HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2003, 05:25 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
442 Posts
How much weight can a corona carry?

How much weight can a stock corona carry Vs a BL corona?
Like if I were to put say a "camera" on my corona,what weight could i possible carry were it wont effect flight that bad?
ProfitOfDoom is online now Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2003, 09:51 AM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,487 Posts
Hello Profit. Using only a 7.2 volt Li-Poly pack and Atomic Force I can lift 400 grams (can of Coke). With Brushless, that will increase. Tom Viper lifted 600 grams with the 8.6 volt Nicad and Atomic Force combo.

You can easily carry a small pencam or video system (look in Aerial Photography on E-Zone). Good luck. Here are some of my lifts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=113794
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old May 21, 2003, 01:08 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
The Corona doesn't seem to mind extra wieght at all.

Got a bud who put a camera system on his that was around 6 oz and the 120 handled it with no problem.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 21, 2003, 01:20 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
People have mentioned the Corona becomes more stable when you're carrying payloads, and I just realized why.

It's because it's a fixed pitch heli, and when you load weight onto it, the only way to get extra lift is to increase the headspeed, which has a nice side effect of making the heli more stable.

You have to be careful not to exceed the maximum 2000 rpm headspeed, though. If you're carrying a lot of weight, you may want to switch to the 6x6 blade grips to avoid going over 2000 rpm.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old May 21, 2003, 05:59 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
I knew Rob would be in this thread somewhere. . .

-=SkyHawke=-
SkyHawke is offline Find More Posts by SkyHawke
Old May 21, 2003, 09:23 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,487 Posts
Of course SkyHawke I'm here! I hope to post a video of my parachute in action from Sunday. My Brother is just editing it with music and I hope it will be ready in a few days...I'll be sure to PM you then.

About lifting extra weight: has anyone (or everyone) wondered about the extra wear and tear on the bearings etc? I only fly with "heavy" weight on occasion and for short periods, so I hope the longevity should remain. If not, I'm not to concerned about replacement parts as this is a fun hobby not our father's 1971 Volvo

Gotta go...got the urge to find something to air-lift. Need a smaller dog.
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old May 21, 2003, 10:04 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
442 Posts
I will donate a hamster?he should fly pretty good
ProfitOfDoom is online now Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Old May 21, 2003, 11:31 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
How about a small styrofoam glider?

That would be pretty cool, you could rig it up to drop during FF and it could float back to earth. . .

With my luck, the thing would get caught in the TR . ..

-=SkyHawke=-
Old May 22, 2003, 03:23 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
larger.

I was thinking of something LARGER

Maybe I will hook something up tonight.. seeming this is our last day of flying for the next week due to rain in the forecast.

Any suggestions? I don't really care about head speed... if it flies apart.. then oh well it will be exciting!
IncredibleITGuy is offline Find More Posts by IncredibleITGuy
Old May 22, 2003, 04:55 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Quote:
I will donate a hamster?he should fly pretty good
Why did you have to go and say that.....Now every time I look at my daughters new hamster, I'm going to be thinking about how much he would love to go for a little ride......
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old May 22, 2003, 10:11 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
16oz? More Wierd stuff?

This is a gardening spray/pump bottle with 10oz of fluid in bottom. It is pretty big... I will weigh it exactly but I am guessing around 15oz or 16oz at least.

I am going to strap fishing lures to the Corona next.. they weigh 3oz each.. and it shouldn't have the pendulum effect either..

My brother was laughing quite hard at me while filming this short clip... you will see what I mean by pendulum effect!!

lol

More wierd stuff to come!

Corona Lifting Dumb Junk (WMV file)

I am going to see if I can get the MR to fly off.

I encourage people NOT to lift too much weight with their heli's as it could prove to shorten it's life-span.
Last edited by IncredibleITGuy; May 22, 2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old May 22, 2003, 10:27 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
Oh, that is very important! Never thought about the pendulum effect. . .

Kind of funny though. ..

I almost forgot, but I found another use for the Corona. . .

Earlier this week, my father in law mowed the lawn. I noticed some grass clippings in the street and tried out the "Leaf Blower Setting" on the Corona. . .

Worked fine, although I kept finding grass clippings in the canopy this week . . .

-=SkyHawke=-
Old May 22, 2003, 10:41 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
water footage?

This coming weekend if the weather breaks, my brother and I are going to take a spin on his new 27' cruiser. It's a big boat... and should make a nice landing platform for the Corona... over the lake! (I need to attach a floatation device of sorts)

That should make for an interesting time.

I am still hunting around for interesting things to lift... There is a small dog next door who barks like crazy anytime I start up the heli's. I wouldn't mind hooking his collar and dropping him in the pool.