San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
The White Devil

Name: 2010-03-05 08.48.45.jpg
Views: 364
Size: 68.7 KB
Description:

My Reaper. "The White Devil", because I am Jewish and white. Before radio installation.. 1/8" fiberglass rod spars that I had to cut the slots for myself because the manufacturer refuses. Lee will probably not sell me anymore after my comment. It will do battle this weekend with my Titans. Hope to get some video. Who will win?

The weight: foam, spars and 3 mil cover is 17oz. Lee said they weigh 32 oz. finished.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Mar 05, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:06 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
Attachment 3100745

My Reaper. "The White Devil", because I am Jewish and white. Before radio installation. I like the color scheme. 1/8" fiberglass rod spars that I had to cut the slots for myself because the manufacturer refuses. Lee will probably not sell me anymore after my comment. It will do battle this weekend with my Titans. Hope to get some video. Who will win?

The weight: foam, spars and 3 mil cover is 17oz. Lee said they weigh 32 oz. finished.
If it were a big deal I would feel sorry for you. Use the carbon. I can put the flat spars in one of these planes in 15 minutes. You will pay me a lot more for the labor than you will to buy the flat carbon spars.

The motor and batteries are heavy and add up fast.

Your self description made me want to tease you a little but I will bite my tongue, or is that tape my typing fingers.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 05, 2010, 02:25 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Name: 2010-03-05 21.42.45.jpg
Views: 427
Size: 86.9 KB
Description: "Gee Cliff, nice Reaper. Hope you get to fly it soon." oi, oi, oi...

The White Devil came in at 31ozs. Maybe some white zagi tape would look nice.
Last edited by cliffo; Mar 05, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:42 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
Attachment 3102038"Gee Cliff, nice Reaper. Hope you get to fly it soon." oi, oi, oi...

The White Devil came in at 31ozs. Maybe some white zagi tape would look nice.
I was off a whole ounce!!!!! There goes my credibility.
(don't ask my kids if I know what I am talking about either!!)
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
USA, NY, Shirley
Joined Sep 2007
663 Posts
Lee, what is the main difference in flight characteristics between the Titan and the Reaper?
paulski is offline Find More Posts by paulski
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
Lee, what is the main difference in flight characteristics between the Titan and the Reaper?
The Titan is faster and lighter the Reaper has a better glide. Both fly well. The Reaper definitely needs the bigger motor and because of the thinner wing needs fins.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
We have now listed both the Grim Reaper and the Titan at the website with the fiberglass rods.

So far the carbon spars and the fiberglass rods seem to be about the same in strength and weight but the cost is 1/2 as much with the fiberglass rods. The disadvantage with the fiberglass is it is harder to install.

Most of the combat planes manufactured by other manufacturers in the 48"-60" size class are using the fiberglass rods. I'm sure it is because the carbon fiber is so expensive. The 36" carbon fiber rods that we have used in the kits are sold at the local hobby shops for $6.00+ each and the plane needs 6 of them. We get them less than that but they still cost more than people are willing to pay.

We were selling the kits without the spars on the Grim Reaper so that people could find their own spars and try to save some money or use the more traditional wood spars. It was one of the customers who pointed us to the fiberglass rods that may have saved the big kits because the carbon is so expensive.

It amazes me how when we double the wingspan it takes 6x the reinforcement to make the plane strong enough for combat. We had started selling the Titan with 3 carbon spars, increased to 4 spars and finally are building with the 6 spars in the top and bottom 3 spar "A" pattern and it has been working so far.

I haven't seen one built with six glass or carbon spars break yet, but the bigger planes are not going to be indestructible with any system. I'm sure it won't take too long for someone to not install them right or hit something that is solid enough to break the plane.

I hope this is a good explanation. The big kits are fun to fly and should be popular but they come with their own set of problems.

We have now listed both the Grim Reaper and the Titan at the website with the fiberglass rods. This means the Titan has to come in a 36" box so we also lose some of the shipping advantage we had.

We appreciate all of the help we have received from all of the testers.

Lee
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:13 AM
I can't find my marbles.
Dayton, OH
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Is there a performance reason for cutting the last 2"-3" of the wingtip at an agle, or is it just for looks? I have noticed some wing makers do that and some don't, I was just curious is all.
Cap'n Squishy is offline Find More Posts by Cap'n Squishy
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Squishy View Post
Is there a performance reason for cutting the last 2"-3" of the wingtip at an agle, or is it just for looks? I have noticed some wing makers do that and some don't, I was just curious is all.
On the front of the wing it usually is for looks. We were the only ones leaving it flat for rudder like drag.

We were testing the finless designs but it needs the fins. I would suggest you leave it square.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:46 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
I don't want to confuse the audience but my Reaper seemed fine for lateral stability without the fins but with a very rearward CG. Also my sweep is 25 degrees.
The Reaper would make a great AP platform. It does take the bigger motor and has great glide. The bigger motor is the TR 35-30 from HobbyKing http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:46 AM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
How fast is the Grim Reaper with that 1700 motor WOT compared to the Assassin?
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
How fast is the Grim Reaper with that 1700 motor WOT compared to the Assassin?

I think the Titan is faster than the Assassin. Both planes will go straight up with the suggested motors.

The Assassin is still the sports car and the Titan is a little slower in roll due to the wingspan.

The Grim Reaper is not under powered with that motor but won't go straight up like the Titan mostly because of increased weight.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:49 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I think I may go with a Titan and my buddy might get a Grim Reaper... Mostly because I'd rather not have fins lol

We could fly each other's anyway!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
I think I may go with a Titan and my buddy might get a Grim Reaper... Mostly because I'd rather not have fins lol

We could fly each other's anyway!
I may have updated that post after you looked at it.

Both planes are good. The GR will glide and slope better. The Titan has faster acceleration and higher performance.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:56 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Yeah you did. And I'm sure both planes are GREAT! He was looking for a good glider so it'll be perfect for him. I wish pay day would come sooner.