Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by gojino
California
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
Discussion
M.E.N. Trainer

Has anyone seen plans for a M.E.N Trainer, circa mid 70's Undercamber wing 3 channel tail dragger, I think I had a 25 engine on the one I had, I would be interested in plans or an old kit if someone had one available, I flew mine in North Tonowanda NY back in 77.
gojino is offline Find More Posts by gojino
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
4,011 Posts
Sweet plane.. my first... no longer have it or plans though . Had an enya .19 in mine and it was plenty of power.

From RC Universe.. Long ago but may still have plans ,etc..

shellydog -> RE: M.E.N. Trainer plans or kit (12/31/2004 12:42 PM)

Hello! I have a kit that I do not want to part with. However I will have the plans copied for you at a slight fee. My printer is just out side of town. I will make templates of those special under cambered wing ribs too. It should be an easy kit to scratch. Just remember the fuse sides are lite plywood. You should have a saw to cut them. I live near the original designer & kitter Jerry Jarvis <M.E.N.> Model Engineering Of Norwalk CT. He still runs a hobby shop but has no intentions of re-kitting his designs. Too bad! This plane is Awesome in calm to moderate wind conditions. I learned to fly R/C with this plane. Just let me know I will be glad to help! Shellydog
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Exsailor62
Spring, Texas
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
M.E.N. 20 Trainer

So, did anybody come up with the plans for the M.E.N. 20 Trainer? I have one still flyable but it has been around a long time and a fresh model would sure be nice. I still have my instruction manual for the kit, which includes a list of materials, but I think the plans are a goner. If anybody has plans or knows a source to purhcase plans, please email me. exsailor@sbcglobal.net
Exsailor62 is offline Find More Posts by Exsailor62
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,260 Posts
Looks like the AMA might be able to help...

Dear Gojino, Thermalin & Exsailor62:

The PIPE Here...please head to

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404206

for what could be the BEST solution for your shared challenge, in getting a set of plans to build an M.E.N. Trainer from!

Hope it helps...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by suffolk112000
Joined May 2015
11 Posts
So has anybody had any luck finding plans or anything re the M.E.N. trainer 20?
It's one of the best planes I've ever flown.
suffolk112000 is offline Find More Posts by suffolk112000
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:48 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,260 Posts
HERE is the thread I started - the AMA Plans Service MIGHT have 'em for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post
So has anybody had any luck finding plans or anything re the M.E.N. trainer 20?
It's one of the best planes I've ever flown.
Dear suffolk112000:

The PIPE Here again...did you look at the thread I started just FOR this request? It's linked HERE, and for seems to be about $15.00 before postage, the AMA JUST might have what you're looking for!

Hope this helps you out!

Best of luck and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,410 Posts
You could also copy the file from outerzone, take it to a print shop and have them do it, though the cost would probably be about the same.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4101

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 25, 2016, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by burlesontom
Joined Nov 2011
120 Posts
I used to see the plans on Ebay all the time. They also have the MEN cub plans. Here is my late flying buddies MEN trainer from about 1999.
burlesontom is offline Find More Posts by burlesontom
Old Mar 03, 2016, 11:06 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,260 Posts
I've saved the Outerzone PDF files for later CAD-ding of the design...

Dear Fellow RC-Groupers:

The PIPE Here again - since the Outerzone files are PDFs, which can have the plans saved from them as separate JPEG files, such JPEGs could be placed as "loaded images" within my DesignCAD v.25 computer drafting software's "vector drawing editor" environment, allowing them to be CAD-ded accurately enough to eventually re-create its plans, when I've got the time.

Also, thanks to "burlesentom's" photo in this thread (which I saved on my hard disk), the MISSING parts of the drawing from the Outerzone PDF files (the elevator & rudder outlines) can be photogrammetrically re-created using the "DC" CAD software, which in time can lead to a complete set of plans for that old three-channel classic trainer.

This COULD be a bit off in the future from my own situation, as I've got a pair of college-taken CAD/3D modeling classes to complete the work for before the end of May 2016 gets here.

But, when I CAN get to it, a check with AMA HQ concerning their possible need for a "complete" plan set for the original M.E.N Trainer design mentioned in this thread will be done, and a set of CAD plans for it could be something I could help out with, especially over the coming summer.

Till then, though, I've got to get back to my schoolwork...

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 09:33 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,260 Posts
Which small FOUR stroke mill would be good for the original?

Dear M.E.N. Trainer Fans:

The PIPE Here again...I've managed to use the Adobe Reader's "Take a Snapshot" feature to take a set of six "snapshots" of the first page of the Outerzone plans. But, since I was curious, I "dove right in" and brought together all six of the "snapshots" in my copy of CorelDRAW X7. As a result, I'm not at all far away from having it ready to import as a single sheet into my copy of DesignCAD 3DMax v.25, ready for the scaling to actual size for the model (based on its stated 58 inch/147.3 cm wingspan) to do the tracing within the "DC" vector drafting environment.

But based on the original airframe's specified "0.15 to 0.20 cu-in. two -stroke engine" specs, would either the HP VT-21 rotary-head valve or Saito FA-30S FOUR STROKE engines be a good choice for the M.E.N. design, that so many people are waiting for the plans to be resurrected? I've got one of each of these, and I'm simply curious if either one would be a good choice for powering one!

Thanks in advance and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,410 Posts
I flew my Livewire Champ for years on an OS 15 FP. It had a 55 inch span and weighed 2 lbs 14 oz. with 590 sq. in. area. I think the aspect ratio of M.E.N. Trainer is a little less, so very similar in wing area. That tells me that if you keep it light it will fly fine on the HP 21, or, if somewhat heavier, the Saito 30 would be plenty. Thermalin said he flew his on an Enya 19, which is no powerhouse, so there you are. I think you'd be fine with either engine.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 18, 2016, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by wingtips
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
MEN Trainer

Hello all you guys. I bought a built MEN trainer at a local RC swap meet last year. It was had an Enya .25 in the nose. I pulled the engine and put a 480 size motor in it turning a 10x5 and fly it with a 4000 ma 3s pack. It flys well at 4lbs but the power of the motor is only enough to fly it around, it needs a little dive to make a round loop, but is much fun as it is. With the motor stopped and the prop locked to stop with the ESC brake on, it will thermal! It penetrates surprisingly well with the prop stopped, and has an excellent glide ratio. Much better than I expected with that highly under cambered airfoil. It would do well with any 20 to 30 fs and an 11x3 prop or a 10x4. I have a kit of that plane I have been sitting on for about 5 years and, was very excited to get the built plane to be able to try out the design. I have a bunch of kits that I just cant part with and the MEN Trainer 20 is one of them. It is a unique plane. I have, also, the MEN MiniMousestang kit that uses that airfoil. The first plane I saw to use that airfoil was the Ken Willards Showmaster in RCM, back in the early 70s.
wingtips is offline Find More Posts by wingtips
Last edited by wingtips; Mar 18, 2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: change sumpin
Old Apr 10, 2016, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Tommyg567
Joined Jul 2015
5 Posts
There's currently a MEN Trainer on eBay . Doesn't look complete but the plans are there. Going for $25.
I got a quote at Staples to print some 36"x25" plans and they want $19 each!
Tommyg567 is offline Find More Posts by Tommyg567
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg567 View Post
There's currently a MEN Trainer on eBay . Doesn't look complete but the plans are there. Going for $25.
I got a quote at Staples to print some 36"x25" plans and they want $19 each!

LOL, good 'ol Staples....

I charge $.45 sq/ft, which comes out to about $3/plan.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member