HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:06 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
lee, my left elevon after i attached i notice that at the bevel, it is 2 mm thicker than t.e. of wing. since its flush at top the way i taped it it hangs down ....is this gonna cause drag on that side because the right side matches up nicely.?

i will send pics later if needed im at work.

pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
It doesn't affect the flying. Try it if there is a problem we will exchange it.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:29 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
ok no problem. i will leave the laminate off ofthat hinge untill i test it out. the assassin is a little uneven because of the way i taped it... i ccant tell.

p
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:23 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
It's not difficult to make an adjustment to the foam on the elevons.

Lay the elevons flat on a table behind the wing. The angle of the elevons should blend in well with the wing with the front of the elevon the same size or slightly smaller than the trailing edge of the wing. If they don't, you can heat your iron hot enough that it will barely melt the foam and use several strokes to thin the front of the bottom of the elevon until they blend well together. Don't try to do the whole elevon, just the front. Don't distort the trailing edge of the elevon by ironing it too.

Also .... We started cutting the beveled angle bigger on the elevons so that they wouldn't bind up when going down and could go down farther. This creates a bigger cut area on the bevel that sometimes will hang below the wing when the elevon is down but does not affect the flying or function of the elevons.

Both of these are more cosmetic than functional and hardly affect the flying of the plane.

Did I answer your question?

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Apr 07, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:57 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Did I answer your question?
Of course, as always. Thanks. The first response was good enough for me as I knew that you would take care of it if it doesnt work like it should. I have to admit, I often come up with needless details to worry about.

About heating it, that would have to be done on the bare foam right? Mine is already e-taped and laminated.

My first reply was from my mobile, so messy and mispelled. It should read, I can't tell that it flys unlike it should. (assassin)

P
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:10 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
The way I learned this was when I got the iron too hot when I was applying the laminate and reshaped a wing. The most common customer problem is the iron is too hot and it thins or distorts the wing cores. often they don't even know it.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:50 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Maiden report. WOW. that was a lot of fun. It was finless. I tried an 1800 mah first because I already had one on hand. it was 147 grams. So this put my AUW at 27.30 OZ.!! I was really pleased with that number.

It's cut down to 50", drilled motor mount and radiused to fit motor with no extra to reduce weight 20%. I used 1" extreme tape for the spar covers. 1.25" for the cross tape of formica plate. And I omitted the upper formica plate for now. I used 2 nylon .25" screws, with nuts and large washers to distribute pinch force for motor mount.

I did not use fins for my 2 flights this evening. I will be trying various methods as the yaw is significant with any deceleration or basically anytime the elevons go from significant travel, to straight. Not that it makes it fall out of the sky or anything, its just not "clean and controlled" looking. Of course Lee has already stated this so no surprise here.

The acceleration was very unexpected, when cruising at 3/8ths throttle then hit 100% it launches. Verticle was impressive, I did not go verticle too high altitude as i'm trying out a small size rx that I did not do any long range tests on yet.

Roll rate was really surprising, even though I still have the elevon travel set a little too high, I will probably try moving links down to middle on the horns. But the roll rate was scary fast for the span that it has.! It loops in what looks like a 8-10ft diameter circle,

Glide is exactly as others have described. REALLY LONG. Remember, I am used to high angle dropping my assassin down like a carrier landing.! It took 3 tries to keep it within walking distance, I had some big puddles to deal with so it did really needed to be pretty close to me.!

The 2200mah batts that I picked up on my way home are a little over 1 oz heavier than the 1800 I first tried. So this should make my AUW around 28.4 oz. Still pretty good.

Thanks again Lee, can't wait to make some contact.

Pat
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Apr 10, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:18 AM
Casstown, Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
45 Posts
Wondering how the CG turned out with the 1800mah batteries? I measured the CG on mine 10-1/2" back from from the point on the nose of the plane and I'm still tail heavy? I'm using the HK 3530-1700 Kv motor & 7x6 prop and HK Zippy 2200mah battery with the edge of the battery corners almost touching the front spars. I have not flown it yet as I still waiting for a couple of items. Wondering what others are seeing on CG with similar set-up's.
Tailwind1 is offline Find More Posts by Tailwind1
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:44 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
Wheelspinner20- Congrats on such a light frame. 28.4oz is impressive. I am at 61.2oz but plan on loosing some weight at SEFF with a lighter motor. Currently at little over 100mph but will fix that problem soon.
Tailwind1- 10-1/2" back is acceptable and what most are at now. From 9-1/2" to 10-1/2" I found acceptable.
postalflyer72 is offline Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Tailwind, the 1800 was a temporary get it in the air thing. I taped it on, and yes to get the cg to my best measure was 10 3/8" the 1800 was way up there. The 2200 zippy flightmax that I installed ended up about a .25 to .375 behind the fiberglass spars. with the cg in about the same area. this is probably at or near the aft limit. It is very responsive.!

Video coming soon... has an awesome day in 20+ mph winds, which, even though I tried, I could not really safely fly anything else in this wind today.! Still grinning like a child.!

Pat
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:26 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Like Kid Rock says... it aint braggin if you back it up.!

Submitted for you approval with pride.

Lee love the product.

Thanks Mike for the video, appreciate it. I have on-board vid too, just didnt get it edited into this one.

A Bright, Warm Grim day.. Patrick's New Grim Reaper. (2 min 3 sec)
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,393 Posts
One of the best things about the Grim is we will fly them on days that we wouldn't even think of flying our other planes. We have been known to fly combat on days where we can all just park our planes in one spot and almost hover until we hit each other. The Grims are flyable in a 30mph wind and I would guess even more. They have really helped us get a lot more stick time. Looks like you are having fun! I love to see the Grims take abuse
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Like Kid Rock says... it aint braggin if you back it up.!

Submitted for you approval with pride.

Lee love the product.

Thanks Mike for the video, appreciate it. I have on-board vid too, just didnt get it edited into this one.

http://vimeo.com/22215199
I love the limbo and will spend hours trying to either fly through a goal or trying to hit a tumble weed that has blown onto our field. I admit your goal is a smaller goal than we use but I have gone through our goal dozens of times in a row.

Glad to see your technique for launching and catching the plane. Not bad for this size of a plane but you are making it look easy.

If you want to make it a little easier stand so the plane is coming directly at you through the goal with the nose of the plane heading into the wind. (the wind is at your back.) Don't stand to the side. You had the wind right but it is easier if you change the place you are standing.

Adding a little low throttle helps to keep the speed up for more control and it won't drift as much. Do a landing approach and bring her through.

Last Uncivil war I gave away a plane to the first person who flew through inverted. The limbo wire was about 2 feet off the ground.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
and catching the plane. Not bad for this size of a plane but you are making it look easy
Well to be honest, I don't think I will make a habbit of that (hand catch), it is much heavier than the assassin, and I had the advantage of 25mph winds to slow it down a little. I think with normal or no wind, that would be a good way to jamb a finger or otherwise hurt something (sucks getting old.)

Looking back at it, I didnt really try the limbo too much again, so I'm gonna chalk that one up to dumb luck. ! Although if I can do that one a few times, a soccer goal is going to seem huge and easy.

For sure if I had the rescources, I would definately get out there to utah for the un-civil war. Just out of curiousity, do most that come bring spares? At a big event like that, what is the average carnage? It must be handfuls of props and saver rings. Horns, rx's?? A guy asked me the other day, how do you keep score with something like that?? is it honor system for hits, or is it the last one flying or what?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
After the war there are always a few planes that will never be the same. A few prop stabs and broken props are the rule but I personally have never had a plane that never flew again. I usually take about 6 planes to the war. If something breaks I switch planes so I don't loose flying time.

I made the mistake the last couple of years of not spending enough time with the camera in hand. We used to have a photographer who shot some great video from unusual angles. I talked to him this week and he is stuck in Texas. The cameras have to be running to catch the best stuff.