HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:20 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Cool
Finally I got my FPV Maiden!

OK guys, after a few years of waiting, I have finally entered the wonderful hobby of FPV. Last weekend, I finally had the right conditions to take up my FPV easy star, and WOW, was it FUN.

The first few flights were non FPV. Progressively we got closer and closer to the actual FPV flight. First flight was CG test with nothing onboard for video equipment. The second was flight with camera but non operational. The final flight was with FPV enabled, but others watched the screen as I flew the plane normally. And then came the actual flight I have been quietly waiting for, for a very long time.

The first flight was a great success. Once I got the plane up, I figured I would have to get used to the camera and fly mostly by sight. But the video was so clear, and so immersive that I went straight for the good stuff. The day was perfect, no wind or rain, the whole field was mine to search. I could not believe everything was working so perfect, I wouldn't have changed anything.

The thing about the field I fly at, is there are tons of crashed and unrecovered planes out in the bushes behind the airstrip. That along with very tall grass, many crashed planes never find their way back home. So I got the idea to go look for planes out there. Although I do not expect to find many useful parts, its just a ton of fun to search and recover with friends.

On this flight we spotted a large plane of to the left of the field in very tall grass. I circled it several times, and it was obvious it was a plane wreck. I had my friend Zach go out and bring it back, it was a blast. The plane carried a 2.4GHz spectrum RX, Several Digital Hitec Servos, an OS .91 4 stroke engine, and a god battery pack. The wreck was obviously recent, because the parts were in fine condition. The moisture from Washington weather rendered the airframe done, as it fell apart at the table, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nmCfJxjYgw

Please excuse my overactive excitement, I was very happy, lol. This is my friends Youtube account, I will have them available on mine soon.

Please know though, that I am not one to steal. I called a friend that was on the board of this club, and he was able to identify who the plane belonged to. I called up Mike, and he told me he only wanted the engine back, he did not want the electronics after being in the rain. The engine was in great condition.

Next flight was more searching, and a plane wreck number 2 was believed to be spotted behind the bushes. The next flight did confirm that, and so I guided my friend to the site by circling and talking on the phone at the same time. This one was obviously a crash that had been there for a while. The planes balsa was nearly black and it fell apart as I pulled it out of the bushes. Believe it or not though the receiver looked to be in perfect condition, and only one of the several standard Futaba servos was not functioning right. The engine showed great buildup on the outside. I spent a couple hours cleaning it up. The carb needs to be replaced, but the engine is cleaned, and the inside mechanics are smooth as new, with wonderful compression, I believe the engine must have been fairly new when it was crashed. It was a .40 glow by the way.

Multiplex EasyStar FPV Aerial Reconnaissance! We Found And Salvaged An R-C Airplane With FPV! (9 min 7 sec)

I just want to thank everyone here in FPV on RCG. You are all that made it possible to reach this goal, with the vast amounts of available information and help. I went to knowing hardly anything about electronics; I even did not know much about how electric planes worked. Now I consider myself well informed on many things about the hobby. I am glad to be part of the community here.

Scott
scolen3 is offline Find More Posts by scolen3
Last edited by scolen3; Feb 13, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:39 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,999 Posts
Great story Scott... I bet you will have a free membership for life in your club in exchange for your search and rescue services.

You did well in spotting the airframes !
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,622 Posts
nice video scolen3 + nice rescue story...

i think the fence is overkill ! Now i remember why i quit flying field club !
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Here are some pictures related. That's not me in the image at the table by the way.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
nice video scolen3 + nice rescue story...

i think the fence is overkill ! Now i remember why i quit flying field club !
Ya, kinda sucks. I know they are doing their job, but the safety officers rant about every small thing that goes on. They are usually the guys with the giant scale gassers. I mean no offense yo anyone who flies the giants, but at my field, they all have huge egos, I hate it. I even heard from a friend who went to a club meeting, and one of them mentioned that other people are just jealous of them and their planes.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
tell your safety officers that in order to be really safe while flying they need to duck behind that fence. be sure to find yourself some cover too, as their plane has a good chance of losing signal and come crashing down

I usually welcome our "safety officer" with a good low pass over his car as he drives up to our field. I then proceed to offer a truce in exchange for removing those stupid nets we have at our field We'll see what happens first ... a crash or those nets being removed.

Being an FPV pilot I get certain privileges though, as my flight area is a lot bigger than those of a visual pilot and extends to both sides of the net. So I usually ask someone to go behind the net, chuck my plane, while I'm seated right next to the barbecue
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
Nicely done Scott!

What unit goes between the computer monitor and the video out from the rx and how are you powering the monitor in the field?

Thanks
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Not gonna lie... that was probably one of the most gangster maidens i've ever seen... grats on the loot bro
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
402 Posts
I am using a grandtec GVC converter for my GS.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:52 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,322 Posts
Scott,

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that video. It was nice to see/hear everyone...

And yet another reason why every club should let FPV in.

Thanks again.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:50 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
And yet another reason why every club should let FPV in.
Wait, theres clubs who shun FPV?
Thats a dick move, why would they?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:35 AM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
FPV for the most part is frowned upon by the AMA, they have rules for it, but the rules they have require 2 pilots and the main pilot to be flying the plane normal and the buddybox pilot can be fpv... its pretty retarded but meh... its the reason I left my local club, I wasn't allowed to fly there...
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:03 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Suhweet score! Welcome to the party

I like the monitor setup, I always thought that would be a little cumbersome but it looks pretty easy on your setup.

What freq you fly on? (Video and R/C)
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:03 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
Welcome to FPV! Yeah, I can totally feel your excitement! I STILL get all jazzed up when I'm about to fly FPV and I've been doing this for five years! Its such a blast! Very very cool on finding downed planes. How high do you think you were when you spotted the planes?
philthyy is online now Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:02 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,047 Posts
That sounded like my reation when I took my maiden flight.

What I want to know is why someone left such a nice plane sitting out there in the grass. That doesn't look like it would have been too hard to find from the ground if you knew where you were looking.
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119