HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coathanger24 View Post
I just received my f18 from bh yesterday. I had to mod the battery area just to get the stock battery to fit. I bought some 1300mah batteries and i dont know if i will be able to get them to fit and balance right. My problem is the bay they put in to receive the front landing gear (I thought these were suppose to be belly landers) it takes up all the room. Any one else have this problem? i am scared to cut too much more out of the foam dont want the front end to snap off.

these are best as belly landers... get rid of the divider for the gear... i hav a heavier fan/motor setup in my jet -- but i also moved the fan unit back further in the model as well which was easy to do. Consider doing that to help balance a larger lipo.
WRXronald is offline Find More Posts by WRXronald
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:29 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,618 Posts
Where is the cg on the f-18
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
cmon guys help me.

which set up should i go for my f-86...i need to buy the set up today...4s or the 3s...it should not be a brick to land.

mike
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee View Post
cmon guys help me.

which set up should i go for my f-86...i need to buy the set up today...4s or the 3s...it should not be a brick to land.

mike
4s.

i just finally tested my 4s system with a 5000kv motor and an ESC that could actually move the juice.

Turnigy Plush 25, down in a blaze of glory; up in a puff of smoke.

Turnigy Sentry 40 --- yeah this one works the WEMO.

530watts peak; 35.8amps peak.

This sucker is hungry. CAUTION: Fan inhales small rats. (and almost my 5lb chihuahua too )

All this time on the 25 and it couldn't consistently peak over 440watts. The ESC was holding 'er back. I tested it all the way up to 4s 3000 30C... peak right around 530 watts +/- each time. That's this motor limit in the WEMO. Purs.

Too bad the weight gain of the 40 ESC; oh well, no choice now; as i said the 25 is a pile of stinky electrical STINK ash.

So go 4s. My 500gram F16 still lands quite nice and soft, even with a billowing smoke signal from the ESC "help me i'm burning!!" and fanless... the controls worked just long enough to line up a ditch in the tall grass (no crash damage at all)
Last edited by WRXronald; Mar 16, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee View Post
cmon guys help me.
mike
Hard to say as I only have the AMX so do not how how much lipo the F86 can handle spacewise. Once I see people getting ship notices of the airframe only versions I will order them to test but after flying my AMX I personally want more. So I plan on the 4800 and 4S for the rest of them as they are really not that small of an EDF liek a 40mm model is, they are like an Alfa A4 size so 350-400 watts is a good place to be in my opinion.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Where is the cg on the f-18
IN the book the CG is 12mm back from leading edge if that helps u
Coathanger24 is offline Find More Posts by Coathanger24
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald View Post
these are best as belly landers... get rid of the divider for the gear... i hav a heavier fan/motor setup in my jet -- but i also moved the fan unit back further in the model as well which was easy to do. Consider doing that to help balance a larger lipo.
Thank you I have done that now I am just keeping the wheels incase I get another to land on asphalt. How is yours set up? I got one flight in today and after I got it trimed it flew great!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Ok I just took the plunge and bought the other three airframes

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:23 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
If you guys are going to do the nip and tuck on the AMX I measured again and got 37.5 as the diameter for 80% FSA.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts

thanks Don...

i trimmed a hair off mine, right around 37.5mm now.

The rebuild is complete with 40amp Turnigy Sentry ESC.

I cut some excess wire off --- so she ends with an AUW of 518grams.

Pretty portly -- Curious to see where its at on the new air-frame only in terms of AUW.

Minus the repair hot glue -- probably 495-500grams AUW.

See how she flies tomorrow early (well today already actually) -- Happy St Patties day to those of you who celebrate.

I'm hoping she's faster/better than yesterday due to the 40A esc ability to flow the battery juice much better than the 25A and THIN THIN wires i was using prior.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,618 Posts
Thank you coathanger24 I got mine from pw-rc and it didnt come with a manual So thats why I asked
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:24 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,618 Posts
Its pretty narrow space Might have to run two 2 cells and run them in series to get 4s But going to fly it stock first and see how it flys before putting in the wemo/dons 4800kv combo
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
how narrow? F16 just barely wide enough -- you might be pleasantly surprised.

Don 37.5 is the ticket. She's flying fastest ever so far with that and the 40A esc -- -which actually helped my CoG as well by mounting it back far in the fuse.

I'll get some doppler video this weekend hopefully -- when i can get out to a larger field. My spot today was too small to really light her up. Flew 5minutes not barely ever at full throttle and lipo 15.1volts resting -- AWESOME AWESOME!! She's really dialed in now, even after BURN damage and repair.
Last edited by WRXronald; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:24 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coathanger24 View Post
IN the book the CG is 12mm back from leading edge if that helps u
Seems not right where on the leading edge was that measured
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Seems not right where on the leading edge was that measured
Sorry i just glanced at the book when i typed that. What it says is 42mm (not 12 didnt have my contacts in) it points to the area just as the wing meets the fuselage and its back from there... on min it balances perfectly just behind the line where the fronterons end on the wing. I am sory for the missinformation earlier