HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
It is cut, but you have to cut your own slots for your electronics and slots for the spars, but since you plan to use it for FPV, that will allow you to custom fit your gear. Go ahead and spend an extra $6 on a cheap soldering iron. It makes cutting slots for all the accessories easier. I have an Assassin and a Widowmaker also. I use them all for different styles of flying. I too bought this plane mainly for FPV.
Awesome! Luckily I have a cheap soldering iron laying around to use just for that!

Do you use a folding prop? Or use a brake on the esc? Or does the prop actually clear the ground when landing? Could I use scotch clear duct tape to layer over the wing? Thanks
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
The wing comes with laminate to cover it, but you will need a roll of fiber tape for strength in some of the areas. I am going to use a folding prop setup(currently building it as we speak) but if you use a standard prop, leave the brake off so that it rotates out of the way when it lands. The prop does not clear the ground and is the reason for using a prop saver with these planes.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
The wing comes with laminate to cover it, but you will need a roll of fiber tape for strength in some of the areas. I am going to use a folding prop setup(currently building it as we speak) but if you use a standard prop, leave the brake off so that it rotates out of the way when it lands. The prop does not clear the ground and is the reason for using a prop saver with these planes.
Ah I see now. Brakes are mostly used for sail planes right? Link to this fiber tape? Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch%C2%AE-E...8009256&sr=8-1
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Thanks! I want moar vids!

Also I only have a regular iron. I wonder if I can use that for the laminate? If not I have a air driven vaporizer that can blow hot air up to 500 degrees. Think I can get away with that bad boy?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I used a regular clothing iron. A little inconvienient for its size, but worked fine for laminate.

I used a setting just below where steam would start, silk I believe. You do not want alot of heat, because it will deform the foam.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Same as wheelspinner, just a regular iron. Practice on a piece of scrap elevon to get the right setting or one that you are comfortable with. I believe someone else talked about using a heat gun before and had some luck with it, but I can't remember which thread it was in.....
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Thank you both. Can't wait to start on this
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:47 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Ryan's site~~
http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=267
and the CTH site have good info on building a Reaper and stuff needed.~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
Ryan's site~~
http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=267
and the CTH site have good info on building a Reaper and stuff needed.~~~H
I'm sorry what CTH site?

Edit:

Nevermind. Crash test hobby
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Anyone built their reaper without using the top Formica square. I have wrecked the Assassin hard enough to bend the motor mount 45 degrees and the Formica never budged. I am not using the Reaper for combat, just wondering if anyone else only used the bottom plate without the top?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
This thread doesn't seem to be too popular. I don't see too many FPV videos as well. I think I saw them all lol. I still think this will be a fun wing. Can I do the "wing it" launch with this platform?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Anyone built their reaper without using the top Formica square. I have wrecked the Assassin hard enough to bend the motor mount 45 degrees and the Formica never budged. I am not using the Reaper for combat, just wondering if anyone else only used the bottom plate without the top?
Bueller....Bueller???
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,332 Posts
I launch the Reapers from a wingtip like I do the Assassin and Widowmaker. Once you have done it a couple of times it is no big deal.

Most of the customers don't post on the threads. We have at least 3 clubs that fly Reapers for combat and many individuals that are enjoying the plane. In this video most of the planes flying are Reapers.

LImbo UnCivil War 4-11 (5 min 37 sec)

I launch the Reaper the same way I launch the Widowmaker in this video.

Widowmaker at Squaw Peak (music) 6-10-11 (6 min 50 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Sweet deal. Can't wait for that paycheck this week. Hopefully hobby king gets motors in stock soon :|