HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 11:15 AM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
Fast Forward Flight on Hummingbird?

Just wondering if fast forward flights are possible with the Hummingbird. I've seen videos of other micros flying laps in a gymnasium but I've yet to see a video of the Hummingbird performing such flights. There are a few hovering videos of the Hummingbird so I'm wondering if those fast forward flights are possible. Thanks.
Manchild is offline Find More Posts by Manchild
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2003, 11:59 AM
NW WA, USA
Joined Mar 2003
104 Posts
Yes. FF Flight is certainly possible. One change you may want to make before attempting it is to stiffen the head. Check out: Head Stiffening. This helps reduce pitch-up during ff. If you take it outside, make sure it is a calm day! ANY wind and that little heli will be all over the place. A gym would certainly be the preferred place to fly.
kenru is offline Find More Posts by kenru
Old May 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
anyone have a video of hummingbird in fast flight?
Old May 21, 2003, 11:38 PM
slc utah
Joined Jan 2003
148 Posts
I've just started flying my HB FF and its great. It will really move. My trouble now is making the transition from FF to hover. I can do it but its a little sloppy. I'll try to get some video this weekend.
SchylarB is offline Find More Posts by SchylarB
Old May 22, 2003, 02:53 PM
Northern CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
128 Posts
yes, the transition from FF to hover is tough, especially outside. The head stiffener in my opinion is essential for any kind of forward flight or the pitch up is just too severe.

By far the hardest thing I've found flying my HB outside in any kind of wind is trying to descend/land. With fixed pitch you need to slow down the motor, but by doing so you also lose cyclic authority. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to land between balancing enough forward cyclic to fight the wind with less head speed to descend. Hopefully a collective upgrade for the HB will come soon!

-Art
art4242 is online now Find More Posts by art4242
Old May 23, 2003, 07:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2002
57 Posts
This was the head stiffening mod I used. Just a couple of M2.5 bolts and a small piece of 1 mm ply with two 2.5 mm holes. Cut the bolts so there's 10mm protruding, slide the ply over the bolts and hold with a couple of drops of CA. it now flies much nicer in forward flight.

The other mod that helped was increasing rotor RPM by reducing blade pitch (only works if you have a hotter than standard motor setup to give the extra revs)
knife'n'slow is offline Find More Posts by knife'n'slow
Old May 23, 2003, 03:10 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
so bottom line is FF flight not possible without "head stiffening"?
Old May 23, 2003, 03:36 PM
Millarville,Alberta,Canada
Joined Jun 2000
544 Posts
Hi

I was going to use a ice cream stick, just the right size and should be strong enough. This weekend going to try out. need a ice cream now.

Wayne
wayne is offline Find More Posts by wayne
Old May 24, 2003, 07:01 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
FF flight on the HB is definately possible without the head stiffiner mod. But it i sprobably a whloe lot more plesant to do with it.

I am using Hornet FP CF blades with a higher headspeed. I think these blades help a bit as they are not so severely undercambered as the stock blades.

At any rate - I have bee flying mine in FF more and more lately. It takes some gettin used to though. As you increase forward speed, it takes less throttle to maintian altitude. One trick I found is keeping the forward speed constant. It's transitioning from fast to moderate, etc speed than tends to cause problems. I start from about 3' and puch the forward cyclic gently forward until I am at a comfortable speed all the while lowering the throttle. Then it is a matter of trying to maintian this forward speed to avoid any pitch up or dropping. Your thumbs eventually get the hang of where the throttle needs to be in relation to your speed and it starts to come naturally after a while.

Good luck with it. I may build a stiffiner tonight and give it a try tomorrow (weather permitting).

Steve M
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old May 24, 2003, 07:35 PM
DELAWARE
Joined Mar 2003
846 Posts
heli-world has promo video of the humming bird doing more than hovering
50feet is offline Find More Posts by 50feet
Old Jun 02, 2003, 02:06 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,362 Posts