HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:00 PM
Fly like you stole it .
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
Herc Fpv

Here is my second flight on my Herc pusher the end is what happens when your having to much fun. No airplanes hurt in the making of this video.

Hercules (12 min 47 sec)

airibatic is offline Find More Posts by airibatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,994 Posts
This is a comment from another thread but we need to be careful what we are doing. At this time with all of the state and federal attention on FPV and drones, we don't want to make the news.

" Man, it is not going to end well for us if this stuff doesn't stop happening soon:

(CNN) -- Was there a drone flying over Brooklyn Monday afternoon?

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a report from a pilot of an Alitalia passenger jet who says he saw an unmanned aircraft while landing at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York.

"We saw a drone, a drone aircraft," the pilot can be heard telling controllers on radio calls captured by the website LiveATC.net.

"The FAA is investigating a report... he saw a small, unmanned or remote-controlled aircraft while on final approach to Runway 31 Right," according a statement sent to CNN by FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown. "The sighting was approximately four to five miles west of the airport at an altitude of approximately 1,500 feet," she said. "
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,022 Posts
It's a good thing you posted that. A lot of sellers just want to sell but no awareness. Too many videos of people going higher and higher. Rules are simple 400ft ceiling and no closer than 3 miles from an airport. Balloon drops are allowed after submitting a flight plan with HAM liscense required.
postalflyer72 is offline Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,994 Posts
Just be smart about it. It only takes a couple of mistakes to get the news media's attention. There is a lot going on behind the scenes with all drones. Reports of military drones over American cities and the southern boarder with Mexico have state legislators in some states trying to outlaw drones. The legislators are looking for violations and they are easy to find because we tend to post videos showing what we are doing. I heard 8 states are considering some form of legislation regarding drones and privacy. They are sensationalizing it and not representing it fairly but it still is causing some emotion on the nightly news.

My argument is the worst violation is cell phones or even cameras on cars. Almost everyone has a smart phone now days. I could walk into a bank with a cell phone to my ear with the video camera running and no one would say a word while I filmed something important. Most FPV information gives very little information but the US military and others have strategically used the drones as weapons and now they are causing paranoia with the news.

One of our FPV flyers posted a video of low flying over houses in his neighborhood. He was contacted by another FPV flyer and asked to get the video off the internet because it showed his neighbors yards too well. The famous video of someone flying around the Statue of Liberty and New York made national news but not in a good way.

I love the aerial photography but just be careful and look at your work with the idea of what are others thinking when they see it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Fly like you stole it .
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Sep 2004
109 Posts
Lee

Thank you for making me think. I dont want any bad attention to our hobby. I was just having fun and got carried away. I have now sent up My APM and 0SD to give me a visual warning if i ecxeed 400 feet. And thank you for making such a wonderful airplane.
airibatic is offline Find More Posts by airibatic
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,994 Posts
I am as guilty as anyone. We just need to be careful because of the negative publicity. I don't want to have new laws because of what we are doing.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:59 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Of course flying your wing on the approach path of a major airport does not help.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
220 Posts
I finally got my Grim Reaper finished. I built slow and had time to read through this entire thread before finishing. Was still pretty nervous as this was the first time I had to cut/burn foam and laminate anything.

I had been flying Neptune 1200 EDF, PW1200 and PW900 wings so am practiced and comfortable with a sidearm powered launch. The Grim Reaper maiden was pretty uneventful other then having a little more travel then needed (I started with 3/4"). Also I had not filled in the channels in the winglet and was surprised by the wicked sound!

I made some manual trim adjustments, filled the winglet channels and tried it again this morning. This is one fantastic wing! The other wings I mentioned owning topped out at around 70 mph. I ended up using a NTM 28-36 2200kv motor with apc 6x5.5 prop (3S) and am finding that my Reaper is a screamer. So much so that I need an area bigger then my local grass patch to get a good rcspeedo reading on it. I suspect it is pushing 90mph.

It also glides like a dream and really seems to carry speed. Never flown anything like it actually and scared myself pretty good on the first big dive as it was screaming along way faster then expected.

A couple of notes, or my opinion on a couple of things:

- My GR is slightly "bobbly" in the slow and mid speed turns at 10.5" COG. Sure would glide though. I moved it to 10.25" inches back and am finding it tracks like it's on rails at all speeds now. Aerobatics are still very quick and glide is still great.

- I am finding it tough to get to 10.25" COG without adding more weight or bigger batteries then I want. I am using Hitec HS625MG servos and wish that I had mounted them further forward then I did. And this is with a standard weight motor, I haven't even attempted the 35-36 1800kv yet but can tell it is going to take a big battery.

- Standard servos might be overkill on this particular wing. I am still happy that I am using them after doing a big dive though. Any other new builders should be aware that the hole closest to the center of the servo arm is still further out then you will need. I have the end points on my radio at 36% and still have more elevon travel then needed. On the next build I will drill my own hole in the servo horn that is as close to center as I can get.

- I first tried using a 35-30 1400KV motor but found all of the props to be too close to the TE of the wing. I could get a apc 9x6E on but it only cleared by a couple of mm's which made it incredibly noisy. I retreated to the 28-36 2200KV which gave me a lot of room and is actually quieter then expected. The NTM motors are impressing me.

- For other new builders, take care of those laminate scraps or order some extra laminate when you get your kit! I ended up with a hodge podge of scraps when it came time to do the elevons and I think my build suffered just a little because of it. The elevons are fairly critical, next time I going to use nice continuous sheets of laminate on them.

And for anyone interested my all up weight with Turnigy 3S 3300 is 1.28KG and my speed controller is a CC Ice 50.
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Last edited by DavidPDX; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:49 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPDX View Post
I finally got my Grim Reaper finished. I built slow and had time to read through this entire thread before finishing. Was still pretty nervous as this was the first time I had to cut/burn foam and laminate anything..
Great post. I really appreciate all your details. I posted something similar with my Deep Reaper a few weeks ago.

What did you fill the winglet holes with?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:38 PM
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,022 Posts
I wanted to add info to my builds and mods of reapers. some mods were done by hansauf. A few things that I have done and a buddy too. Before you even glue the halves, make a center line on both sides. Use a metal plate of your choice and size to have your thrust angle set from start. Plate should measure about 4"-5" wide, Aluminum is fine. You cut to insert the plate and when ready glue with the wing. Drill holes to use provided bracket and motor actually sits a bit further back than most. After wing dries cut for cf arrow directly in front of plate. Arrow should measure 21.5". Make sure center of arrow is clamped down at bracket point. Also cut even to sink arrow while weighing down wing. Use epoxy for bracket but gorilla glue for arrow, remember to scuff arrow for adhesion. Cf will not stick to hot glue. The average motor used is 35-36 1400kv which does well with a 7x6 prop. A 4s 4000mah or 4500mah balances perfect. It's a good idea to add 1/8" plywood to bottom of tray. Also add straps before gluing for a solid lipo. Lessons learned from cutting too many bays in a straight line results in flex at back. A good techinique used by hansauf on elevons is to glue balsa on top of included foam ones. Cover with extreme tape and laminate. That amount of elevon has allowed me to do this awesome spin on a vertical climb, that only reapers can do. I am having custom made brackets for the reaper to add larger motors while keeping same plate. 25mm x 25mm holes on a 3648 is largest. Sorry for the wrong write up but have been wanting to do it for a while. Some pics of the plate with motor mounted.

Top of mount. You can see the black steel plate.

Bottom of plate with mount

Picture of elevon. Comes out to 2.5". I can actually turn on the spot and punch it the other way.

Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,994 Posts
Excellent feedback.

After all the planes I have built I usually laminate the elevons first out of habit. it is much easier to use smaller pieces on the wing than on the elevon.

Mini servos are OK until you get the speed up then the controls go numb. They just don't have the power to deal with this big of a plane in a dive.

The Reaper is the most popular plane in our club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPDX View Post
I finally got my Grim Reaper finished. I built slow and had time to read through this entire thread before finishing. Was still pretty nervous as this was the first time I had to cut/burn foam and laminate anything.

I had been flying Neptune 1200 EDF, PW1200 and PW900 wings so am practiced and comfortable with a sidearm powered launch. The Grim Reaper maiden was pretty uneventful other then having a little more travel then needed (I started with 3/4"). Also I had not filled in the channels in the winglet and was surprised by the wicked sound!

I made some manual trim adjustments, filled the winglet channels and tried it again this morning. This is one fantastic wing! The other wings I mentioned owning topped out at around 70 mph. I ended up using a NTM 28-36 2200kv motor with apc 6x5.5 prop (3S) and am finding that my Reaper is a screamer. So much so that I need an area bigger then my local grass patch to get a good rcspeedo reading on it. I suspect it is pushing 90mph.

It also glides like a dream and really seems to carry speed. Never flown anything like it actually and scared myself pretty good on the first big dive as it was screaming along way faster then expected.

A couple of notes, or my opinion on a couple of things:

- My GR is slightly "bobbly" in the slow and mid speed turns at 10.5" COG. Sure would glide though. I moved it to 10.25" inches back and am finding it tracks like it's on rails at all speeds now. Aerobatics are still very quick and glide is still great.

- I am finding it tough to get to 10.25" COG without adding more weight or bigger batteries then I want. I am using Hitec HS625MG servos and wish that I had mounted them further forward then I did. And this is with a standard weight motor, I haven't even attempted the 35-36 1800kv yet but can tell it is going to take a big battery.

- Standard servos might be overkill on this particular wing. I am still happy that I am using them after doing a big dive though. Any other new builders should be aware that the hole closest to the center of the servo arm is still further out then you will need. I have the end points on my radio at 36% and still have more elevon travel then needed. On the next build I will drill my own hole in the servo horn that is as close to center as I can get.

- I first tried using a 35-30 1400KV motor but found all of the props to be too close to the TE of the wing. I could get a apc 9x6E on but it only cleared by a couple of mm's which made it incredibly noisy. I retreated to the 28-36 2200KV which gave me a lot of room and is actually quieter then expected. The NTM motors are impressing me.

- For other new builders, take care of those laminate scraps or order some extra laminate when you get your kit! I ended up with a hodge podge of scraps when it came time to do the elevons and I think my build suffered just a little because of it. The elevons are fairly critical, next time I going to use nice continuous sheets of laminate on them.

And for anyone interested my all up weight with Turnigy 3S 3300 is 1.28KG and my speed controller is a CC Ice 50.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Great post. I really appreciate all your details. I posted something similar with my Deep Reaper a few weeks ago.

What did you fill the winglet holes with?
I used hot glue as sparingly as possible to plug the front holes. Not sure if it was the ideal method but it worked.

Ran a few passes with rcspeedo this evening which says my reaper is doing around 90mph. Confirmed that I need cog slightly foward of 10.5" for perfect tracking. Very pleased how quick this thing rolls!
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
sorry if this is a dumb question but do I have the prop adapter assembled right? I left it loose for clarity. I have the washer bewteen the prop and the mount, flat side toward the prop. Or, does the washer go in front of the prop between the prop and the nose-nut.?They make these things with no diagram so we have to mind read how they intended it to go together.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Last edited by rhodesengr; Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:25 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Thats exactly as I have mine, so if yours is wrong then we both are lol.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,022 Posts
The washer is in the right location but upside down. Flip it around and good to go. Never a dumb question anytime. My first wing sounded like it was going to tear a hole in space and open a wormhole. Almost fried the esc but was going about 20mph. Prop was backwards. Look on YouTube for a 9 second funjet. Yes it took 9 seconds to destroy it. So been there done that. Noticed your motor is 1800kv. Are you running it on 4s? What size prop?