HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Kyneton
Joined Apr 2008
324 Posts
Discussion
Specktrum TX Futaba Servos 3003

I have just powered up my Spectrum DX7 system into Futaba 3003 servo's.
they don't work. Servo's are brand new and are not connected to ailerons rudders etc, they were running free (no load). They are heating battery packs and wires with no motion of servo's.
Replaced with Spectrum servo's as supplied with transmitter and receiver and everthing works perfectly.
My question is are these servo's not supposed to be used with Spectrum equipment? Any suggestions other than throw them away??
paul timms is offline Find More Posts by paul timms
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Golden Retrievers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
They should work fine. I use Futaba servos with Spektrum Rxes.

You do have to cut the tab off the Futaba servo connector to make sure you can plug the servo in properly. Heating the packs and wires tends to be caused by a short.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Kyneton
Joined Apr 2008
324 Posts
Every thing was conected corectly I just pulled the 3003 out and replaced it with the standard Specktrum servo and its perfect . Its not only one servo its all of them are the same . Thanks for the reply. Paul T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Golden Retrievers
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:44 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,019 Posts
Not too many possibilities here. These are standard servos, interchangeable with any other standard servo. Futaba servos are used with Spektrum radios all the time.

If the Spektrum servos work, the radio is doing its thing. So that means either the servos are defective (possible but unlikely unless they have been damaged by reverse connection) or there's a problem plugging them in.

If the servos have Futaba connectors, the flange has to be removed to allow them to plug into most Spektrum receivers. Note that the servo plugs can be reversed without causing damage, but obviously they won't work the wrong way round.

Have the Futaba servos been used with any other radio. In other words, do you know they work?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 14, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:32 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Like others here have said, Futaba servos work great with Spektuum receivers. I fly my "butterfly" that way.
Please let us know when you find what is causing the battery pack and wiring to heat up. That might save some of us a serious problem.
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:14 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
I have the AR6000 in Celestia, with an FP servo, however the Yamato on the bench next to it has a Futaba S3003 to traverse the front turrets. I can confir that the S3003 when plugged into the AR6000 DOES WORK.

I suspect that you have crossed the neg and signal over or have a duff servo
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
paul timms Have you found the cause of the heating yet ????
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Kyneton
Joined Apr 2008
324 Posts
Problem solved

Hi and thanks for all the replys . This is what's been the problem. One servo was faulty. All the servos were brand new straight out of the box. The throttle servo was the one that was shorting out with a high current draw. I had put all leads into the reciver which droped the voltage so the reciever voltage was low, not allowing anything to operate. The problem is internal.I have not removed any covers to see if I can fix it quick and simply.
I have just replaced it with another new one. I only bought 12 of them to see if they are any good, not a good beging . I just remembered that I bought a Futarba servo last year and there was no hard where with it , the dealer thoght that was OK also. Yours Paul T
PS Marion I also try to fly a butterfly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by paul timms; Feb 16, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:50 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul timms View Post
Hi and thanks for all the replys . This is what been the problem. One servo was faulty. All the servos were brand new straight out of the box. The throttle servo was the one that was shorting out with a high current draws. I had put all leads into the reciver which droped the voltage so the reciever voltage was now low not allowing anything to operate. The problem is internal.I have not removed any covers to see if I can fix it quick and simple.
I have just replaced it with another new one. I only bought 12 of them to see if they are any good, not a good beging . I just remembered that I bought a Futarba servo last year and there was no hard where with it , the dealer thoght that was OK also. Yours Paul T
PS Marion I also try to flu a bullerfly
Thanks for letting us know. It's nice to find out how things turned out.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what caused the problem.

I really enjoy relaxing with my Butterfly drifting around the sky :-)