Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2011, 10:00 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I might have the opportunity to do some actual slope soaring this summer. Does the suggested CG change if one removes motor and bracket, and uses a smaller 2s battery to power just the elevons and rx?

For clarity, I know the actual CG will change physically, what I mean is, the one that I have now for powered flying, is where I want to end up after removing motor?? Or is a slope soar set-up best more nose heavy or tail heavy for best performance.??

I figure the motor/bracket will be 80 to 100 grams or so, and changing from 2200 3s to a 850 2s will loose about 80 to 90 grams.... but the weight loss from the back is closer to the fulcrum than the same weight from the front. Any thoughts anyone??

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 11:26 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I might have the opportunity to do some actual slope soaring this summer. Does the suggested CG change if one removes motor and bracket, and uses a smaller 2s battery to power just the elevons and rx?

For clarity, I know the actual CG will change physically, what I mean is, the one that I have now for powered flying, is where I want to end up after removing motor?? Or is a slope soar set-up best more nose heavy or tail heavy for best performance.??

I figure the motor/bracket will be 80 to 100 grams or so, and changing from 2200 3s to a 850 2s will loose about 80 to 90 grams.... but the weight loss from the back is closer to the fulcrum than the same weight from the front. Any thoughts anyone??

Pat
Keep your CG the same place as it is if you decide to pull the motor off. Lately I just launch the plane, motor and all and not use the motor unless I need too. I know it is lazy but I have launched when no one else would with both light winds and near hurricane winds. The Reaper is different than some gliders. It wants to keep moving. Some planes just hang there...the Reaper will fly best if it is running the ridges.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
oops
Last edited by Lee; May 17, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 04:33 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
how good of a fpv plane is the reaper? Im going either with the reaper or a zypher. im inclline to pick this becuse of the price. but can in carry the same load as a zypher? to 4s3300 gopro, osd,etc?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old May 19, 2011, 07:46 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
how good of a fpv plane is the reaper? Im going either with the reaper or a zypher. im inclline to pick this becuse of the price. but can in carry the same load as a zypher? to 4s3300 gopro, osd,etc?
The Reaper can carry a fair amount of weight. The price is good. The Reaper is very efficient and can glide well. You can get great performance out of a smaller motor so you can get away with a smaller battery all of which may cost less money and are lighter which improves the flying more.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
I have a gopro and 2200mah 11.1v on mine that I fly during combat. I don’t have an osd or video TX on it right now. In the past I have flown it FPV but that was with a board cam and 2200mah 11.1v and it flew great. I’m sure you could get away with adding more weight but how much I don’t know. Maybe when my new Dragon OSD gets here I’ll throw it on but then I only have 1 combat wing. Sounds like I need another Reaper!
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old May 19, 2011, 01:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
I just found the older model of the GOPRO at Bestbuy for $150 but after buying it found it has a fisheye lens and returned it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...era&cp=1&lp=11.

So I went back and got the 1080. It is on sale for $239.

Here is the 1080 version to compare.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...-1289-1727-0-2

Lee
Last edited by Lee; May 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
I personally dont like to use 960. It makes everything too fisheyed. All the stuff I do is in 1080.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old May 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The Reaper can carry a fair amount of weight. The price is good. The Reaper is very efficient and can glide well. You can get great performance out of a smaller motor so you can get away with a smaller battery all of which may cost less money and are lighter which improves the flying more.
what power system would you recommend for fpv?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old May 19, 2011, 10:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
I returned the 960 and got the 1080. Ryan is right!!!! The 960 has a serious fish eye lens that I didn't like.

The 1080 is also on sale for $239 which is still the best deal on that camera I have seen from a major retailer.

I would use the 3530-1700. It is a good motor on this plane. Batteries depend on the range you want to have and the camera gear you want to carry.

Lee
Old May 20, 2011, 08:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,926 Posts
Has anyone tried these motors from Hobbypartz?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma15-2220-1880kv.html

360 W 1880 kv may be a little hotter with the 7x6 prop

Her are a couple more. Look at the 75M35 and 75M55 both with 1800 kv.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m55-opti...-1800kv-2.html
Last edited by Lee; May 20, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
well i just recieved one of those RC Timer A-3530/8 motors and i am assuming i have to push the shaft the opposite way, is that right ?, and also just got word from the delivery company that my parcel is to be delivered on tuesday , so want to get the motor ready, so if the shaft need moving then i will do it tonight
carl

ps i just done the shaft and it was a doddle, so now my motor is all ready for its new home on my reaper, here are a couple of pics of the finished motor
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Last edited by doggit; May 20, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
If this was covered already, I missed it... Doggit, is there an extra groove cut near the end of the shaft to replace the clip once moved?

And what is the Yank translation for Doddle?? Simple or difficult?

Pat
Old May 21, 2011, 01:14 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
hi pat, yeah doddle means easy , and the shaft has the groove on the end so once you push it down you just attach the clip onto the groove, and i might grind a small flat spot onto the shaft so the prop saver screw has a good flat surface to grip onto instead of a round shaft
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old May 21, 2011, 06:29 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks doggit.

You guys are not gonna believe this... combat with my brother a few hours ago, hard head on impact. Lost control, I cut throttle, then realized that I was still high enough to try and dig it out... Punched the throttle, HIT THE GROUND bounced up still on the throttle, and continued the flight! I wish I had the hat cam, but the cam was ON THE PLANE!! video to follow, it takes a while to edit, and upload and convert. But here is a screen cap just before impact.

Then, moments later, decided to set it down quick to congradulate and check for damage, on approach to turn into the wind, we hit again, and my GR hits the ground with the camera pointing at the spot where his Titan hits the ground a second later... Its really cool.

Had a blast today, really nice weather compared to the constant rain we have had. A little windy, but no problem for the big wings.!

Pat