HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:58 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
Thanks UNGN, It worked like a charm!
It all makes sense now.
For reference purpose her is where I found the AR6400 manual in PDF format: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMAR6400L.pdf
Cheers
Adventurer is offline Find More Posts by Adventurer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:43 AM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
292 Posts
Another option for flaperons

I was having a hard time with the 2 /6 channel programing. those two plugs act like a Y on my plane. Either both sides went up or down together.

My solution was to convert channel 5, which is set up with four pins for X-port by default. (use the three pins closest to the servos) That allowed my DX7 radio to use the gear (5) channel for the right ailr and leave the left ailr on channel 2. I use mix1 to slave the ailerons together and mix2 to slave gear to ailr. it is all controlled via the 3 position switch. so I have three flight modes..low rate with flaperon,,low rate without flaperon,, high rate without flaperon. I don't have to use the air brakes which requires lots of rudder at low speeds.

This mod allows me to really slow the plane down in the small indoor gym that we have to fly in. enjoy
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:49 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
I was having a hard time with the 2 /6 channel programing. those two plugs act like a Y on my plane. Either both sides went up or down together.
Factory default is Aileron/Reverse ailerons for the AR6400L.

You need to convert the brick to separate Channel 2/Channel 6 per the AR6400/AR6400L manual to use flaperons.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:16 AM
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Modfly, just wanted to say thanks! I figured out the problem - the image of the manual showing how to convert to separate CH2/CH6 was from the AR6400 manual! Of course, having a Beast, I didn't have that manual. I downloaded it (for the Beast I believe it's the AR6400LBL) on-line and figured out how to do it. Then, following the rest of your instructions, I was able to program flaps on my Beast! Thank you again! =)
delaner is offline Find More Posts by delaner
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaner View Post
Modfly, just wanted to say thanks! I figured out the problem - the image of the manual showing how to convert to separate CH2/CH6 was from the AR6400 manual! Of course, having a Beast, I didn't have that manual. I downloaded it (for the Beast I believe it's the AR6400LBL) on-line and figured out how to do it. Then, following the rest of your instructions, I was able to program flaps on my Beast! Thank you again! =)
Your welcome. So your saying that the AR6400LBL is different with respect to servo mode programming?
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
No, I think the programming for the AR4600LBL may be the same as the AR6400.

My issue was that I was unable to tell what manual that programming image was from, so I wasn't clear how to reprogram the receiver into 'Type 2' or ch2/ch6 configuration.

I downlaoded the manual from the Eflite site and foundthe directions you were referring to, I didn't get a separate manual for the receiver with my Beast. Once I had the manual, I figured out what directions you were referring to and finished the procedure.

The procedure for the Beast - I didn't find it detailed here, perhaps I just missed it - is to make sure the aicraft receiver and DX6i are properly bound, unplug batt from rec, turn off tx, turn on tx, select aircraft, give full throttle, give full elevator/aileron (don't recall which dir now, will edit later), while holding plug in rec batt, rec batt will recognize after a few seconds, unplug batt, turn off tx, and continue programming as you've laid out. =)

Now I'm off to find flaps settings for the Beast!

Thanks again!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
No, I think the programming for the AR4600LBL may be the same as the AR6400.

My issue was that I was unable to tell what manual that programming image was from, so I wasn't clear how to reprogram the receiver into 'Type 2' or ch2/ch6 configuration.
I downlaoded the manual from the Eflite site and foundthe directions you were referring to, I didn't get a separate manual for the receiver with my Beast. Once I had the manual, I figured out what directions you were referring to and finished the procedure.

The procedure for the Beast - I didn't find it detailed here, perhaps I just missed it - is to make sure the aicraft receiver and DX6i are properly bound, unplug batt from rec, turn off tx, turn on tx, select aircraft, give full throttle, give full elevator/aileron (don't recall which dir now, will edit later), while holding plug in rec batt, rec batt will recognize after a few seconds, unplug batt, turn off tx, and continue programming as you've laid out. =)

Now I'm off to find flaps settings for the Beast!

Thanks again!
I don't think it matters as the aileron mode stick programming is the same for AR6400, AR6400L, AR6400LBL.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:42 AM
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Yes, you're right. Modfly, I feel like a knucklehead. I swear I searched for this thread for about a half hour with no joy, RemE pointed out it's number one link in his Beast mod thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349163

The search results didn't pull it somehow, I guess my terms were all wrong or something! Anyway, here's the complete how-to already done:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3099
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:04 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you're right. Modfly, I feel like a knucklehead. I swear I searched for this thread for about a half hour with no joy, RemE pointed out it's number one link in his Beast mod thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349163

The search results didn't pull it somehow, I guess my terms were all wrong or something! Anyway, here's the complete how-to already done:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3099
They changed the search engine here and eliminated Google search and now its hard to find certain things for some reason.

That instruction link you posted is busted.

I just did a new thread for the Beast with quad flaps. I tried to simplify it as much as possible.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362105
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
690 Posts
Mod, I just posted to you but I didnt come back to this thread.
How do I get my post out or your how to on flaps for beast. Can i just delete or can I move it?
JCS
miatamama is online now Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Mod, I just posted to you but I didnt come back to this thread.
How do I get my post out or your how to on flaps for beast. Can i just delete or can I move it?
JCS
If I understand the question correctly try this..

You can use the cut and paste function to move a post. Hi light the post then use the cut option, that copy's it to your clipboard and deletes the post at the same time. Once the post is empty, type ... and submit reply. Then paste the cut data to the thread you want.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:21 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,363 Posts
Before I attempt this I have a few questions

1. do I need servo reversing plugs?

2. Is this set up so one or a series of switches will set it back to normal?

3. does the programming change any if I fly mode 1 TX?

thanks

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
I just added some info to the instructions, Looks Like I forgot to mention that "Flaps" are reversed..

4-Site Flap setup instructions.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=42

Sorry but its hard to get these aileron mod institutions perfected but I'm sure we will get it right soon.

Just a reminder that no instructions exist outside of this thread for adding flaps to the 4-Site with flap\elevator mixing and that we are on the leading edge of AR6400L Technology here and no one said it would be easy

It was easy for me to do but apparently no so easy to articulate how I did it But I will keep trying. Has anyone else tried this mod and if so, please leave feedback so we can determine if the setup procedure works or no.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Before I attempt this I have a few questions

1. do I need servo reversing plugs?

2. Is this set up so one or a series of switches will set it back to normal?

3. does the programming change any if I fly mode 1 TX?

thanks

Ryan
Ryan, I have a updated thread for adding flaps to the 4site and Beast. Its all programming and no need to change anything else. If flaps are not use, Planes flys as normal. The instructions in this link are for the DX-6 only.
No reversing plug is needed.

Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:51 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,363 Posts
Thank you very much sir

I hope this mod makes the 4-site not want to tip stall and bank soo much in corners

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Ryan, I have a updated thread for adding flaps to the 4site and Beast. Its all programming and no need to change anything else. If flaps are not use, Planes flys as normal. The instructions in this link are for the DX-6 only.
No reversing plug is needed.

Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Thank you very much sir

I hope this mod makes the 4-site not want to tip stall and bank soo much in corners

lol
I think it's helping mine,,, at the same low flight speed the angle of attack is less so less tip stalling.. Use that rudder!!!!
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob