HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
35 Posts
Discussion
nitro car tuning problem

hi
i have a 1:16 nitro car called an hsp starpace and it starts and when you rev the engine it will do it but then it makes a really low pitch noise and if you try to rev it again it will cut out. I have tried to adjust the high speed needle and it works for about 5mins but then it cuts out. If you try to start it again it is extremely hard to start again. i have tried adjusting the needle again but it does the same process. I am not sure whether its running to lean or to rich. please help
super cub is offline Find More Posts by super cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
well i'd adjust the idle screw untill it will idle reliably, then adjust the high speed needle untill it excepts throttle easily, and then if you give the car gas and it lags a ton as it's getting going, adjust the low speed needle a tiny bit. remember were it was when you started out and adjust in very small increments.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Apr 2009
106 Posts
It sounds real rich.
I would turn the needle to 3 1/2 turns out on the HSN and 1 3/4 turns out on the LSN to start a tuning session. It should be rich at this setting but it should idle and run. Adjust it in 1/8 turn increments on the HSN until you are satisfied with the throttle response and performance. Just remember that if you do not see a thin visible trail of smoke while at WOT, you are running too lean. Go back one 1/8 turn and then concentrate on your LSN.
A real quick way to set your LSN is to do a couple high speed passes (to make sure that the engine isn't loaded up with unburned fuel), then immediately stop the car and pinch the fuel line as close to the carb as possible and see how long it takes to shut off. It should speed up and die in about 3 seconds. Any longer and it is too rich, any faster (and high revving) it is too lean. It is also handy to have a temp gauge to help keep your tune in line. It should be running prime in the 200-230 range. Every engine is different and some run cooler and some run warmer.
Hope I helped and keep us posted.
Sublime_Slayer is offline Find More Posts by Sublime_Slayer