SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:03 AM
Solihull, West Midlands
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Sounds like a good reduction! If you intend on flying at make speed vertically down and pulling up at the last second I wuld strongly recomend firring some better servos in the tail. The stock ones take a long time to respond at full whack witch makes me think they are stalling as they work fine once the speed decays a little.

What do you guys reckon about these. Too cheap to be any good?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5461

If there anything like the Esky servos in my honey bee maybe not!

3 great flights yesterday and now 3 more members are buying one!

cheers all, Toby
FlyingTobias is offline Find More Posts by FlyingTobias
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTobias View Post
Sounds like a good reduction! If you intend on flying at make speed vertically down and pulling up at the last second I wuld strongly recomend firring some better servos in the tail. The stock ones take a long time to respond at full whack witch makes me think they are stalling as they work fine once the speed decays a little.

What do you guys reckon about these. Too cheap to be any good?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5461

If there anything like the Esky servos in my honey bee maybe not!

3 great flights yesterday and now 3 more members are buying one!

cheers all, Toby
IMO those servos are OK, I have 4 of them in a 60'' composite slope soarer and so far they have proved to be trouble free.

Re. the Blaze,I'm not sure if it's the servos stalling, or is it that the foam elevators are distorting slightly at speed? Anyway, it's now a well know fact that prolonged vetical dives are a no-no on the Blaze due to this phenomenon, so personally I don't do 'em any more! Why tempt fate!

BTW, we have 3 Blaze's in our family now, me and my two sons have one each!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
IMO those servos are OK, I have 4 of them in a 60'' composite slope soarer and so far they have proved to be trouble free.

Re. the Blaze,I'm not sure if it's the servos stalling, or is it that the foam elevators are distorting slightly at speed? Anyway, it's now a well know fact that prolonged vetical dives are a no-no on the Blaze due to this phenomenon, so personally I don't do 'em any more! Why tempt fate!

BTW, we have 3 Blaze's in our family now, me and my two sons have one each!
Hi mate,
Are you after another one as I am thinking of selling mine for something a bit more sedate !!!
TBH I want more of a floater like the Parkzone Radian, trouble was that they were not available when I was wanting a glider so I got the blaze.

So mine is up for sale if you r interested? or maybe you have a PZ Radian and fancy a swap???

Cheers,
Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:16 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but 1 each is enough for now!
I don't have a Radian, but you could put a swap or wanted advert on the BMFA classifieds.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
blaze

Tower Hobbly is selling the Blaze for $129.95.
Due in late Sept.
jlehman2006 is offline Find More Posts by jlehman2006
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:33 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehman2006 View Post
Tower Hobbly is selling the Blaze for $129.95.
Due in late Sept.
read four posts up

I cannot wait for this to hit the states, I crashed my stmodels asw last year pretty hard, and over the winter it sat in a corner in my basement until a couple of days ago, its more like a 66" wingspan now since the tip of one of the wings was ripped off from a radio strike, but I kinda built it into a sport liner and It is almost perfect. I cannot wait to get one.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:08 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I havent flown my Blaze in weeks now..It's been too windy and gray when I have been able to fly ..Funny thing is my Radian copes ok even with all that dihedral..

The rest of my foamie fleet is mostly scratch built and thrives on windy days.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:26 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
What wind speeds did you have? I flew in gusting 17MPH winds off the flat on Thursday and the Blaze handled it just fine. Works well off the slope too.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:37 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
It's mostly the gray factor that beats me..I just can't see it
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Just got one of these today, will make a change from helicopters.

Can someone remind me how to set up the spoiler please, have everything else working OK, Ailerons are on Ail and Gear channels, radio is a JR DSX9.
wildc4rd is offline Find More Posts by wildc4rd
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Can someone remind me how to set up the spoiler please, have everything else working OK, Ailerons are on Ail and Gear channels, radio is a JR DSX9.
The setting I used for Spoilers is ailerons up 14mm and elevator down 1 or 2mm. I set it up as a Flaps mix on my Spektrum, so I'm not sure how that works on a DSX9.
chippypilot is offline Find More Posts by chippypilot
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
I set mine for spoilers and flaps on the flaps channel so middle is normal flight, up is spoilers and down is flaps, I set it up as flaperons, one servo into aileron and the other into aux2. If it reversed you can reverse it by reversing both aux2 and ailerons.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:07 AM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Got it set up in the end, and have had several flights now, from flat field and off the slope. My only previous flight experience is helicopter and several hours messing with a brushless deltawing (using the same 2200mAm 35c lipos). For the money I have to say its very good, its more fun off the slope than the field, with a bit of lift you hardly need the motor. With regards to landing, its fairly fast, but OK at the field without spoilers/flaps. At the slope, there is a bit more in the way of obstacles, so used 70% flaps to land (maybe 7 or 8 mm downwards deflection with elevator compensation), and again it was fine.

All in all, with a bit of previous stick time I'd say this was a very nice plane to get me used to using the rudder more on a plane. Only complaint, if it can be called a real complaint is the decals (as previously mentioned). I got bored after 10 minutes messing with them, so mine isn't quite the stock scheme, lol.

Great fun to fly though, and very good value.

Blaze (and my wing) at the slope site.
wildc4rd is offline Find More Posts by wildc4rd
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
Solihull, West Midlands
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Ok then! You can vertically dive at full whack and pull up at the last second with this bird. The foam elevators are not distorting. I have replaced both elevators serovos with some 1.8kg pull 9g jobs and it is awsome. Totaly confidence whatever the speed. Really getting the wings to flex now. Going to put them in the ailerons as well.

The standard gear is ok but not at to being really abused. Pretty good upgrade at only 20 for four servos. You will need to cut out the white plastic servo cover at the rear and the servos will pertrude about quarter inch. Makes no difference.

Will fly in 30 mph winds off slope. Tried on the Isle of skye and didn't need motor at all. Major trouble landing as no flat area anywhere.

Great fun, worth the twenty notes.
FlyingTobias is offline Find More Posts by FlyingTobias
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:34 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Thanks for the tip!