HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:31 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
The Reaper needs the weight up front so you may as well add it in batteries rather than in cold heartless lead. I'm using 2 of the 1300 Turnigy 30C 3S batteries and it balances on CG and flies great and has long flight times and comes down with cool batteries.

A heavier plane penetrates better and overcomes some of the drag with muscle rather than slowing down like a feather. It needs forward motion to create lift. It needs penetration to get the forward motion and the needed air over the airfoil. I wouldn't expect to have unlimited vertical like I do with the Assassin and the Titan but the Reaper flies great and soars like a hawk. It amazes me how long I can glide with this plane in dead air.

I'm looking at this plane as a great camera platform.

Here is a link to my "How to permanently destroy a motor and get the shaft out the other end". I do it to all my big motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=6
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:23 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
I have flown the Reaper on an 8X4 prop at 400 watts. Though the motor was not rated at that I was very cautious. The Reaper like the low end grunt of the bigger prop.

Scooty 83, if you are going to use that bigger motor at almost 4 ounces you will have to carefully gauge where the battery is going to be. You may even have to move the spars back so the battery can be installed on the front side of the spars. My 2200mah battery is butted right up against the spars with the smaller TR 35-30 motor and I still need "heartless lead" to balance. At the same time I have smaller sweep than the later Reapers.

I would keep that motor at no more than 400 watts and I would recommend a 60 amp speed control to keep everyone happy and cool running. The numbers on that motor are TR-35-36A. The 36A means 36 amps. Not 50 amps. I say this in all my most humble opinion. I have smoked too many motors and ESC's to think I can get more from a motor than what it is rated.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Mar 19, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I just got my tax return today.... do you know what time it is?!!!

I knew I should have placed the spars either more forward or more aft.... any suggestions on how to move them without ruining the wing much? or should I just leave them as they are?...
scootty83 is offline Find More Posts by scootty83
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Decals on EPP

So, I have been trying different ways to put designs on to the planes. I first tried markers. If you look closely at the pic with the bars of colors you will see the results.

The really bright colors on the left (blue through silver) were colored directly on to the laminate. So far, it seems pretty durable. But I don't know how long it would last on a combat plane. The top of the first silver column is missing due to the tape test. Every color passed, except the silver. It is more like a paint than ink from a marker. On the lower left of the pic, you will see some air bubbles. I tested to see if the laminate would laminate itself to the colored on laminate. It stays stuck for the most part. No real need to do it, but I tested it anyway.

On the right side of the pic, you will see darker colors on the top and faded colors on the bottom. I colored the EPP itself on both upper and lower sections. The top half, however, is also colored on the laminate. The laminate sticks better to non-colored EPP, but it still sticks. If the laminate was wrapped all the way around, like on a wing, it will stay stuck to the laminate.

I did try coloring on the back side of the laminate. It does not work at all....

I used Sharpie brand permanent markers. If you do this, be sure the laminate is CLEAN, other wise it won't color on quite so nicely. The marker will gunk up and put streaks everywhere. The silver is Sharpie brand as well, but like I said, it is more like a paint. It goes on the EPP really well, but its the same story with the laminate on the permanent marker colored EPP. I recommend using the chisel type tipped markers for large areas, and the fine point for detail. I might do this to one of my new wings, but haven't decided yet due to the results of the next designing idea...

Freezer paper!

Have any of you printed a design onto freezer paper and then ironed it to a shirt? I just did that, but to EPP! I printed some test pics on to the freezer paper and cut them out and ironed them to the EPP. I then ironed on the laminate. The results are AWESOME! I will probably do this to the Reaper, after I have photo shopped some pics. Its going to be sweet.

First thing, I bought Tailor brand "Ink Jet Printable Freezer Paper" from WalMart in the arts and crafts section for $6. It is only 10 sheets. But I read that regular freezer paper can be used if cut down to size (11"x8.5"). Print the image on the dull side of the paper, NOT the shiny. Cut the image out and place the SHINY side down where you want it on the EPP. Heat the iron somewhere between 3-4. I use a Hangar9 Heat Sealing Iron. Start from the center and work your way out to the edges. Press down a little, but not too much. The iron at that heat setting can melt the EPP and warp the wing. Next, cut the laminate to size and apply as normal. I think this will be a great way to do custom decals (Grim Reaper themes?...) and graphics for cheap. And they'll last. If you can, use waterproof ink to prevent any moisture build up and smearing.

