HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:05 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,409 Posts
Hi Lee,
We were talking about replacement/upgrade parts for the dx6i the other day.
I can't remember who was asking about them but here are the links for the aluminum replacement trim tabs and roller wheel.

http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...42086050.16410

http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...42086050.16410
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:57 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
i just thought i would give you an update on my progress of my GR fpv, i have almost got it finished, i have cut out a square for putting my EZosd and chainlink uhf Rx, i have added a coroplast lid, and all wires have been put into slits in the foam, my video tx is along the wing, i only have to tidy up the wires in the box, cut out the lipo bays, and mount my camera, then will cover with tape, i will add more pics when i have completed it
carl

update
well apart from fixing the tips on the wing ends, and mounting the video inverted vee antenna its all done, then next will get to maiden, fingers crossed this weekend
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Last edited by doggit; Jun 02, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:45 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Dude, please tell me you didn't cover the entire wing with masking tape?! What's the auw of that thing? I'd recommend not using those rubber bands to hold the batteries in, unless you want it to rain lipos! Maybe you could use some of that tape for the maiden. That's if you have any left
IsaacW is offline Find More Posts by IsaacW
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:14 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
Dude, please tell me you didn't cover the entire wing with masking tape?! What's the auw of that thing? I'd recommend not using those rubber bands to hold the batteries in, unless you want it to rain lipos! Maybe you could use some of that tape for the maiden. That's if you have any left
Looks to me more like duct tape..... been there done that, too heavy and has no strength, tears way to easily like it designed too.
HydroThief is offline Find More Posts by HydroThief
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:47 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Yea, duct tape was what I mean't. It looks like you've put laminate under the tape so doggit I suggest you fly it with the tape, then pull it all off and fly it again just so you can appreciate the weight savings
IsaacW is offline Find More Posts by IsaacW
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
thanks guys, i did the bad thing didnt really notice the weight until i picked it up, and thought oh s**t, am not going to maiden this elephant with the tape on, today after work i plan on stripping all that tape off, and see how she flies naked
carl
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
I have flown many planes that were built so heavy that it greatly reduced performance and increased accidental snap rolls and stalls. You want your weigh in the low 30-36 oz range. Lighter planes have less mass and inertia and actually do better in an accident. Adding weight doesn't always add survivability.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
well i have now stripped off the tape, but have left it on the elevons, and now attached the inverted Vee video antenna, and put a counter balnce on the other wing to match the weight of the video tx, but not got it in the 30 -36 oz i have an AUW of 40 oz, but hoping this wont be too much of an issue though
carl
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:47 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
i have an AUW of 40 oz
Doggit, get rid of all of the gray duct tape in my opinion. 1" strip wide extreme tape top and bottom is all that is needed for the hinge. Not necessary to go all the way back and cover the entire elevon.

Is that extreme tape on the nose? or is it white duct tape? Anyway, a little late for suggestions like this, but if you are already heavy, think about using the things that are already on it, that have function, to counter the off center weight of the antenna.? as opposed to adding weight which only functions as weight.

Is there a way to move that component maybe its the video tx on the right wing? I dont know anything about FPV sorry, but move that more toward the center, and make the wires longer? So that the weight offset is not so bad.

The battery pocketts are already cut, but maybe you saved the foam from them and can move them off center to offset antenna weight.?? Since they are so heavy, they would not have to move much.
Take all the zip ties, or cable ties off of the antennai, and replace with either scotch gift tape(purple package) or 1/4" wide small pices of extreme tape. (every gram counts at this point)

Replace the coroplast hatch cover with single layer plastic 3 ring binder report cover material.

If you can handle a soldering iron, shorten the nest of extra wires that are bundled in front of the motor, wire is heavy (relatively speaking).

You of course don't have to do any of these things, but you mentioned weight as an issue, so I thought I would offer. (not intended as a scare tactic eh hem)

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:59 PM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
72 Posts
Carl,
Don't go weight saving crazy, it never ends.Just go fly it and have some fun!

Lee,
Is a bigger Grim Reaper going to happen? If not how does the maxi swift handle with heavy loads compared to the current GR at 2kg+
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:32 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroThief View Post
Carl,
Don't go weight saving crazy, it never ends.Just go fly it and have some fun!

Lee,
Is a bigger Grim Reaper going to happen? If not how does the maxi swift handle with heavy loads compared to the current GR at 2kg+
I haven't flown the Maxi Swift. I hear it is a good plane. I have flown the smaller version. Our construction methods make our planes a lot stronger. Our planes cost significantly less.

The Reaper will still fly if it's heavy but only if the CG is right or even a little ahead of the CG if the plane is over weight.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:07 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I haven't flown the Maxi Swift. I hear it is a good plane. I have flown the smaller version. Our construction methods make our planes a lot stronger. Our planes cost significantly less.

The Reaper will still fly if it's heavy but only if the CG is right or even a little ahead of the CG if the plane is over weight.
Yes i know your planes are well built and are good value that's why I'm hanging around waiting for you to up-size this one

Could you please tell me what the root and tip chord of the grim reaper is not including control surfaces ?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:20 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Could you please tell me what the root and tip chord of the grim reaper is not including control surfaces ?
root is 12" tip is welll 5" or so mine is cut down to 50" span. so the tip dimension is an estimate. Without control surface.

P
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jun 05, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:25 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
For 112$ it better come with a motor.!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:26 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
The airbrush job makes it hit harder I hear.!!!!