HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
Mantua Model - Magika RC 1/8 scale car -non XS (need some help)

Hey everyone...

I'm Jonathan, and I'm new to the board as you can see, this will be my first post! However I'm not new to rc cars though .

Recently I purchased a used 1/8 scale rc car. While I have got it up and running, and it runs somewhat well, it needs some suspension work, and general clean up. I proceeded to pull it apart and clean up the car, and also look for some replacement parts.

My Question is does anyone here recoinze what I have, or would they be able to point me to where I can find a chassis and spare parts for my car?

I've found most parts on the mantua model page, but I am a little confused, their are two cars which are close but not close enough for replacement parts. The bottom and top chassis are totally different, as well as the lower suspension control arms. Those are just plastic and I would like to at least have some spares, as well as the top and bottom chassis incase something terrible were to happen, but I fear I cannot find a replacement... I'll explain further .

In either case :

Mitika - https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/page.asp?pageidx=41

Magika XS - https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/page.asp?pageidx=36

Seem to be the closest relatives, but I believe my car is somewhere between the Mitika and Magika XS. My chassis where the center differential bolts down, has the second screw in the middle. The other cars seem to use a different layout for the chassis, which maybe if I needed to I could just drill and sink the holes, but the top part of the chassis doesn't match at all.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
jc179 is offline Find More Posts by jc179
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:52 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Your best bet would be to call them or E-mail them and ask.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
Your best bet would be to call them or E-mail them and ask.
Thanks. I've sent them an email with similar pictures, but yet to hear anything back. I think unfortunately this thing predates the online forms, I believe itís around 1992 era... Just hoping someone might recognize it from a long time ago

Thanks

Jonathan
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc179 View Post
Thanks. I've sent them an email with similar pictures, but yet to hear anything back. I think unfortunately this thing predates the online forms, I believe itís around 1992 era... Just hoping someone might recognize it from a long time ago

Thanks

Jonathan
Hey! I graduated in 1992 we had running water and electricity back then. Ya back then we had 386 computers and FM radios were the trend as well as this new music style called grunge
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
haha no offence intended! I remember the 386 and 486 we had then, but seem to have missed that music style

I recieved a response from Mantua Model today, but it seems the chassis may not be available... so I will have to be careful not to have any accidents !

Cheers

Jonathan
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Hey Jonathan none 'I tend to find humor in everything.
If its getting to be a hassle to repair maybe it is time for a new one and retire that old girl to a shelf. Maybe it will be collectible someday . Good luck!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,398 Posts
mredzadventure is right give the car a couple last runs threw it maybe till the engine just has no life left in it to make it another couple years and then just retire it put up on a shelf.
rc_pro_86 is offline Find More Posts by rc_pro_86
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:51 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Hey all

Thanks for the responses. It seems Mantua model in UK has some parts, and I managed to find a semi local Hobby shop in Toronto (John's Photo and Book), the staff at the location have been so helpful, and even were able to source some parts for me. (In case anyone else in the area happens to come into one of these cars by Mantua).

So far for an old car, its pretty quick for a single speed transmission. The engine looks like new inside - no burns on the pistion, looks clean. The problem is however is I suspect the ball bearings weren't treated after running, and the carb... oh what a pain. The old O-rings inside. Those are shot, and I keep having to dismantle and rebuild it all the time. I've tried a few parts I have from cars to temporarly tac it together, and when it runs, and stays running it runs well.

Out of curosity does anyone have a fairly good condition .21 + upto say .27 sized motor they're looking to sell that has a start wheel on it for a starter box?

Thanks

Jonathan
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Thanks for the up date glad to here the "old" girl is running.