HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:18 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
Revell Proto cx and Nine Eagles Solo Free Spirit

Hello all you RC people. I'm new to this group. I have recently quit the gas engine RC world and am in the middle of embracing the new generation of easy flying heli's. I just purchased the Revell Proto cx.
I have been reading all your posts and would like a little more clarification on the LiPo battery situation. Can I use the Nine Eagles Solo Free Spirit battery without the LVC chip in the Proto cx ? Was there something about a mod to the Proto battery slot or to the battery itself ? And any other news on a better skid ?

Glad to see there are quite a few satisfied Proto fliers out there. I'm looking forward to really having some indoor fun with mine.

Ed at EFEX Electronics
EFEX ED is offline Find More Posts by EFEX ED
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:49 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,033 Posts
The only difference is the chip in the Proto batteries. Any Solo or Solo Pro or Free Spirit or Mini-Stinger batteries can be used in the Proto. All of these are made by Nine Eagles.

The Eflite MCX type batteries require a mod to use them on the Solo or Proto or Mini-Stinger.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Hi Ed
Welcome aboard
So very pleased to meet you
Im loving my ProtoCX
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176582
So happy to see your enjoying yours
Take care and have fun
Hank
shin is offline Find More Posts by shin
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:07 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,772 Posts
Hi Ed. Glad to have you coming on board with a Revell Proto CX.

Here's a link to my modification where I can now use the Eflite-type, Proto CX stock, or Nine Eagles batteries: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post14079072

And here is where I have found the best source for the Eflite-type that are very inexpensive and seem to work reasonably well for the price: Tenergy, 130mAh, 1S, 10C

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:22 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,033 Posts
Sorry Ed, forgot to say "WELCOME"
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
2 Posts
I took my Proto to a Nascar party at a Golf Club Clubhouse on Sunday.
High ceilings and lots of "oops" room. While the Nascar guys were repairing the hole in the track I entertained the folks and kids at the clubhouse. I was thrilled to be able to take off from the table I was sitting at and fly around the room and back to the table. All with the remote setting on advanced. I did experience the loss of power at the end of a 10 to 15 minute flight. I had read earlier about the LVC chip and was as prepared as I could be. So many "dead stick" flights experience sure helps.
I didn't have any equipment failures. But the skids sure took a pounding.
I am definitely ready to upgrade this heli and try another model.
You guy's are a great resource for us newbies.
EFEX ED
EFEX ED is offline Find More Posts by EFEX ED
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:09 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,033 Posts
Move over Ed and let me fly there LOL.

Sounds like you had a LOT of fun, great show. Probably a lot of young boys begging momma for one now!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
new to rc

Hi - I have a proto cx helicopter for my son. Is the stabilizer bar required to make it fly? I think I lost that darn little piece... I finally got a replacement Lipro battery and we tried to start it up. I can get the lower blades to go back and forth but nothing seems to make the top blades go. I tried following the flight instructions but so far no luck. So wondering if the stabilizer bar might be issue. Any tips or tricks welcome. I'm not good at the rc thing and would love to help my 8 year old get this figured out! Thanks!
ak4595 is offline Find More Posts by ak4595