HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
sounds good, btw lets talk about test flights,

in my test flight I found that the 4 site can now turn without rudder now, try it its even more fun! best UM EVER!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:17 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Well, I fly Heli's to so I don't mind doing coordinated turns (rudder and elevator). I have not flown my 4-Site yet. I know its ridiculous but I have several biplanes that are similar and I have plenty of flight time on them. There is just way too much snow here right know and snow flights are not a good idea with planes that have open electronics mounted on the airframe. I will wait until the snow is gone. I'm encouraged with your flight reports LSD and looks like your the TP for the time being.

Like I said I have several biplanes that I have done this mod to as far as 3 years ago but they are not UM planes but I expect similar results.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
tommorrow I will test wiht 35,40% flap management and so on.... will let you guys know.... very cool stuff
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
I just relished all the links to page 3 post #42 do not work! For some reason the instructions get transposed when I post a link to them. So please just manually go to Page 3 Post #42 in this thread for the Flap setup Instructions.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwattie 1 View Post
Children children! No bickering! Actually I think MODFOOL did this mod last year

Edit: Whoops, Just trying to keep things peaceful. Modfly reported me and keeps changing his posts to make them nicer... Hmmmm...
Yes I edit my posts all the time for grammar and spelling, accuracy and I try to stay in the rules here @ rcgroups even though its difficult at times because of the trolling "wise guys" here. Making my posts "nicer" is not part of my editing criteria

Looks like you are editing your posts Bwattie as well Also you tend to post things that are not true or accurate. Oh, and no one likes a snitch

Things that make you go Hmmmm........ Well, you must be very interested in my threads and posts if your noticing that I edit them Bwattie
Perhaps you should focus less on me and more on r\c
Last edited by modfly; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Is there a danger of overdriving a servo if you are using flaps and have high rates (like if the flap plus aileron is greater than 100%?)
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:11 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
wow...all this bickering and hulabaloo....just for flaperons/spoilerons?? You guys should spend some time flying competition sailplanes...all this is basic common knowledge in that world. (It's an intriguing aspect of RC, and one learns a lot about gear setups, wind, approaches, aerodynamics etc.)

Bud, not flaming Bud (hey what was that "WUMP" sound?)

(my 4site should arrive in a few days...will NOT be programming flaps/spoilers...no need IMO...spoilers are meant for sailplanes and jets coming in high and hot...coordinated turns should remain a part of flying.)
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:15 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
Is there a danger of overdriving a servo if you are using flaps and have high rates (like if the flap plus aileron is greater than 100%?)
I do believe you should first set/limit your absolute servo travel, using E.P.A. (endpoint adjustment), before you set anything else. Of course, I could be wrong.

Bud
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
I do believe you should first set/limit your absolute servo travel, using E.P.A. (endpoint adjustment), before you set anything else. Of course, I could be wrong.Bud
You are
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
wow...all this bickering and hulabaloo....just for flaperons/spoilerons?? You guys should spend some time flying competition sailplanes...all this is basic common knowledge in that world. (It's an intriguing aspect of RC, and one learns a lot about gear setups, wind, approaches, aerodynamics etc.)

Bud, not flaming Bud (hey what was that "WUMP" sound?)

(my 4site should arrive in a few days...will NOT be programming flaps/spoilers...no need IMO...spoilers are meant for sailplanes and jets coming in high and hot...coordinated turns should remain a part of flying.)
Maybe you are missing the point my friend, I am presenting this info for those who are interested in making the 4-Site even better and exploring all its options and features. I think this is a cool mod as its all done in programming so no actual hardware changes are needed plus it does the same thing as the "air brake" option but adds no weight . But of course if you all ready now everthing, then it will be of little benefit to you

Another thing I would like to say bud is I think you are under estimating the difficulty in doing this mod. Programming the AR6400-AR6400L is a bit more difficult than it first appears as this is a very high tech brick and has lots of features that are unique. As far as I know, there is nothing else quite like it and this is new technology and the goal of this thread is to explore its potential..get it?
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
Answer..NO.
If you follow the instructions @ page 3, Post #42 in this thread if will work fine. I have tried it several times and it works perfect.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
(my 4site should arrive in a few days...will NOT be programming flaps/spoilers...
Well, this mod is not for everyone. Some people have no desire to change or innovate things as they are content with things the way they are. I prefer to try all the options myself and not make snap judgments abouts things until I try all the available options. To each his own

The 4-Site is the first of the UM micros to have dual aileron servos. I believe this makes the plane a natural for Flapperons\Spoilerons. The ailerons are connected in such a way that adding Flaps\Flapperons\Spoilers requires no physical mods. Seems obvious to me but then I already have several biplanes set up with dual 2 channel ailerons with flaps\spoilerons\elevator mixing etc. In my experience, these features enhance the planes flight capabilities.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
..spoilers are meant for sailplanes and jets coming in high and hot...coordinated turns should remain a part of flying.)
I disagree. Spoilerons can be used to great effect in other applications as well. Just because you are not aware of them does not make them invalid

I do agree that coordinated turns are useful in both planes and Heli's.

The plane in this video uses spoilerons and it helps the plane slow way down with out Tip Stall so it can be landed perfectly 100% of the time on pavement. Before the spoilerons were added, it had a landing acuracy of 70%.

Corsair landing (0 min 36 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Yes I see your points Modfly. I believe we will agree to disagree on some things. But hey, no worries, it's all about having fun.

Bud, agreeable Bud
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:16 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
First flight(s) finally

Ok Bud, fair enough

I Just got in from my first 4-Site flight. The plane was harder to fly than I thought it would be. Defiantly not a beginner plane. Of course my flight was not under optimum conditions. First it was dark and cold and under a street light at a parking lot with cars buzzing about. There was a lite variable breeze also. I flew the Ember2 and Vapor first to warm up as its been about 3 weeks since I have flown anything. I figured if the Vapor could handle the breeze, so could the 4-Site. Actually, the 4-site does not seem to like any kind of breeze at all. I did a ROG and the plane was off but the nose was really pitch up, thats when I relished I had the flaps on. So I turned them off and got it trimmed out and it was finally flying but it does require coordinated turns to keep it in a small area for sure. At the slightest breeze, the plane was hard to handle as it seemed to want to roll over. Then I noticed it was kinda touchy in the pitch axis but after checking it out looks like my elevator has poor centering. Also the plane has "up thrust" but the poor centering elevator seems to be the worst problem. I had a few rough landing due to the flaky elevator but no damage as far as I can see. The plane seems pretty tough to me. I ran 2 150 mah packs through it and I was getting pulsing within 1 minuter but it was very cold out (24 F). After the plane landed and it almost got ran over by a car I decided it was time to quit.

The Flaps do slow the plane down quite a bit but because I have a poor centering elevator I could not get it trimmed properly so more testing will be done once I resolve this issue. I would have to say from tonights flights it seems the Flap mod is worth the effort.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 19, 2010 at 08:39 PM.