Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:05 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Deadpan?
Not the one I had initially used, but it would have been better than flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
My dad has been in a barbershop chorus for about 15 years now, and has been also part of a quartet (Bass) for about 6 years.
I actually practiced with the chorus two years ago at christmas, and have close to his range, and have the 'ear.' I am wasting it on my new guitar hobby.
Do yourself a favor, and take private vocal lessons. Even if you play guitar, singing well is always a handy trick to pull off. Plus, it is just plain fun when you start learning how powerful you can be with just tones.

Not that many bassos around. There's always gigs for guys with your range. Of course, you'll never get the melody either.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:14 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Yep. I find her vocal arrangements mesmerizing.
I find something about her mesmerizing as well, not sure that it is her vocal arrangements however.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:24 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Yes.

Don't think so. Whoever that was had a bad day.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PomplamooseMusic

http://mugshotdujour.com/florida/nat...ocaine-2112008

Quote:
Pomplamoose…Sad.
It does look like the girl in the second pic spells her name a bit differently...

Found both pics with a google image search for Nataly Dawn.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:34 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Have you seen Christine Aguilera's harmonies? Actually, I ain't sure those are all her voices, she has some excellent back up singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYGp5VdYbE

Andrews Sisters sing Candyman (3 min 15 sec)

Which leads to this thread related vid:

Christina Aguilera vs The Andrews Sisters (6 min 24 sec)
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Feb 14, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
With all due respect to Christine A, all she's doing is voicing over a prerecorded track of her backup singers, who are doing the harmonizing. She's not harmonizing at all.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:03 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
With all due respect to Christine A, all she's doing is voicing over a prerecorded track of her backup singers, who are doing the harmonizing. She's not harmonizing at all.
I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct. To me it sounds like her voice was run through a digital harmonizer to create the other pitches. The harmonies are too perfectly matched. Real people when they sing together, are never perfectly in tune, and this lack of intuneness, which fluctuates up and down fairly rapidly, creates an effect that one can hear. Curious enough, most digital effects units (like a stomp box for a guitar) have an effect called a Chorus that does exactly this; making the signal go slightly in and out of tune with itself to make it sound like more than one signal.

Please understand I am not attempting to defend Ms. Aguilera's singing, or her video. She is who she is. I am not a fan of her, but that is mostly because I don't fit the demographic she is marketed for.

On second thought.... I went back and listened again. There is more than one vocal track, but they all sound like they were sung by the same voice. I believe a digital harmonizer was used in parts, but she, or one person, is singing most of the parts.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct. To me it sounds like her voice was run through a digital harmonizer to create the other pitches. The harmonies are too perfectly matched. Real people when they sing together, are never perfectly in tune, and this lack of intuneness, which fluctuates up and down fairly rapidly, creates an effect that one can hear. Curious enough, most digital effects units (like a stomp box for a guitar) have an effect called a Chorus that does exactly this; making the signal go slightly in and out of tune with itself to make it sound like more than one signal.

Please understand I am not attempting to defend Ms. Aguilera's singing, or her video. She is who she is. I am not a fan of her, but that is mostly because I don't fit the demographic she is marketed for.

On second thought.... I went back and listened again. There is more than one vocal track, but they all sound like they were sung by the same voice. I believe a digital harmonizer was used in parts, but she, or one person, is singing most of the parts.
Fair enough. I don't pretend to know more than I really do about music; but I still stand by my original contention that she's not doing any harmonizing...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,939 Posts
If you want to talk about layering vocal tracks, you have to mention Enya

Enya - Caribbean blue (HQ) (3 min 53 sec)
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie