HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I was hoping to be in the 350 watt range on 3S with the 5400 but that is not the case I am going to try the W4800 on 4S tomorrow. Maybe I need to get a special Wicked motor for this made, something like 5800-6000KV.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I have not tested the stock system yet with any other lipo as I need to change the connector, but the the sticker on the stock system says 14.2 amps. I did test run it and it shakes pretty good as the shaft is bent on the stock motor. The Wemo needs to be balanced.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The nip and tuck is complete, it was very easy to do see photos. I also tested the W4800 on 4S and it was 29 amps and about 430 watts. I also did a stock motor system and it was 140-150 watts. So my plan is to fly first on the Wicked 5400 and 3S which is about twice stock power then go to the 4800 on 4S for crazy speed at three times the stock power. I am ordering a few 4S1000 30C lipo.

So here are the power options I have tested in the Wemo Mocro 50mm fan:

Wicked 5400 on 3S lipo: 24 amps 280 watts
Wicked 4000 on 4S lipo: 22 amps 325 watts
Wicked 4800 on 4S lipo: 29 amps 430 watts

Stock on 3S is 14.2 amps 145 watts

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The nip and tuck is complete, it was very easy to do see photos. I also tested the W4800 on 4S and it was 29 amps and about 430 watts. I also did a stock motor system and it was 140-150 watts. So my plan is to fly first on the Wicked 5400 and 3S which is about twice stock power then go to the 4800 on 4S for crazy speed at three times the stock power. I am ordering a few 4S1000 30C lipo.

So here are the power options I have tested in the Wemo Mocro 50mm fan:

Wicked 5400 on 3S lipo: 24 amps 280 watts
Wicked 4000 on 4S lipo: 22 amps 325 watts
Wicked 4800 on 4S lipo: 29 amps 430 watts

Stock on 3S is 14.2 amps 145 watts

Don
Thanks for all the great detail on the power systems Don!! You're the first to bring together a decent dataset. I'm surprised to see these jets fly as good as they do at just 150 watts stock power system.

Gives a good idea how impressive climbout ought to be even at 280 watts on the 3 lipo. 4s should be only necessary for the DIE-HARDEST flyers with severe NEED FOR SPEED issues.

I can't imagine it on 4s 1000's 30C's ! Hope you're fingers are FAST and your eyesight is KEEN.

WRXronald is offline Find More Posts by WRXronald
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The 4S will be awesome, but the 3S will be the first run. I just ordered a few lipos from Value Hobby so they should be here in a few days.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=15&item_id=65

The 4S 1000s I will have to get from Hobbycity I guess.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Wow Don,

Your really not messing around with this airframe! More power and tapering down the exaust tube. I can tell what your after! Moving on to the controls are you planning to use one servo on each side for both ailerons and elevator as they instruct? Thats setup is strange to me. From my racing experience I have seen mixing of flaperons with the "up" elevator from people like Joe Wurtz and Dave Shadel. The idea is to increase lift when turning. With the AMX they are doing the opposite if done per the instructions. Seems like a quick solution from the manufacturer that has yet to be questioned by ARF "builders".
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Subscribed! Awesome thread! I can't wait to see what Don has in store for us!

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:25 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Wow Don,
Your really not messing around with this airframe! More power and tapering down the exaust tube. I can tell what your after! Moving on to the controls are you planning to use one servo on each side for both ailerons and elevator as they instruct?
I am goign to fly it tailerons only. They are big enough and this model is small in span and my guess is 1/8" aileron throws will make this roll like crazy at higher speeds so I am going taileron route.

The dual system like this I have tried before on my little F35 and it worked fine but it was setup so the aileron throws were quite low, about 1/8" so they do not do much with up and down elevator. My guess though is that this will fly just OK with no ailerons even stock.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:27 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby View Post
Subscribed! Awesome thread! I can't wait to see what Don has in store for us!
Pete
Pete,

Something about a small fast model that I love. The small size and high speed makes them look twice as fast. I hope you decide to stock airframe only version for us crazy people on all these 50mm jets.

Dom
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
My lipos have shipped so will be here in a few days. I did a test run on an older 20C 3S1300 pack and it was 260 watts. Hope to get a little more on these new 30C packs coming. AUW is 13.0 ounces with that 3S1300. Thrust was 1:1 which I was happy with since I reduced the exit nozzle, that comes out to an efflux of 118 mph so I expect to be in the 90 mph range with this setup.

The Wemo Micro fan seems to me to operate better with at least 350 watts or so. It seemed to me the thrust was much better at higher power levels so not sure if I would recommend replacing the stock fan unit with this unit unless you plan to run higher wattage. I did balance it and now it runs very nice and sounds great!

Gluing this plane together was so easy. I use regular CA and kicker and it worked just fine. I did modify front of the canopy to make it slide in with the lipo as the heavier wicked motor plus the standoff adapter requires the lipo to be far forward to balance.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:23 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,415 Posts
Don is that your wicked powerd 55mm a4 been waiten 4 ya ta fly?
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:10 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
That is it! I have several to maiden, the A10, F14, A4 and now the AMX. Darn snow, wind and cold!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That is it! I have several to maiden, the A10, F14, A4 and now the AMX. Darn snow, wind and cold!

Don
come on Don -- I can't live 25mins away from you!! I just got two flights in on Sunday. You lettin' this snow stop you?

You must have that little problem with SNOW covered and wet electronics...

Although I was lucky yesterday --- no radio cutouts in flight. FW F35 was good on two out of four throws. First throw crash full of snow --- shook it out and it flew no issues 2 seconds later.

Ahh well -- get out there and fly 'em I say -- I'm lovin' the EDF flyin' so much lately the snow might slow me down a tad, but i refuse to let it stop me.

Fly 'em if you got 'em!!! Want to see your AMX rip a hole in the sky!!!!!!!
WRXronald is offline Find More Posts by WRXronald
Last edited by WRXronald; Feb 16, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Well I live about 150mi south of of Don here in Ohio and I still have not been able to maiden mine or fly my wicked 4800 powered HL Skyblazer OR fly my HL 360D F16 yet. The snow here in Ohio has been relentless. We got like 8" yesterday and another 3" today on top of the 13" we got last week that hasn't melted yet and there is more on the way!! I think Friday is the only day in the 10 day forecast that doesn't have snow in it. If I'm lucky I might get mine out but, the there isn't a day in the foreseeable future with temps above 30F and if there has been a day with no snow then the wind has kicked up making the conditions terrible for flying these little jets! This has been the worst winter I can remember in my 32yrs.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:12 PM
Pacifica,CA
Joined Oct 2006
323 Posts
Hey Don,
I have an extra micro fan and wicked 5400 sitting here. Is the rotor a direct fit on the 5400 shaft? Or did you need an adapter. If so, which one? I have the F-86 with a wemo micro and a Razor 300 in it right now. I'm getting about 150 watts @ 13amps wot and the security that it's not gonna blow up on me.
awayne is offline Find More Posts by awayne