HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:18 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
Solved Hercules crash problem

Those of you who fly your twin engine puller Hercules in combat probably know it is easy to damage the motors, the mounts, and the wood motor mounts when you nose it in, due largely to the weight of the plane.

After many repairs, my friend Rich seems to have solved the problem. Essentially, he has installed a break-away system for the motors. He screwed one of those X shaped motor mounts to the motor, and one to the CTH mount. Then he holds them together with twist ties. The first picture shows the mounts, and the second shows them tied together. He has assembled quite a few of the motor units, so if he breaks a prop (or worse), he can just pull out another "module" and be back in the air in seconds (literally).

Today we tested this system, and it was wildly successful. It wasn't intentional, but he ended up nosing the Herc into the ground full throttle. Both props were broken, but the mounts came apart, and there was absolutely no damage to the plane.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
That is a great idea! We used to do a similar thing on small planews and hold the two pieces together with rubber bands. I have never tried it on the bigger planes.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:05 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Man, I wish someone would fly a herc in combat around here. That would be AWESOME!
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
more on Herc motor mount

To give an idea of the crash the Herc survived, here is a picture of the motor. We were looking all around. Where did the motor go? Then I saw the wires sticking out of the ground. I've never seen an electric motor auger it itself into the ground. Yet, neither the plane or the motors had any damage. Didn't even bend the motor mount.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:41 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
The weather has been so crappy the last few months I haven't done much flying. It finally cleared yesterday and 51 degrees. I had to get out and fly.

The landing approach wasn't as bad as it looked. My plane finder was going off which plugs into my one of my elevon servos. I tried to shut it off by rocking the plane resulting in what looks like a crazy approach.

Winter Flying (3 min 14 sec)
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Iím jealous! Warmer temps, little wind, out FPVing--Priceless.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I need to get an esc and bec before I can go fly again, probably another servo as well
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:52 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Water damage or Magic smoke? What size/Kilo servos are you using? Just wondering as I was assisting one of my flying buds building his DR XL and he was showing all his stuff yesterday. He had some small Corona metal gear servos. I pointed out there is a minimum load they should take. Any way just wondering.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
The problem with small servos is they can fly the plane in normal flight. It isn't until you get stress on the surfaces that they stall and can't push against the pressure.

I have had several people ask why I put the small servos on my 8 lb Hercules pullers then. On the Herc Pullers I have 4 of the small surfaces only moving 18" elevon sections. Even then I had one metal gear servo jam and stop working.

I now recommend that if you are using any motor thaqt uses more than 25 amps that you go with the standard size servos.

Last edited by Lee; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
Water damage or Magic smoke? What size/Kilo servos are you using? Just wondering as I was assisting one of my flying buds building his DR XL and he was showing all his stuff yesterday. He had some small Corona metal gear servos. I pointed out there is a minimum load they should take. Any way just wondering.
They are standard size, I hooked up a 6s setup to my esc and everything started melting. Esc was rated for 6s, water damage earlier may have caused an issue.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
They are standard size, I hooked up a 6s setup to my esc and everything started melting. Esc was rated for 6s, water damage earlier may have caused an issue.
Does the 6S ESC say that the built in BEC works at 6S. You may need a separate BEC. Most flyers I know that fly 6S have a separate power supply for the RX.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The problem with small servos is they can fly the plane in normal flight. It isn't until you get stress on the surfaces that they stall and can't push against the pressure.

I guess we'll have to wait to see how it turns out. Instead of using the fiberglass spars he has substituted 6MM CF tubes for the top and 4MM CF for the bottom. On the top the CF is connected with stainless steel wire that fits snugly inside and held with GG. The cross spar butts up like normal with the piano wire as reinforcement. He also is cutting a box out of the center forward completely through the wing to hold the battery and Rx. He is going to make a box out of Coroplast to reinforce the area along with a hatch cover. His DR XL is intended to be a mid-motor mount.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:07 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Does the 6S ESC say that the built in BEC works at 6S. You may need a separate BEC. Most flyers I know that fly 6S have a separate power supply for the RX.
I was already running a bec. It's weird what wires melted. Basically I plugged it in and the negative wire from the esc to Dragonlink melted,(positive power wire from esc was not connected) then Dragonlink to bec the negative melted, then bec to both servos, the negative wire was too thick to melt but you could see damage. Also both capacitors on the esc were fried off on one connection point. The bec and Dragonlink still work fine, but the neg wires to the bec are shot.
Last edited by E1Allen; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Deep Reaper XL Build

A follow-on to post #4902. Here are some pictures of my buddy’s build. All the spars are now in place, the battery compartment is installed with the Coroplast bottom is in place. The bottom is inset so it’s flush to the bottom. I suggested a Coroplast hatch with Velcro for the top. The wing feels very strong for something that in its present form is so light. The motor is set back 12” from the front. It will be powered by a 3530 1400Kv swinging a 9x6, 5,000 mAh 3S battery, 70amp Esc. I provided him with a box cutter (easier to adjust depth) to install the shock cord. His plan is to insert white GG followed by a wet shock cord
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined Jan 2013
175 Posts
Grim Reaper success - Awesome aircraft, kits and plans

Well Crash Test Hobby fans and flyers. If you are considering a Flying Wing that is awesome and takes a beating this is it and this video is proof!!!

Here is a short video covering just a few photos of my build of my new Grim Reaper flying wing, my video data of my bench test, my set up info for a 100 MPH+ top speed and a look at my maiden flight along with a spectacular crash 150 feet in the air @ about 75 MPH into a 6 foot diameter steel flagpole. The only one for miles and miles around and I hit it dead on. Man was my depth perception orientation off.

Just goes to show the real strength of these kits and build plans from Crash Test Hobby. Not even a scratch. Ready to fly after reattaching a winglet. Didn't get to do my high speed tests yet but she maidened beautifully with the need for only about 2 to 3 trim clicks tops here and there. Super happy and satisfied with my first build. Love this Flying wing.

Enjoy -

Grim Reaper flying Wing Build and Maiden with a spectacular crash (4 min 49 sec)
Nucc10 is offline Find More Posts by Nucc10