HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:47 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstein9 View Post
I had a blizzard and put a really hot motor in it....it was fast! but the darn thing would tip stall at the drop of a hat. really bad. i mean you would be going right along and make a little turn and all of a sudden that bad boy would spiral out of the sky in the dive of death.

i slope the blaze on bluffs overlooking the ocean....and it is amazing how it will do 360 turns right in a little crevice of the bluff....if i tried that maneuver with the blizzard, herb would be hiking a lot.

i have flown it in 30 mph wind and sloped it in 7mph slope lift.

i am reluctant to do the prop swap.....cause

1. i love the battery life.....15....20 60 minutes depending on the lift

2. going up fast is kewl but coming down fast is better!

i did reinforce with carbon fibre the rudder and elevator surfaces and taped the aielerions as well.

overall i am thrilled with this ship....and everyone that sees it fly, goes out and gets one....i mean 129.....very few sheckels for what you get.
I don't think that swapping the stock 10x6 with an Aeronaut 10x7 is really going to diminish batter life all that much....but should increase your thrust, for better climb performance.

Make sure the ESC brake is on, reinforce the flight surfaces as you've done, install a 10x7 prop and you will be going up fast......and coming down fast as well.

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I don't think that swapping the stock 10x6 with an Aeronaut 10x7 is really going to diminish batter life all that much....but should increase your thrust, for better climb performance.

Make sure the ESC brake is on, reinforce the flight surfaces as you've done, install a 10x7 prop and you will be going up fast......and coming down fast as well.

-mike-
I think the main fear is the esc popping, which is not much of a loss its not quite the maker of the deal, but it could in turn damage the battery... and of course.. the inevitable crash.. possibly oversea.. maybe there's a millionaire yacht?

I can think of more situations.

If you're gonna go for a 11x7 i'd upgrade the esc to a known amp rate. The stock one has done well for me so far, (which i'm still using), but i wouldn't trust it much further than the current 10x6. I've swapped out for a graupner cam version, which gives slightly better performance, and no extra work on the esc.

Ed
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:56 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
322 Posts
I had the esc fail within the first 5 minutes of maidening my Blaze.. Luckily, it landed in some thick weeds and there was no damage... I had a 40A e-flite esc i stuck in it, and it scoots around nicely now..

-Paul
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwong View Post
I think the main fear is the esc popping, which is not much of a loss its not quite the maker of the deal, but it could in turn damage the battery... and of course.. the inevitable crash.. possibly oversea.. maybe there's a millionaire yacht?

I can think of more situations.

If you're gonna go for a 11x7 i'd upgrade the esc to a known amp rate. The stock one has done well for me so far, (which i'm still using), but i wouldn't trust it much further than the current 10x6. I've swapped out for a graupner cam version, which gives slightly better performance, and no extra work on the esc.

Ed
Ed, I agree..if your going to move up to a 11x7 make sure you monitor amp usage and yes swapping in a 40A ESC would be a good next step.

-mike-
Last edited by boiko; Mar 08, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
I assembled my Blaze this afternoon, as was amazed at the quality of the model, it's first class I think, I can't decide if it's worth taping the control surfaces, I notice that some of you guys do tape? But yes I'm so pleased with it.

Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,002 Posts
In my opinion taping the flying and control surfaces is completely unnecessary on the Blaze and just adds excess weight and drag. Just my 2d worth.....
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
My Blaze is ready to go, except I am not sure about the correct travel of the ailerons/v-tail.

My manual (it's the Hype-WOW version) suggests 15degrees for the v-tail and 10degrees for the ailerons.

Can somenone suggest travel in mm since it's easier to measure.

Also do you use differential (more up than down) for the ailerons. My Multiplex planes (easyglider and merlin) use that kind of differential.

Thanks
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
In my opinion taping the flying and control surfaces is completely unnecessary on the Blaze and just adds excess weight and drag. Just my 2d worth.....
I don't think I will either, the foam hindges look quite good.
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hacienda Heights, Ca., USA
Joined Sep 2009
254 Posts
Maidened my Blaze, all went well. Easy and enjoyable to fly. Didn't tape tail surfaces, it seem to have good authority in a dive. Very happy with this glider. Nick.
Nick9000 is offline Find More Posts by Nick9000
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaros View Post
My Blaze is ready to go, except I am not sure about the correct travel of the ailerons/v-tail.

My manual (it's the Hype-WOW version) suggests 15degrees for the v-tail and 10degrees for the ailerons.

Can somenone suggest travel in mm since it's easier to measure.

Also do you use differential (more up than down) for the ailerons. My Multiplex planes (easyglider and merlin) use that kind of differential.

Thanks
Personally I would recommend aileron differential and my settings are as follows:
Ailerons 24mm up & 18mm down, elevators 8mm up & 10mm down, rudders
8mm up & down.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Personally I would recommend aileron differential and my settings are as follows:
Ailerons 24mm up & 18mm down, elevators 8mm up & 10mm down, rudders
8mm up & down.
Yeah you need a lot more aileron travel than the manual suggests to get a good roll rate, mines on 27mm up and 22mm down on high rates and it fares very well for aerobatics, and low rates just toned down on expo for thermal catching and gliding.
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5 Posts
Does anyone know of a GRP mouldie that is similar to the blaze.

I've just nose dived mine into the ground at high speed. There was very little if any effect of the control surfaces so I'm looking for something similar but with stronger / stiffer aileron / elevators.

The ESC, Motor, Prop ( Aeronaut 10x7) survived so I would like something of similar size to transfer over to.
naim32 is offline Find More Posts by naim32
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naim32 View Post
Does anyone know of a GRP mouldie that is similar to the blaze.

I've just nose dived mine into the ground at high speed. There was very little if any effect of the control surfaces so I'm looking for something similar but with stronger / stiffer aileron / elevators.

The ESC, Motor, Prop ( Aeronaut 10x7) survived so I would like something of similar size to transfer over to.
What mods do you do to your Blaze, other then the Aeronaut 10x7 upgrade?

Any strengthening of the flight control surfaces?

-mike-
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
After doing some mods I still can not get my Blaze to fly well at high speed. It looses the tail and also starts to turn to the left in a speed dive. I have about given up and plan to transfer the power system into a Blizzard for starters and see how it goes.

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruge View Post
After doing some mods I still can not get my Blaze to fly well at high speed. It looses the tail and also starts to turn to the left in a speed dive. I have about given up and plan to transfer the power system into a Blizzard for starters and see how it goes.

John Fruge
Madera, CA

Have you seen a Blizzard in action ?
I was thinking along the same lines but had doubts about another foamie.

I'm thinking towards transfering the power system to something like

http://www.t9hobbysport.com/item.asp...154&prodid=451

or

http://www.puffinmodels.com/product.php?prod=680
naim32 is offline Find More Posts by naim32