HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2003
4 Posts
Hi,i m a newbie,should i get this transmitter?

Hi there guys,

I m a total newbie to RC airplanes,but have been fascinated for a long long time.

I plan to get into Electric flying real soon( love the GWS Tigermoth) and i was just wondering if this transmitter that my local hobby shop carries will fit the bill.
It's a JR Propo FM 4 Channel radio and here's the specs that he wrote down for me:

INTER CHANGEABLE CRYSTAL
REVERSE SWITCH
FM / ABC & W SYSTEm
MODEL: SYSTEM W4C-3S
TRANSMITTER: NET-W124V
RECEIVER: NER-844X
SERVO: NES-507 x3
ACCESSORIESRY CELL BATTERY CASE AND SWITCH, SERVO RUBBERS AND MOUNTING SCREWS, EXTRA SERVO ARMS

They do have a 5 channel model,but i m not too sure if i need the extra channel,for now or even in the future.

I have also downloaded FMS and i d like to know this transmitter can work with the FMS computer simulator.

Would love to hear what you guys have to say.Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
nadelect is offline Find More Posts by nadelect
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2003, 11:08 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
It sounds like it might be a Quattro but I don't recognise most of those part numbers so I guess it's not US or UK standard equipment. It might help if you fill in your location so we have an idea where you are.

Only thing I would say is that I wouldn't buy a dry cell transmitter. Get one with rechargeable NiCds instead. Also the servos I do recognise and they're way too big for a Tiger Moth (and most electrics).

I'm sure it will work with FMS if it has a buddy socket and most transmitters do these days.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old May 21, 2003, 10:09 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Welcome to the ezone!!
Take your time and read around here for a few weeks before making a decision. You should definitely get a radio with a rechargeable battery in it and the lightest receiver/servo combo possible. When I started out I was going to buy the lowest price radio I could. When I called New Creations to place my order Kirk Massey took the time to explain why I wanted to buy enough radio for my future use and was he ever right. I ended up with the Hitec Flash 5xG.
If you hang around here long enough you wil here the motto "Buy Cheap Buy Twice" It is so very true.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old May 30, 2003, 08:27 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Ask yourself what you want to be doing in this hobby a year from now. I decided to start out with a higher end solution, an Eclipse7 from Hitec. It has got everything you could want to last you for years to come. It stores 7 model settings so you don't have to mess with the trim on separate models, has all the mixes and settings you'd want. You can get this with a Spectra module which allows you to change tx frequencies. Just buy different channel crystals for your receivers. Hitec service is very good. I damaged my TX from a prop strike and Hitec fixed it free!

I just checked www.servocity.com and the Eclipse7 with the Spectra is now $218, used to be $230.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old May 30, 2003, 10:10 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
All good advice! You should at least buy a TX with rechargable batteries! One thing that hasn't been mentioned.... in the remote chance you decide this is not your thing and you decide to sell a good TX like the Hitec 5X or the Eclipse 7 is easy to sell and you will recover a good part of your money where a cheap TX used will be a hard item to give away!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 03, 2003, 09:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Annerley
Joined Mar 2002
315 Posts
Ditto on boomer's and Mike C's advice. IMHO, if you're on a budget, the Hitec Flash 5X is one of the best buys around. If you can afford more, then the Eclipse or similar computer radio would be best. Sometimes you can find great deals on ebay. I recommend Hitec due to their great after-sales and after-after-sales service. I don't think anyone can beat them at it yet.
With respect to FMS, you'd need a cable interface. Don't remember the feller's name though. Maybe someone else can pipe in and post the website for FMS interfaces.
shazi is offline Find More Posts by shazi
Old Jun 03, 2003, 09:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Good source for a interface....
http://fms1.mattclement.com/ bought 2 already!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace