HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:24 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,960 Posts
Discussion
Making an adapter to charge e-cig batteries from my Duo2

Heya, Id like to build an adapter to charge my e-cig batteries from my hyperion 610i duo 2, Im wanting to charge between 1 and 3 1S batteries at once at 1C+ rates, not unlike an adapter to charge multiple 1S micro lipos

The stock wallwart charger says its 4.7V at 370ma output, but it takes 4-5 hours to charge one battery, so it cant be a constant 370ma.

Each battery is somewhere around 370mah 4.7V LiIon, and has a screw in style plug. Ill pull apart the cartridges to get female plugs to use, but am not entirely sure how I need to wire it up.

Anyone cleverer than me wanna draw a simple wiring diagram for me?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:38 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
That would be parallel charging. If you look at a 1S 1P here:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

You would have several of those. And you want to connect all of the red battery connectors together and also connect all of the black battery connectors together. That will put all the cells in parallel.

Then connect the charger's output leads to the batteries and it will charge all the packs at the same time. All packs will be charged to the same voltage and it is best if they are all of the same size and at about the same state of discharge.

Set the charging rate to be the sum total of the capacity of all of the packs connected. If you are charging three 100 mAh packs, a 300 mAh rate would be a 1C charge.

Here is a good thread on parallel charging here if you want more info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

To make your own adapter for parallel charging you want something like this:

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html

That would charge two batteries with Dean's Ultra connectors, you would need one with your connectors and for as many batteries as you want to charge simultaneously.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
I don't think too many of us have experience with e-cigarette batteries...if that is indeed what you are talking about.

Could you post a picture of the battery?
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...nd_electronics

Smoking is stupid. I know because I used to smoke. But it appears that smokers are pretty much too stupid to be interested in the details of their batteries too.

All I can tell is that it is a Li-Ion battery with a screw on connector, there must be two contacts or at least another point of contact at the threaded end of the battery.

Might the batteries be good for indoor micros?

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,960 Posts
Awesome thanks!, for some reason I was thinking I need to hook em up in series, and the balance connection was confusing me, it was 1am Parallel makes it much easier.

jackerbes, yes it is stupid, but thats not what I asked, and no im not stupid but thanks for your opinion! Batteries arent really suitable for micros, they are pretty heavy.

Hughes 500 bob - pics. The threaded section is insulated from the centre of it, easy enough to make something up.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Yeah ... Indoor electric micros with a smoke trail. LOL

I applaud you for making the effort to quit .... what ever it takes!!

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Smoking is stupid. I know because I used to smoke. But it appears that smokers are pretty much too stupid to be interested in the details of their batteries too.
Boy, pretty loose with the stupid label, aren't you?

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
"..and no im not stupid but thanks for your opinion!..."

My apologies for that, that certainly read different than I intended. I was trying to comment on the paucity of info about the batteries I could find on the net.

Bill,

That was a mistake, I've fixed it.

Jack
RCG Plus Member