HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
Staffordshire, UK
Joined Aug 2005
27 Posts
Maiden

Well, I maidened the Blaze yesterday.

It went straight off with very little trim adjustment, climb rate was good, roll rate a little slower than expected but reasonable enough. Inverted was good and a v nice whistle as it passes!!

I did have a few problems, I dont know if it was me as it only occured once at the begining of the flight. When I did a fast pass the ailerons were very soft and were not responsive until I slowed down, after that were fine and I didnt notice it again, bit unnerving though!

I then went to do some landing approaches, having the ailerons on a Y lead ment I didnt have air brakes, the first approach was way to fast! The second attempt was fine, even slower with slight throttle till last minute. I dont think there is any need for flaps although would be nice I guess! The plane wanted to climb with power on, I will be adding some down trim when powered up.
The model didnt retain its speed as good as I thought it would but was ok.

Overall, for 100 it is a bargain but I wouldnt call it a hot liner, warm liner it is. I may also look at putting better servos in it.

Ive since changed from rates all round to using expo +30 on all surfaces, not flown it yet though! I have cheated and also have a small aileron/rudder mix!
matada34 is offline Find More Posts by matada34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:21 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
i used laminating film (4 mil i think) on both sides of the control surface, which stiffened it up significantly. laminating film does not stretch as much as packing tape.

i find that you can move the hole position closer to the center for the elevator servo horns. doing so increases the leverage on the control surface but still provides enough throw.
Thanks noobie, I'll check out the laminating tape. I can't believe I didn't think to move the ez connector in one hole. I'll probably maiden it today, can't wait.
ginsu1797 is offline Find More Posts by ginsu1797
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:20 PM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
I ordered 2 of these today (one for a friend).

Looks like they should be fun.

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
I'm interested in the blaze but I think, judging from the information on this thread, it could do with a bigger prop, 10x7 as Ben recommends, or at least a better 10x6.

However I don't know any of the specs of the included spinner, I guess its the same as the Multiplex Blizzards?

It would be interesting to see the effect of a better quality make of the same size blades, and I cannot be bothered with a new esc; and the original is part of the bargain. I can get a pair of Graupner CAM blades, which no doubt are better, from the same site.

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...ode=1336.25.15

I reckon there will be quite a difference between them and if not i'm sure I can get the 10x7 Aeronaut blades from puffinmodels some time in the future.

I've got a couple "ZOP power" 1500 lipos, 2100 and 2200 "atomic power" lipos, all 25c ; its just how trustworthy they are which is the issue! but I've been using the atomic power brand for a while and they seem to work pretty well.
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:44 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwong View Post
I'm interested in the blaze but I think, judging from the information on this thread, it could do with a bigger prop, 10x7 as Ben recommends, or at least a better 10x6.

However I don't know any of the specs of the included spinner, I guess its the same as the Multiplex Blizzards?

The 10'' x 7'' prop gives the Blaze true vertical performance and is a very worthwhile modification IMHO. However, a larger (40A) ESC will ensure that the motor gets the necessary juice from the battery as the supplied ESC is not really up to the job and limits the Blaze's true potential.
Also, the supplied spinner is exactly the same diameter as the Blizzard's and the prop blades are interchangeable between the two.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
The 10'' x 7'' prop gives the Blaze true vertical performance and is a very worthwhile modification IMHO. However, a larger (40A) ESC will ensure that the motor gets the necessary juice from the battery as the supplied ESC is not really up to the job and limits the Blaze's true potential.
Also, the supplied spinner is exactly the same diameter as the Blizzard's and the prop blades are interchangeable between the two.
Thanks very much, I was worried the stock spinner might not fit the Graupner CAM blades.
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:22 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
My Blaze arrived from TowerHobbies today. I got a $100 Tower gift card for Christmas (at Thanksgiving) and managed to stack enough discount coupons to get it shipped for $109.

I haven't really read much through this thread, but the thing kinda surprised me out of the box. Lots of carbon worked into the structure. It's kinda cool how the wing goes together with the plastic joiner too.

I'm going to forgo the decals and give it paint job then tape up the wings and tailfeathers a la foamie sloper. It'll probably see more slope time than anything else anyway.

Looks cool so far.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:26 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
That's handy to know about the blizzard blades. By chance do you know if I could get just the prop/spinner/hub for the blizzard? I causally looked, but I only saw the whole power system.