You can even do a combo of both... hand draw your design with marker on to the freezer paper...

Happy Designing!
Last edited by scootty83; Mar 19, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootty83 View Post
Thanks for all the input! I just got my tax return today.... do you know what time it is?!!!

I knew I should have placed the spars either more forward or more aft.... any suggestions on how to move them without ruining the wing much? or should I just leave them as they are?...
Leave them. Don't cut up a new plane
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
I spent the morning in combat with 12+ planes up in combat. We had some spectacular hits and some bumps and tickles.

The Titans and Reapers are flying great. We had about 4 of each up in the battles. I don't see that one has an advantage over the other but they do fly differently. If you want SIZZLE I think the Titan has the slight advantage and if you want GLIDE the Reaper is amazing although the Titan is gliding well too.

I have the throws so high on my Reaper I can hard snap roll and flat spin it. I was in a flat spin and the breeze nearly dropped me on the heads of some other flyers. Luckily I kept calm and didn't hit the throttle and they stepped back so no harm was done.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:18 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Here is the first Grim Reaper video. I'm still playing with fin variations that are shown here.

Grim Reaper with angled small fins 3-10 (5 min 37 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:34 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
I got most of my stuff I ordered for the Reaper today. So excited! However... I tried doing the "How to permanently destroy a motor and get the shaft out the other end" modification to my motor... I can't get the shaft to budge. I removed the clip and the small hex screw and tried to very gently tap the shaft out. Nothing. So I tapped a little harder. Still nothing. I then put it in a vise to try and get it started... and still nothing! I wasn't blocking the shaft on the other side either. Any suggestions?...
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:24 AM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I found tapping it gently doesn't do it. You've really gotta pound it out. But gently pound it. Hard.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:59 PM
USA, NY, Shirley
Joined Sep 2007
663 Posts
rdbell,
That's what I did too. Gently, carefully, methodically wail on it! Rotten little bugger was pressed in nicely at the factory, it didn't want to budge.
paulski is offline Find More Posts by paulski
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:15 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Sweet, thanks again. I did all that and have successfully pushed the shaft through the other side. Now I am testing the motor to make sure it is running smoothly.... it's not. Sometimes when I apply throttle its a nice smooth humming sound like a motor is supposed to sound like. Other times a screeching sound starts either right when I apply throttle or a few seconds after. I checked the timing and start up of the throttle and I put silicone spray around the bearings. Any more suggestions?...
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
fins?

Lee,

What do you cut the fins out of? I would like to add them. I built an early Grim Reaper (without fins) and flew it for the first time yesterday. It felt a little tail heavy, although the CG with battery is 9.5" back from the nose, and then the ESC started to cut out (too big a prop for my motor/ESC setup, I think). Nonetheless, these wings are a lot of fun!
Westport is offline Find More Posts by Westport
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
I like the all plastic covers off of the 3 ring binders you can buy at office supply stores. Some are heavier than others.

This is a small Assassin or Scythe sized fin but you get the idea.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
Grim Reaper - build log (sort of)

I tried to keep some notes as I built my Grim Reaper, but got too excited about flying it as the build progressed and my notes were taken farther and farther apart...

Left wing: 2.9 oz
Right wing: 3.0 oz
Glued wing (both halves, no elevons yet): 6.0 oz
Glued wing with first attempt at carbon reinforcement: 6.3 oz
Glued wing with tips cut off: 6.9 oz (can't remember what I did between this step and the previous one)
w/string, but before glue: 6.9 oz
w/string and CA on the string: 7.3 oz
w/two laminate motor plates: 8 oz
w/second set of carbon spars: 9.7 oz
w/bi-directional strapping tape: 11.9 oz
motor mount + motor (2212/17) + 4mm prop adapter: 4.1 oz
finished wing w/laminate, motor, electronics, battery, prop, etc: 34 oz

I used the CG calculator on the utahflyers.org website and put in all my measurements and came out with a CG close to 7.5" back from the nose. But I balanced the Grim Reaper with the recommended 9.5" back from the nose and took the maiden flight. It was pretty exciting; probably I should have been a little more nose-heavy for my skill level, but I haven't tested out that theory yet. I did manage to fly it without crashing, but it was a close call for me.
Westport is offline Find More Posts by Westport
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:41 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Great looking plane. Thanks for the pictures.

Lee