HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,891 Posts
Ok, for 129 bucks this is a really nice flying foam Hotliner. Looks like there will be a lot of these birds flying at the cliffs of Elwood soon.

Here are a few photos. Enjoy!

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Sorry, I don't now anything about Spektrum gear, I use Multiplex radio.

Spoilerons are 'up' moving ailerons and will slow the plane down for landing, but actually work better if there is some wind. You will also need some down elevator compensation to prevent ballooning when they are deployed.
Flaperons go the other way (down) and do work too, but using spoilerons has the effect of giving washout to the wing which delays the onset of a tip stall.
i just tried the flaperons (flaps are new to me) mixed with down elevator and it dove straight for the ground. does that mean i need to mix in some up elevator instead? i had so much fun with the blaze today, the low voltage protection kicked in :-)
bkr11 is offline Find More Posts by bkr11
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:59 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,875 Posts
If the plane dives when deploying flaperons then up elevator needs to be dialled in to compensate for this. It pays to try the mix out gradually with plenty of spare altitude just in case things go pear shaped!
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:25 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,891 Posts
A few more...

Enjoy fellow slope soaring fans!

-Buzzed
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:51 PM
Kingdom of The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
154 Posts
Buzzed that a great pictures and a great spot to fly!
HBFP NL is offline Find More Posts by HBFP NL
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
I just received my Blaze from Tower Hobby. One comment and a few questions. I was a little surprised to find the prop already installed. I am no expert but after experiencing the bite of a prop resulting in multiply sutures I will never assemble a plane with the prop in place. Put the prop on last!!! Now for a few questions. I have never flown or setup a V tail. If I move the rudder control stick to the left what should the the left and right rudder do? Go up or go down.I assume aileron differential is helpful and spoilerons are helpful in landing. To make myself clear: When activating spoilerons both ailerons go up. This allows for slower landings. As I recall the nose of the plane tends go up and a mix with down elevator is desired. Is this correct? I am aware the manual has nothing about differential and spoilerons but I would like to learn this aspect as I have molded hotliner that I have never flown. A few years back I was able to purchase a used hotliner at a good price. I hope the Blaze is a good plane to learn with and gives me the confidence to setup and fly the molded hotliner in the future.
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
33 Posts
if you move the ruder stick to the left- both tail surfaces move or point left same goes for right rudder- moves or points right. dont know about spoilerons.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
tekajo, spoilerons cut lift and cause the nose to pitch down. flaperons increase lift and cause the nose to pitch up. Both increase drag. I use a small bit of down elevator for the spoilerons on my Merlin, but I've read the elevator mix different depending on the plane. Just test spoileron/elevator mixes up high to see what happens to the plane before you use them for landing.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
tekajo, spoilerons cut lift and cause the nose to pitch down. flaperons increase lift and cause the nose to pitch up. Both increase drag. I use a small bit of down elevator for the spoilerons on my Merlin, but I've read the elevator mix different depending on the plane. Just test spoileron/elevator mixes up high to see what happens to the plane before you use them for landing.
Give it a test before mixing elevator in.

I have a 65" Fully molded Hotliner that I have spoilerons setup on. With 45 degrees of spoileron I don't need any elevator at all.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:49 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBFP NL View Post
Buzzed that a great pictures and a great spot to fly!
Thank you!

There is a little known soaring spot near Santa Barbara in the small town of Goleta. It is located a few minutes walk from a eucalyptus grove. This time of hear it is full of Monarch butterflies. Truly an amazing place!

-Buzzed
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:42 AM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Best prop?

So which is the overall best prop for this bird?

A branded 10x6?
10x7?
11x6?

Did not have one Blaze yet but I will soon get one and also get the Blizzard spinner and recommended prop.
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:49 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaros View Post
So which is the overall best prop for this bird?

A branded 10x6?
10x7?
11x6?

Did not have one Blaze yet but I will soon get one and also get the Blizzard spinner and recommended prop.
The supplied 10" x 6" prop works well, but to get the most out of the motor a 10" x 7" works even better. It would be advisable to change the supplied ESC to a 40A unit if using the larger size prop as it'll be then pulling about 35A.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
33 Posts
i use a rhino 3cell 1550 25c with the stock prop and esc. i get unlimited vertical, specks out fairly quick too.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:44 PM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
The supplied 10" x 6" prop works well, but to get the most out of the motor a 10" x 7" works even better. It would be advisable to change the supplied ESC to a 40A unit if using the larger size prop as it'll be then pulling about 35A.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I plan to replace the stock ESC with a 40A Turnigy ESC.

I do have a Aeronaut 10x6 and a CAM 11x7 that I plan to try. I will also get the blizzard spinner.

By the way, where did you get your blaze from Ben D Wing?
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros