HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
Lots of torque and small wing area on the AMX. I found on stock power I had no roll problem. With a Wemo mini-fan and Don's motor, lots of torque and left roll.
I gave up hand launch and went to a bungee launch.
CMD,

You aint lying... I gotta get the bungee cat. Now I need a new cone. Cheers

DonQ
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,768 Posts
The AMX needs a pretty good toss to get going. But you also need to have it set up correctly. Yes it has a lot of torque roll at low speeds but if you get it flying with a good toss to begin with there will be no issues. You also need to either pin the ailerons or set them to barely move at all. The Elevator should be doing 98% of the work. With these wings being so small spoilerons actually kill too much lift making it hard to fly especially on launch. Once I tuned out the aileron movement all of the launching/torquing problems went away. Also with the hopped up motors you need no more than 60% throttle to launch. I use 4s on a stock set up now and have used a high power set up as well. Nothing more than 60% throttle to get it flying. I will take a video of mine flying so that you can see what I mean...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
Joined Jan 2008
474 Posts
Goon,

My ailerons are fixed so no movement. I have flown this with stock and a hand launch was perfect.
With the Don's setup gives it a bunch of torque... I am looking for a new body...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:45 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Goon,

My ailerons are fixed so no movement. I have flown this with stock and a hand launch was perfect.
With the Don's setup gives it a bunch of torque... I am looking for a new body...
Then lower your throttle when you throw it. That could be all it is.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,777 Posts
I launch all my EDF models full throttle with a very firm push and I never have issues on launch. All videos I see with launch issues are from not throwing the model hard enough and or twisting the wrist at the end of the launch.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:55 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I launch all my EDF models full throttle with a very firm push and I never have issues on launch. All videos I see with launch issues are from not throwing the model hard enough and or twisting the wrist at the end of the launch.
I agree. Most problems are in the throw.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
FWIW, I upgraded my AMX to the Don's Wicked/Wemo combo and mine has hand launched perfectly every time. A solid push at about 10 degrees up at WOT is how I launch. My ailerons are solid... Only the tail is hooked up to servos.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
Joined Jan 2008
474 Posts
Anyone got an extra one to get rid of... I am looking for just the body... Cheers

DonQ
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
anahedril

G'day, having stripped out one of Don's wicked 4800kv weomo's from my f18 run on 1000mh 4s nano 65c 40A hawk esc, now installed in New amx fuselage. The f18 flys nicely and will again, these jpower 50mm are great I have a jpower 64mm amx done 30ish flights in 2years all banged up and carbon reinforced now with stock stinger64 running gear, stinger has gws typhoon 4s setup. Building a 70mm hk viper with wemo and 1w40 on 6s too.

Question, does anyone have anahedril set on the wings, I have on the 64mm amx about 3 degrees, at first there was none nice and flat, but after a palm tree attack at full noise pylon racing myself in the backyard, I used Stickabond to repair. It's a honey looking stuff that expands like foam over 6hrs and sets like areldite resin, good stuff, try filling a carbon rod groove with rod in and sand smooth. The difference in flight is noticeable it will hold alt longer when banked and banks over (rolls) further before dropping its nose.
I will setup with elevons only after flying f18 with both. Does a carbon rod really interfer with air speed if its in the inlet ducting, stiffen the wing.
frogforce is offline Find More Posts by frogforce
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
Joined Jan 2008
474 Posts
Frog,

I added small rods in mine, but it didn't go into the inlet. I have extra AMX parts if you are interested. Cheers

DonQ
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
thanks Don

Cheers for replying mate, this wicked wemo is delish, sounds super sweet when wound up past 350watts, peaks at 33a 430w settles at 29a 403w on 1000mh 4s 65c nano. Yee-ha! Fast.
Do you think it wise to put anahedril or leave the underside flat, level. I have 2 complete kits from hk to play with whilst my shoulder reconstruction surgery heals. Hangglideing say no more.
Ordered a t45 kit too, expect another wemo combo order shortly. Might try one with and one without, I'll post results/findings. Happy landings all, cheers Kane.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:52 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
more toys

When holding these wings against the fuse it seems there is already some anahedril built in, I'll go with it I think. Here's more pics.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
more toys

When holding these wings against the fuse it seems there is already some anahedril built in, I'll go with it I think. Here's more pics. ANHEDRAL, correction spelling, my bad.
Last edited by frogforce; Aug 18, 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling lesson
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
auw 424g

Auw with 1000mh batt is 424g, when I throw in the 1800mh its 529g, have to chuck this hard, only ever fudged one hand launch on the 64mm amx. Hs55 servos, more pics. Thanks Don for answer on stinger 64 thread about power options, cheers Kane.