Joined Sep 2009
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
I think there were 40 pilots last year
There have been some where there were as many as 70-
Even if your plane isn't ready it might be worth a visit-
Nothing like experiencing it in person
As much as I hate agreeing with a rebel, jpn is right, You should at least stop by, regardless.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
I have looked into using gyros on elevons and it can be done without a mixer. Have a look at this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115350

Using them this way you'll be able to use your radio for mixing and use differential etc, and they'll be stablising the roll and pitch
IsaacW is offline Find More Posts by IsaacW
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
dec03001 - you can use these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6755, only $18

Or these ones I think are rate gyros too http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4320, they would work a little better possibly...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
i'd imagine the more swept wing would be less stable in the roll due to decreased wingspan. But how does it affect slow speed handling and stall chacteristics?
Isaac, when you get a chance go back a couple pgs and look at my videos. I have a 55" reaper that I cut down to 50". It is so stable in roll, at both high and low speed that there is nothing a gyro would do for it. Unless the wind is 30+ maybe then it would be more stable in roll axis when you are trying to stay straight, not sure, I don't know how the gyro works. . But anyway, I don't think, with 4 batteries experience on the reaper, that I would have been able to put it through a 72"x72" lacrosse goal if it were not stable like on wires at low speed.! At high speeds, the roll rate is phenominal, way better than I expected it to be.

My brother and I engaged in combat for the first time tonight, I lent him the use of my assassin while his Titan is on its way, so that he could get used to it. He has picked it up very well, and is getting more and more comfortable with it every battery.

The manuvering I was doing with the reaper to close the gap and correct heading to intercept him was absolutely incredible. I did'nt even realize that a big wing would move and stop and turn on a dime like this does. It was strange that I never USED it like that before because I wasnt CHASING anyone before.!

We flew through 4 batteries, and only made contact 3 times! 2 of those we have on video. So I hope to be posting some later. The first one I hit him out on the tip of the wing and rolled him 360 and continued. The second one took him down hard, and you can see it (my assassin) bounce off the ground about 5 ft high.! What a hoot.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:33 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Vid is up. Of course, this will be very lame in a couple days when the uncivil war stuff is posted.

oh well, still fun, Isaac, there is a quick demo of low and high speed stability on the tighter sweep late model reaper, I did cut it down to 50" though. Its rock solid stable, and very nimble.

Untitled (3 min 49 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Vid is up. Of course, this will be very lame in a couple days when the uncivil war stuff is posted.

oh well, still fun, Isaac, there is a quick demo of low and high speed stability on the tighter sweep late model reaper, I did cut it down to 50" though. Its rock solid stable, and very nimble.

http://vimeo.com/22731105
Now your addicted. It's hard to get rid of the smile. Your going to need therapy!!!!

Our combat looks more like formation flying. We try to stay together even in the turns and stay close rather than taking power strikes from a distance. There isn't really a leader but everyone gets used to the circling patten and turns after a while. If the group is big designate a leader by putting a streamer on one plane and everyone follows his lead. Using this method some flyers will get 20+ hits a day.

I could see you have a lot of throw on the elevons. It is easier if the planes aren't too touchy on the sticks. Some of our flyers have even more movement in the elevons than you do but if the plane over reacts it is hard to stay close and to maintain a constant speed and you get more yaw.

I tune my planes to be less responsive for combat and more for aerobatics and solo flying.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,435 Posts
Lee, Thanks for all the help this winter on my FPV Reaper. I am going to get back into finishing it up in the next week or so. I really wouldn't have been able to fly it anyway so far, as the weather on the East Coast has been horrendous. Rain forecast again for today, tomorrow and Sunday. Between rain and high winds, we have lost almost all of Spring so far. Flooding has been a big problem as well. I have been burried building a bunch of new wings and fuselages for SSC. I switched over building my SSC combat wings with the laminate technique you use and I am having great success so far. I am not using a leading edge, and they barely get damaged in full head on collisions. I switched to the Fencepost style fuselage design that we heavily modified. The reliability of my SSC planes has greatly increased and it is showing in my performance. I currently have the highest actual average in the country after finishing 4th last year. Thanks again for all the help and I hope you guys are having a blast with your electric wing combat! I hope to post some cool HD videos from the FPV Reaper in the next month especially since I have a Dragon Link in it.
cherokee180c is online now Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
We try to stay together even in the turns
Quote:
I could see you have a lot of throw on the elevons.
You know I was sort of bragging about how quick it would turn, then silently wishing I didnt have to play catch up all the time. Of course, thinking about it for a moment, you are, as usual, correct and I proved it. The sharper I turn, the more speed I loose....
DUH! It is cool to see it turn on a dime for its size, but then you have to use a lot of energy to catch whomever turned with a bigger radius and maintained their speed...

Plus, add to that, mike was flying was flying my assassin, which is 19 oz, and mine is 28oz. He wisely flys really slow, so this makes it more of a challenge for my manuvering, and it was easy to shoot by him if I kept speed at quick manuvering rate.

The more you fly the more you learn. I will go now, and program the closest switch for dual rates.

Thanks Lee.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,363 Posts
Hey Patrick- most of our combat is flown with half throttle or gliding. When there are only two planes what we end up doing is flying in a slow oval. The pilot in back always trying to hit the guy in front- he misses- the guy now in back hits the throttle and tries to hit him. Works out pretty well. We often get plenty of hits even with two planes using this method.
This method even works out pretty well in a swarm. Just two pilots one on one and the swarm all around them adding to the mayhem. Having one plane to focus on is really effective. That's why having a plane with a streamer or a target plane is so much fun
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
Hi wheelspinner, thanks for your comments, I really liked the limbo video. I love doing that with my assassin, except with a larger goal and at full throttle . Unfortunately I don't have anyone to combat with so I just have to make my own fun . About the reaper stablility, well it has great stability for flying normally (and FPV of course ), but in FPV the camera picks up a lot more yaw, pitch, roll movement etc than you can see from on the ground. That is where the gyros help to smooth things out to make for better viewing and of course as you said in the wind also. You can notice a bit of roll/yaw instability in the video which doesn't affect normal LOS flying but you would definately notice with a camera on the plane. I think about 38sec, after the turn you see some wobbling and also at 1:12 you can notice it. Obviously you wouldn't be flying FPV with the rates up this high so you wouldn't experience this much wobbling, I'm just trying to show you how the Gyros help

Lee - I have a question for you (yes another ), which reaper (60" and 55") tends more to being tail-heavy/nose-heavy?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Isaac, explained like that, it makes perfect sense. You do see motion alot more from the video viewers perspective, I have noticed that with all my planes when watching keycam vid.

If you intended to include a link to a video that you refered to, it did not publish. The best way I have found is upload to youtube or vimeo and then copy and paste that link in the thread post.

Is the 60" Reaper still available.? It's my belief you can make any wing or plane nose or tail heavy based on construction and where you place add on stuff. When you build it following manufactures instruction, and keep the power specs relatively close, its usually close enough.

pat
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
. You can notice a bit of roll/yaw instability in the video which doesn't affect normal LOS flying but you would definately notice with a camera on the plane.

Lee - I have a question for you (yes another ), which reaper (60" and 55") tends more to being tail-heavy/nose-heavy?
If you want to decrease the yaw, fly faster, have bigger rudders, decrease the throws on the elevons, don't slow down or stall in corners, and toe the rudders in more. I can make most wings yaw by the way I do my turns and exit rolls. Stalling planes tend to yaw. The pilot often has a lot to do with the amount of yaw you see in flight.

Nose heavy and tail heavy has a lot to do with the way you build the plane.

Titans have the motor on the CG but (the elevons are entirely behind the CG) and are easy balance. They are the first plane I have ever built significantly nose heavy without trying.

Reapers have the motor and all of the elevons farther behind the CG so they are easy to get tail heavy. Watch out for added tail weight that will increase if you get carried away on extreme tape reinforcement and holographic tape on the elevons.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 01, 2011, 02:03 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,363 Posts
Reaper gets busted in half- and lives...

Reaper gets busted in half-
If you need convincing about the durability and repairability of these planes just watch this video. Jake's Reaper gets taken out in the first few minutes of the sWARm. I saw at least one other of these planes broken in half during the limbo competition- He was back in the air within a few minutes too
Note: This is not the first time this Reaper has been broken in half. Some hot glue and Extreme tape and this plane was back into action before lunch!
Also note. That bone crushing hit was delivered by an ExtremeWing doing 100mph or better passes through the middle of the swarm.
Look for the hit at 0:57 but if you miss it, just keep going- it's repeated several times in the video
sWARm April 2011 Episode 1 (10 min 21 sec)
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 01, 2011, 05:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Amazing video! Man, I wish there was a combat club around here...
HC
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild