HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_gecko View Post
Was out with a couple other wings yesterday... my Grim Reaper always gets responses of "wow, that thing is huge!!" .. most of the local guys fly assassins for combat... I'm just out there to cruise and enjoy the flight... I'm getting 14-15 minute flights per battery

http://youtu.be/gQIfucZmv1I?hd=1
Looks like you're getting it dialed in!
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:05 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
ESC is a Talon 90, motor is that NTN 3536, prop is a real APC 9x6
My details are here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5000

Except I moved up to a 4500 mAh battery which fits the same pocket.
I'm probably going to mimic your power setup, there. Looking at the pics, a thought came to me... From what you're saying it flies just fine, but if you cared about getting it a little smoother and probably a bit quieter, you might taper the trailing edge, top and bottom, where you've cut out for your motor, instead of leaving it a 90 degree cut.

I was really surprised on my first DRXL how much of a difference that made. Mostly a ton quieter, but also a slight, yet just noticeable difference in efficiency.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
From what you're saying it flies just fine, but if you cared about getting it a little smoother and probably a bit quieter, you might taper the trailing edge, top and bottom, where you've cut out for your motor, instead of leaving it a 90 degree cut.

I was really surprised on my first DRXL how much of a difference that made. Mostly a ton quieter, but also a slight, yet just noticeable difference in efficiency.
Not sure what you mean by smotthness. Yes it is a bit noisey at high power. I like your tapering idea. A little hard to implement now that everything is laminated. I think the prop might be too close to the back edge and the prop saver might be adding to the noise. I am going to try a collet prop mount and moving the motor back a little and securing my control rods a little better. If those don't help, I'll try tapering the trailing edge. Thanks for the tip.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:33 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,003 Posts
Grim Reaper FPV Setup

I converted my year old Grim Reaper to a FPV bird (gear removed from my Storm Chaser #2). I cut a 4" x 5" box all the way through the wing. Coroplast inlaid on bottom so it's flush. 2nd Coropolast hot glued on bottom for added strength. Cover taped on leading edge. Getting the CG required some balast under the black tape. Did have more weight but it flew nose heavy even though it balanced at CG. Still need to do a couple more dial in flights before flying it under the goggles.

This is my low level flight FPV gear on the aircraft: 72 mHz Corona RP8D1 with RSSI mod and 1/2 wave length antenna, Skylark Tiny OSD III - simple screen, 3,000 mAh Nano Tech, 500 Mw 900 mHz Tx, low pass filter to a IBCrazy Inverted Vee antenna, PZ0420 camera W/3.6MM lens.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:07 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Looks like a blast. Give me another week and I should be up and flying fpv again.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,003 Posts
E1Allen, Do you have a post of everything you put in your DR XL? Just wondering as I'm in the planning stages of my next aircraft.
1FB
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:05 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Yes, but I believe I am still in the testing phase of my drxl. I found the 3536-1800kv didn't necessarily like the 6.5lbs of wing. So I just got a larger motor... I should get all my parts in this weekend and I'll do another video to see how it goes. I just got all my props to try, a 11x3.8sf, 11x7, and a 10x10. From my previous equipment I just changed motor and esc, everything else is the same. More to come though. Using 1.3g fpv gear. Can pm if you want.

Eric
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:26 PM
France
Joined May 2009
190 Posts
Hi E1Allen,
I am also planning to start FPV soon and would also appreciate if you can give some details of your FPV items.
I will use also 1.2/1.3 Ghz for the video
PM is OK for me
Regards,
JC
tshado is offline Find More Posts by tshado
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:07 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert in fpv, but I was happy with my setup. To be honest I'm usually always on a fpv budget so I try and get most things used if I can. So I have an 800mw rmrc vtx, picked up a deluxe vrx from range video maybe...it was used. And I've got some cp antennas on the way to test out but I went over 1.5 miles on rubber ducks with no real signal loss. I have vtx antenna and Dragonlink on opposite ends of the wing for separation. My cheap 7"headrest monitor was not liking Dragonlink tx, so I created a 20ft extension and mounted the Dragonlink transmitter on a pole and that fixed all that mess. My vrx is on a tripod on the opposite side of the Dragonlink tx for close to 30ft of separation. Seems to work. I also drag out a 23"tv to fly with, 7" monitor as backup. I have Dragon osd as my next purchase and some fatshark dominators after that in the future. I hear lots of good things about the pixim sea wolf cameras and I've seen how nice the picture is. I currently picked up a Sony 600tvl one I have yet to test. My old 480tvl rmrc one seemed fine to me as well though. Anyway, that's about all I got

Eric
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:29 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,945 Posts
I was flying my Reaper in combat and got a good hit. Look about second 40. Great shot with a go pro from another Reaper by Steve M.

This my friends is why we like our EPP flying wings (among other reasons.)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6943
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Mar 06, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:26 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I was flying my Reaper in combat and got a good hit. Look about second 40. Great shot with a go pro from another Reaper by Steve M.

Dude you cut his plane in freakin half
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Utterly magnificent twilight flight with the Reaper. Lights a blazing, mozzies a biting and no one to film the ufo impersonater. Video coming soon, thank god the weather is finally giving us a break!
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:30 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Yes, but I believe I am still in the testing phase of my drxl. I found the 3536-1800kv didn't necessarily like the 6.5lbs of wing. So I just got a larger motor... I should get all my parts in this weekend and I'll do another video to see how it goes. I just got all my props to try, a 11x3.8sf, 11x7, and a 10x10. From my previous equipment I just changed motor and esc, everything else is the same. More to come though. Using 1.3g fpv gear. Can pm if you want.

Eric
The 3536-1800Kv wouldn't push it along? I looked at the motor you show next too the 3536--it looks quite a bit bigger.
I'm planning on running 10,000 mAh (2 - 5,000 since I use them on my Storm Chaser and I have several) and pretty much the usual stuff, UHF, OSD, SC2000, 1.3 Vid. So it would be comparable to yours in weight?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Wow, Did you make a believer out of owner whose plane you cut in half? Amazing.
Last edited by 1fullbird; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:58 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
The 3536-1800Kv wouldn't push it along? I looked at the motor you show next too the 3536--it looks quite a bit bigger.
I'm planning on running 10,000 mAh (2 - 5,000 since I use them on my Storm Chaser and I have several) and pretty much the usual stuff, UHF, OSD, SC2000, 1.3 Vid. So it would be comparable to yours in weight?
Should be less, my batteries are fairly heavy