I finally flew the blaze this past weekend. I'm using rhino 2150 lipos pushed all the back to the square tube. Its a Tad nose heavy but flew well. My impressions mirror that of matada above. In addition I was able to catch a few thermals with it. I'm still playing with flap and spoiler settings. Lots of fun for the$
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsu1797 View Post
That's handy to know about the blizzard blades. By chance do you know if I could get just the prop/spinner/hub for the blizzard?
The spinners are available as an individual item, but be aware that there are two collet sizes. I think from memory it's the 5mm one that fits the Blaze's motor shaft.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:57 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Do you by chance have a link? I didn't see them at Tower. Thanks
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:37 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
I would like to know if anyone thinks these are correct if I want to go 10" x 7" and if they will fit on the stock spinner / hub?

AN-7234-31 Aeronaut CAM Carbon-Plastic 10.0x7.0 Blades (S8,R3) US$11.60

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3383

Thanks,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:33 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsu1797 View Post
Do you by chance have a link? I didn't see them at Tower. Thanks

Many shops in the UK sell them and this is one of the cheapest..... http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...ProductID=6738 But as I said earlier, check the motor shaft size as two different sized collets are available and I can't remember which one is needed.

jfruge, The Aeronaut blades will fit the stock spinner, but may need lightly finessing to fit snuggly.

If anyone is fitting 10" x 7" blades to their Blaze, be aware that you may need to upgrade the ESC to a 40A unit (as previously mentioned).

My Blaze, now with a 40A Hobbywing ESC and 10" x 7" Aeronaut Cam Carbon blades draws 34.2A on a 2200mAh 3s LiPo for a power of about 360Watts (or a PWR of 180W/Lb). This enables the Blaze to go vertical straight from launch.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:01 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Thanks Ben! I found some a little closer to me. And thanks for pointing out the collet size. It would have been yet another question.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:40 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Just maidened my Blaze on a small local slope. Lift was very light (did some occasional motor-assisted sloping), but all went well. Control reponse was very good, though I think I'll go ahead a maximize the throws on high rates. Makes a cool noise on low overhead passes. Did a few warmliner-ish passes downwind just to hear it whoosh, but nothing too stressing.

I did have a wee CG issue. With a 3S/2250 pack pushed all the way back I was still about 10mm ahead of the factory location. Switched over to a 3S/1350 pack pushed well back under the wing saddle and added 1/4oz of lead to the tail to get the CG to the marks. I think it could stand to come back even more.

I like it. It's a keeper.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:04 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
I thought I'd post my recent experience with the Blaze:

A friend of mine just bought one of these and we test flew it Saturday. In fact, we literally built this thing straight out of the box on the tail gate of his truck in about 30 min.

I was rather impressed with how easy it went together and the final fit and finish. It really has some nice features including the carbon wing joiner system and all things are pre-wired. It probably took longer to put the stickers on straight than anything else.

A couple notes: The motor and folding prop were preinstalled so we went to go do a test run. It was smooth up to about 1/2 throttle but then buzzed a little above to full. When we went to fly it there was still a slight buzz while climbing and it got worse as we did a few climbs. I landed and unscrewed the spinner to inspect. Good thing I did because the plastic yoke had a large crack on one side. I ended up taking the folding prop assembly off and putting a GWS fixed prop on for subsequent flights. He contacted Tower for a replacement and they obliged no questions asked (good stuff). Maybe the screws were over tightened from the factory?? The other issue we had was that the Super Tiger 3S 1800mAh cells that were purchased with the kit were 1/4" too wide for the fuselage. We had to do some surgery to get it to fit. Most standard 3S 2100 cells were fine but for some reason these were ridiculously wide cells.

The good stuff: The Blaze flies really nice. It's faster than I had anticipated in the glide and once we fix the prop issue should climb reasonably well. For control throws on a 4 channel radio (no dual rates) you have to put the pushrods in on the servo horns. We flew with high aileron throws but the elevator was easy to dial down without pulling off servo covers. You need to watch your speed in the glide mode to avoid tip stalling. I have heard similar stories with the Blizzard. Just watch how much elevator you pull when in slow turns or on final approach.

It's not a bad deal for the price and I figure the prop issue is a fluke. I've seen the same folding prop working on another friend's different ST Models airframe for a while now but it's good to know to watch for it.

On another note, he flew this on the Tactic 4 channel 2.4ghz from Tower and it worked well. There is a V-tail mixer built in but there are no dual rates. The whole set up is pretty good bang4buck!
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member