HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:01 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
I did the modification of the motor by tapping the shaft out the other side. Now my motor starts to make a squelching sound when its gets close to full throttle. After the squelching starts I turn off the throttle and then slowly run it up again. I run it for a few minutes at a very low idle speed and every few seconds or so the squelching starts and stops. If it goes for more than a couple of seconds I turn the throttle off. After the few minutes of doing this I can run it up close to full throttle again and leave it finishing out the battery without getting the squelching. This is done on a static stand. I have checked the bearings (to the best of my ability) and they seem well lubricated and seated properly. I have tested the timing in on the ESC, low works best. I have also vacuumed out the bell and coil with a high suction powered vacuum. Any suggestions on what might be going on with the motor?
scootty83 is offline Find More Posts by scootty83
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:09 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
Is the bell sliding on the shaft or the prop saver sliding on the shaft?
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
The prop saver, no it's good. As much as I can tell the bell does not slide either. The whole shaft/bell assembly does slightly move a bit in and out of the bearings but the thrust from the prop prevents the shaft from sliding out.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
Is the shaft so far forward the E-clip is too tight against the back bearing?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
No, there is just about a mm or less between the clip and the bearing.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
I tapped the shaft more so that there isn't much of a gap there. The brass washer under the e-clip can move freely, but just. The noise is still there. I'm going to try and make it Wednesday at noon, maybe I'll bring it with me to see if you can diagnose what is wrong with it, if you wouldn't mind helping.
Last edited by scootty83; Apr 12, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Running Parallel Batteries

For those interested, I made this adapter to use for running two lipos in parallel. I saved at least $5 doing it this way. I got the idea the other day when I saw a similar adapter for sale at the local hobby shop for $11. No wires needed. It works great too!

Soldered all the (-) together and all the (+) together. I used a lot of solder to make sure it was strong.

I then used hot glue to insulate around all the solder. After which I put heat shrink tubing around the plugs and pushed it back by the hot glue. Once heat was applied, the tube shrank and fused to the hot glue.

Final product: Two 1350mAh 11.1v 3S batteries (2700mAh, 11.1v, 3S2p) connected to one 60A speed controller.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
hey scootty83 how amazing this is, i have only just finished searching for the exact same thing, and then came across your fabricated job, i am now going to check i have the bits and lots of solder, and i will make myself one, so thanks for saving me a few pounds / bucks
carl
doggit is online now Find More Posts by doggit
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jun 2005
198 Posts
crazy soldering job. I just made my adapter the other night. i used wires though. turned out to be less than 2" long.
PBR600RR is offline Find More Posts by PBR600RR
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:53 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
here is my version, not as neat as yours maybe, but works a treat
carl
doggit is online now Find More Posts by doggit
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
I use a little hot glue for insulation on the plugs like that too.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:36 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
I kind of fixed the motor. I took it apart and looked at both bearings. They both look fine. The one inside the bell is the one that sounds as if it 'might' have grinding in it possibly. I greased it and put it back together and I pushed the shaft back out the side it was originally on. I ran it up and it worked perfectly all the way up to full throttle and back down without any problems. After this, I pushed the shaft back out the other end, tested it, and the noise started almost immediately. Again, I pushed the shaft back to its original position, ran it up, and was perfectly fine again. Dunno whats going on with it. For now I am going to just leave it the way it is and put the prop adapter on the bell instead and use a folding prop I think.

Any more input from the pros would be great. THANKS ALL!
Old May 04, 2010, 10:20 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Well, Lee called it. I bought a Grim Reaper kit from him several months ago to use for combat. When I got the kit he said something about how it would make a great camera platform. First off I want to say the Grim is an awesome combat plane. In the months I used it for combat, it was unstoppable (accept for the time my push rod got ripped off).

Yesterday afternoon it happened. I was sick of the wind stopping me from flying my normal ap/fpv planes so I took out my razor knife and soldering iron and went to work. The Grim now sports a GoPro HD cam and down link. I have an OSD on the way. I was able to test fly right before dusk yesterday. I didn’t bother with wearing FPV glasses I just flew visually to make sure everything was the way it needed to be. I think I’m a little nose heavy but all in all the thing flies like a dream! I recorded the flight but am having issues uploading.
I think this is going to make a great FPV / combat video wing. Pictures and video coming soon.

Components:
Grim Reaper Kit
(From Crash Test Hobby)
2 Turnigy metal gear servos
30 amp SS
Turnigy C3530-1700kv motor
Turnigy 2200mah 11.1v battery
(From Plane Insane RC)

Video Components:
GoPro HD camera
2.4ghz transmitter for downlink
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old May 04, 2010, 02:59 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
How much is the AUW on the plane will all the electronics batteries and cameras? The Grim Reaper can glide well with a load.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; May 04, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old May 05, 2010, 09:24 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I was going to weight it last night but forgot. I did however get the video to upload. Pictures of the setup will be coming soon.
Grim Reaper with GoPro Test Flight (1 min 58 sec)
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk