1,190 Posts
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Ok that last pic showing the end ... is the plane still top side down, and bottom side up??
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Ok that last pic showing the end ... is the plane still top side down, and bottom side up??
Correct. Bottom side down. Bottom being the flatter side.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:22 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
If so, I think rdbell is right... .just switch sides and flip them over...

The longest side of the the ELEVON is up... switch sides and flip both elevons 180 degrees.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Correct. Bottom side down. Bottom being the flatter side.
Oh booy.... so, you took the top view pic with the plane upside down... then you flipped the plane over to take the end of the wing shot??
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
If so, I think rdbell is right... .just switch sides and flip them over...

The longest side of the the ELEVON is up... switch sides and flip both elevons 180 degrees.
I still don't think that's correct. Even if I did do that the cuts still look the same. I 'd have to turn them around the wrong way for the cuts to look how they should. More evidence:

Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:33 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Well like bell I thought you had them switched... but really its not a big deal at all.... just make sure you have your 8" total clearance for prop... 4" each way from center.

Actually most guys trim the outside ends of the elevons at a 45 degree angle anyway... to avoid damage when its in your trunk and stuff like that.... It will not affect the way it flys... proceed as normal.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Well like bell I thought you had them switched... but really its not a big deal at all.... just make sure you have your 8" total clearance for prop... 4" each way from center.

Actually most guys trim the outside ends of the elevons at a 45 degree angle anyway... to avoid damage when its in your trunk and stuff like that.... It will not affect the way it flys... proceed as normal.
A page full of worrying lol. Thanks bud. And yeah they still have 8" of clearance.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2011
106 Posts
I have been experiencing a weird thing with my reaper for awhile.

When I go full speed with the turnigy 1700KV motor into the wind, or on a dive the wings will flap/vibrate pretty violently.

Why is my reaper doing this? This one has not been crashed and I finished putting it together roughly 1.5 months ago. I installed exactly as Lee instructs, and exactly how my first reaper was constructed.

Any ideas? More spars? more glue on the spars?
dec03001 is offline Find More Posts by dec03001
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec03001 View Post

When I go full speed with the turnigy 1700KV motor into the wind, or on a dive the wings will flap/vibrate pretty violently.

Why is my reaper doing this? This one has not been crashed and I finished putting it together roughly 1.5 months ago. I installed exactly as Lee instructs, and exactly how my first reaper was constructed.

That sounds scary. I thought I saw a video of a wing that looked like a bird flapping it's wings for a moment. Hope it don't happen to me.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec03001 View Post

What you are describing is usually loose linkages or loose servos.

Make sure your servos are tight in the foam. Make sure they can't move under the stress of flight.

Make sure your elevon horns are glued in tight. I have had two flyers this month that have had to re-glue a horn into an elevon because it had ripped out. In both cases they didn't catch it on the ground and launched with the horn loose. It takes longer to heat the glue gun than to fix the problem but it will make your plane do strange things.

With your radio off..... You should be able to turn the servo arm from the tip of your elevon without the wire flexing. Are your hinge lines torn or loose?

If the spars are glued in properly it is unlikely that it is a spar problem but I have seen a lot of unlikely things happen lately. Twist the wing and see if you have spar movement. A broken or loose spar can cause flutter.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts

Well I'm done with the air frame. I just need to order my electronics now. The more I get into this the more scary it is. The elevons aren't perfectly straight. I just hope it's okay for now. They move in both directions with ease. I haven't laminated them to the body yet.

Just breathe Adam lol

For the electronics I was going to go with these.

The metal gear servos (don't want to find a link. I'm sure you know)

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

One of those with the 60amp esc attatched

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965

This in hopes it will work with my FlySky 6ch TX. (the rx with the fly sky has ports on top so it would be awkward to stuff)

I suppose that's it.

Also should I tape over the fins that came with mine? Or should I leave those holes open for drag?
Last edited by Bear_Pants; Jun 26, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:08 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Hey all ima order a reaper next week and it is for fpv ima run a 2.6 ounce motor with 26 ounces of trust on a 7x4 prop at 62 mph prop speed a 2200 or 2560 3cell not sure withch one yet a 30-35 amp speed control at 1 ounce an ezosd about 1.7 ounces my vtx and wires camara ect. About 2 ounces and a DL reciver about 1.5 ounces with antenna but I'm not sure on the servos yet I already bought 2 from hk they are hs82 copies with the same toork and great reviews will those servos be strong enough or any recommendations if I need bigger ones?
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2 View Post
Hey all ima order a reaper next week and it is for fpv ima run a 2.6 ounce motor with 26 ounces of trust on a 7x4 prop at 62 mph prop speed a 2200 or 2560 3cell not sure withch one yet a 30-35 amp speed control at 1 ounce an ezosd about 1.7 ounces my vtx and wires camara ect. About 2 ounces and a DL reciver about 1.5 ounces with antenna but I'm not sure on the servos yet I already bought 2 from hk they are hs82 copies with the same toork and great reviews will those servos be strong enough or any recommendations if I need bigger ones?
I should follow what you get as my build will eventually be a FPV platform. (Once I afford the equipment )
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
I should follow what you get as my build will eventually be a FPV platform. (Once I afford the equipment )
You can my computer charger decided to die so I'm on my itouch so I don't have links but I'm going for a light fast long duration plane probably 20+min I'm Spoield by the 48 min flights on my zephyr but it's fairly slow
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2