HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 05:13 PM
Joined May 2003
3 Posts
Don't you hate this?

Mabye this is just me but me and this other person whose name I will not mention were flying. We both have elevator/rudder/throttle planes. We would just fly around with mabye an occasional loop.

The next day when we saw eachother and were with some other friends he would make fun of me for not doing any aerobatics. He would say that just because he looped more he was an absolute no questions better pilot.

This for one did not seem fair because he had a plane that looped easier and also how does the number of loops affect pilot skill when flying two totaly different rudder/elevator only planes.

Mabye it is just me and mabye I am rambling, but it sure makes me want to quit the hobby and discourage anyone from joining when too pilots can not just fly togethor and not argue about who is better.

Again, mabye I am just speaking in anger but I am getting frusterated because this is not the first time he has done it. And also he is not exactly an experienced pilot, all he has is a slowstick and a gas trainer.

Mabye I need to shut up.
RhinoJL is offline Find More Posts by RhinoJL
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2003, 05:21 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
If i were you, I would just stay in the hobby and when he says something to you, just give him a grin and a chuckle and go about your way..

I am infamous at my local nitro club because of how many planes I will break.. Some guys like to laugh.. It's easy to break them when your flying less than 1 mistake high..

Me and a friend of mine have a saying.. it applies here.. "You gotta shake those haters off"... Just shake him off man...

Don't give up a hobby that is wonderful like ours because of some lamo... There's ALWAYS someone bigger and better than you, ya know? If it were me.. I'd just laugh to myself at him and continue flying..

Laughing about the lack of skill in aerobatics on has on a rudder/elevator plane is pointless..

Shake him off dude.. shake him off...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old May 21, 2003, 05:26 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Go off and secretly practice inverted flight and rudder rolls...

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old May 21, 2003, 05:28 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
First off, WELCOME TO THE E-ZONE!!!

Your not rambling, everybody needs to let some steam off every once in a while. I agree with you, I dislike those people. Last year, when I was truly learning to fly, this guy(my age, 15 years old), he thought that becasue he had a new plane(a thunder tiger) he fle better than me. I had my dad's old PT40. He learned on it and so did I , so its kind of a family destiny. I didn't take kindly to his comments, so I got back at him by a) soloing in about 10 flights or less, and he was just learning to land. Then When he actually did solo, he never landed it well. He always flew it into the bush and crashed it. I have never crashed planes. I take people's crashed planes and rebuild them for them. It's a good business. But back to my story. B) By flying inverted, about 40 feet off the deck. At full throttle. He couldn't fly that low in a glide!!

So, fellow E-zoners,

Just because you have better equipment doesn't mean your a better pilot. Respect others, even if they don't have as good as equipment as you. If other people's flying styles are less relaxed than yours, don't make, poke, or have fun with it. Make a few jokes, but don't insult them. That's ust what they want to do.

And when they crash, don't laugh. Ask them what went wrong, and say "it looks fixable." Offer them a hand in repairing it or picking up the peices.

And now the Golden rule:
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old May 21, 2003, 05:40 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
RhinoJL,
Don't let one person's opinion discourage you.
I fly for the joy of flying, not to be better or worse than another.
Heck, I can't do rolls or outside loops, much less some of stuff I see these fellows do in the vids.
Some day I will.
You'll always find someone is better than you(at anything in life) and at the same time you can take comfort that there is always someone worse than you(like me).
If your buddy continues to talk that way, he's probably not that much of a buddy after all...
Good luck, and keep the chin up,
- Bil
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old May 21, 2003, 05:49 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Bill, hows it going, been doing any flying?

You coming to the next indoor?

Now to the topic starter, you can be the bigger person as stated above and just smile and laugh at the other guy. Dont worry about what he has to say, he is not flying your plane. Just because he can loop that does not make him a better pilot.

Now on the OTHER hand. You could also hack out a nice blue foam plane and fly it around for a little while learning on it. Then next time yall are together, smack him out of the sky and tell him your sorry, but your not a very good pilot

NOTE*** For everyone who is going to chime in that this is bad for the hobby and dont do this and ....yada yada yada, this is meant as a JOKE!

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old May 21, 2003, 05:57 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Jul 2001
199 Posts
RhinoJL
Tell him that you are really impressed with his flying skills, he obviously needs that reassurance. Then just smile and think to yourself, "you idiot!". How you fly model airplanes does not make or break you as a person. It is a fun hobby, nothing more, nothing less. Just enjoy it.
jared salbato is offline Find More Posts by jared salbato
Old May 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Yeah hang in there Rhino
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
Old May 21, 2003, 06:10 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
off topic...

Hi Glenn.
I'm doing awful.
The weather has kept me grounded for what, two weeks?
I sent you an email.
- Bil
Old May 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,534 Posts
Full size pilots( Pilots of full size planes) will tell you that the mark of a good pilot is how he lands a plane. It is easy to make a plane flop around the sky like a bird on drugs. It is a lot harder to make a smooth aproach and landing..
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 21, 2003, 06:23 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
1987tc,
I'll second that opinion!
Old May 21, 2003, 06:27 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
What about the people who deliberatly land their plane upside down? Would that be a good or a bad landing? It just sounds funny:P

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old May 21, 2003, 06:44 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Next time ask him if he wants to trade planes and see who flies better!

Seriously, just agree with him, let his ego puff up, then when you have a better plane and more experience and are flying circles around him don't even say anything to him, just let him burn with envy.

BTW, of the 4 other guys that I have flown with I am probably on the bottom of the pile as far as skill goes, but I have a blast, even when I do something dumb and crash. At least I'm learning and getting better and enjoy what I'm doing. To me it isn't a competition to see who the best pilot is, because I know I'm never going to be the best pilot in the world.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Last edited by 10Thumbs; May 21, 2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 21, 2003, 11:47 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
RhinoJL

He's just needling you, and as long as he knows it gets to you, he'll keep it up.
When he claims to be a better pilot, just say "Yup, you sure are." and let it go. When he sees he isn't getting to you, he'll probably stop. If not, just don't say anything, ignore him.

It's not about who's better, it's about having fun.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 22, 2003, 12:17 AM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
or option #2....

(as Devil Horns pop from my skull)

You COULD shadow him around the sky, coming ominously close, until he panics about your proximity and makes the fatel mistake leading to his doom!

Oh wait... What was I thinking. Sorry, 'twas my alter ego.

Nah, just shake it off. He apparantly has the Napoleon complex going and needs to make himself feel superior. I agree with the above... Just tell him "yup, you're a fantastic pilot", and then roll your eyes.
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham