HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2003
493 Posts
BMJR Models - Kits any good?

Hey,
I am pondering a couple of kits from BMJR Models. The Ugly Stick and the Miles Magister are the cause of this pondering. Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Here is the text from their web page on the Miles Magister.

The BMJR Magister, designed by Dave Platt, has been engineered for electric power and micro R/C equipment allowing it to be flown in a small area, with full 4-channel control. Or, as a true 1" to 1' scale representation, it may be built for static display. It is a very stable flyer, yet capable of scale loops and rolls. This is a COMPLETE kit containing over 250 items including 126 laser cut parts, trainer yellow covering, authentic British RAF marking decals and DuBro hardware.
$67.95

Any thoughts?

-Mo
Mo Jiggy is offline Find More Posts by Mo Jiggy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2003, 07:26 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
I bought the Ugly 30, 2 1/2 years ago, built it and then said no way will this stand up to my flying. After setting a year, got it out and decided to destroy it in the Wyoming wind so I could put the gear in something else. Could not believe how easy this thing was to fly- even in moderate winds! It's one of my favorite planes and goes with me almost every time I go flying. I know at least I'll be able to fly it in the wind even if everything else is grounded.
Started with a DX-A and has a 280 now.
A year later they came out with the Ugly Bipe. Figured it should fly too- right again! Got one for Xmas built it right away and put a EPS 300C in it. Flys great and will handle some wind. It was the only one I trusted yesterday in 15 mph winds. Blown around alot in gusts but it did handle it. Crashed my balsa and foam ME-109 because of the wind but the Ugly Bipe did great. Just wish they had picked different names for them. I highly recommend both of them ( Ugly 30 and Ugly Bipe )and the Magister is designed by Dave Platt, one of the greatest scale modellers of all time, so it must be good. Do it, you won't regret it. Good Luck.
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 22, 2003, 05:10 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
700 Posts
Mo,

If you go to the Ezone article archive you will find the review I did on the Ugly 30 and Ugly Sport kits. The Ugly Sport came before the Ugly Bipe. Brian Malin, Mr. BMJR, bought out the bipe based on my playing around with the review Ugly Sport.

I have not seen the Magister kit, but I would assume it is well done. The BMJR kits are laser cut and use good wood. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old May 26, 2003, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2003
493 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I read the reveiw and will add the kits to my list!

-Mo
Old Jul 14, 2003, 03:38 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
What's the word on this BMJR Miles Magister Kit?

Did anyone ever build one of these BMJR Miles Magister kits? I just ordered one for my next project and would appreciate any input on the model or the airplane! Thanks!

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Jul 14, 2003, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2003
493 Posts
pburress,

I guess we will learn together, just ordered one last night.

-Mo
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:09 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
Mile Magister Builds

I am going on vacation until 7-28-03 so I won't get started until then, but I would definitely like to compare notes. It's a beautiful airplane! Attached is the image from the bmjr web site. I've found very little other info on this kit.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:56 AM
Joined Mar 2003
493 Posts
Received an e-mail from BMJR, kit will not ship for a few days.

My expectations are high for this one!

Keep in touch.

-Mo
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:42 PM
Obstinate spurious drone
Cost-ifornia, 90045
Joined Feb 2003
252 Posts
Very promising model

I recieved the Magister kit about a month ago.

The instructions are good, with color printing.

The wood selection is some of the best I have seen!

I have: touched the parts-looked at the plans-and built most of it, in my mind, and expect it to be a fine model. Not a begining builders kit though.

Others have also expressed the same doubts about the performance capabilities of the stock specified power plant. It is called a "280" in the ads and in instructions. What it means is the GWS DX-A "180", which is a 280 approximation. Many speculate that the dual motor GWS DX drive is the way to go.

Anybody in the heat of construction, please post some play by play.

jeff edmondson is offline Find More Posts by jeff edmondson
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:55 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
I don't have the kit but if Dave designed it , it will fly very well. Don't know about the rec. power but I bet it would handle a geared sp300 and have plenty of power. As I said before, the Ugly 30 and Ugly Bipe are just great fliers.
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:28 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
That looks like a nice model. What is BMJR's website?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 17, 2003, 06:43 AM
Joined Mar 2003
493 Posts
Dreamer,

bmjrmodels.com, not a whole lot of info there.

-Mo
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:51 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
I rec'd the kit today and it's excellent. It has a really nice steerable tailwheel and detailed e-power setup instructions. The instruction photos show an EPU-3 system, not a 280. Will start building after 7-28. I can't wait!

*Here is some info on power systems that Brian Malin Sr. sent me via e-mail: "I will note that the first Prototype Magister Dave built had a speed 280 and it was just too heavy and flew too fast to be fun or scale. My son has been flying Prototype #3 that has over 25 flights with the EPU-3 , with an 8x4.3 GWS prop, and 7 cell 280 mAh pack. flys OK. gets off the ground in about 25-30 feet climbs well and will loop from a shallow dive. Rolls do lose altitude so strat high. Probably just piloting skill. Our model is 9.2
oz. The Magister Dave flew at Toledo and Top Gun had the EPU-3, 7/280, but with a custom Carbon Fiber 8x4 prop. Some local guys have gone to 8 cells and report better performance. Tony of
T&A Hobby Lobby in California has reported the west coast builders have used the EPU-4 with 7x6 Graumpner prop on 7/280 pack and are very happy.
Brian Sr."
Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:52 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
Miles Magister build

Okay it's been a while but I'm working on the MM at a good pace lately and it's coming along nicely. Here are a few pics.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:06 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
Mile Magister con't

And a couple more... I'm ready to cover the wing. After that comes building the tailwheel assembly and covering the fuselage.

I'm still haven't decided on a motor for it. I'm leaning towards the IPS Dual for now. I have a Berg 4 receiver and a micro antenna ready to be installed.