaze feel free to contact me and I'll offer whatever information I can.

Good luck,
Ed
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Gerry,
thanks for the input....

"Twitchy" ?

I've flown a lot of twitch models for FPV, ie.... FunJet, PZ Stryker, PZ warbirds....
and the most enjoyable ones' were gliders I FPV'd (Cularis 2.6m, Radian, EZ glider PRO,
SkyWalker)

I'm trying to find a reasonable setup a "inbetween" plane....reasonably fast, and can glide with power "off"....

I just dont know if this plane can take an extra 10oz of weight for my FPV camera gear.?
Yeah, 'twitchy' as in nervous and jittery, due to the increased wing loading.

I think if you want to go 'fast' you will also need to go big. A large flying wing is probably your best bet.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Does anyone know a direct fit "Scorpion" motor into the BLAZE? same/equivalent performance.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/ind...67cb1f20f24a47
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
I received today the french version of Blaze - Wow - what's its name, called "Infinity", and I found the wing tips (both right and left) foiled and torn. Think I'll fix it, with steam and glue, but looks it comes from the factory, since the box is in perfect shape.
Did this occur to one of you?
Other question : is it possible to cover the wings, with oracover for instance?
Thanks for answers.
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue