HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
battery size suggestions for no extra weight needed

I am gearing up to build a Deep Reaper XL. I would like to get some advice on what size battery to use so I don't need to add extra weight. I plan an using the NTM 3536 motor. Thinking of going 4S. I would prefer to use a single battery but its ok if its better to use two in parallel.

This is for sport flying. No cameras, FPV, or combat. I don't need super long flight time 5-6 minutes is fine. Just looking for a setup that will balance without extra weight.

What is a good setup that will balance without extra dead weight.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
I am gearing up to build a Deep Reaper XL. I would like to get some advice on what size battery to use so I don't need to add extra weight. I plan an using the NTM 3536 motor. Thinking of going 4S. I would prefer to use a single battery but its ok if its better to use two in parallel.

This is for sport flying. No cameras, FPV, or combat. I don't need super long flight time 5-6 minutes is fine. Just looking for a setup that will balance without extra weight.

What is a good setup that will balance without extra dead weight.
Your 4S battery is going to be a little heavier. On 3S we have been seeing as much as 80Amps with that motor. I wonder what it will do with 4S??? It will definitely be fast. We have smoked a couple of 60A ESCs with that motor too. Make sure you get a big enough ESC. This motor is tons of fun, the planes will go vertical with 3S.

The big trick is to keep the weight out of the back end of the plane and move the motor forward closer to the CG. 75% of the plane structure is behind the CG. When you add a motor to that 75% of the plane it takes a lot of weight in the nose to balance it out.

Ideas are to keep your radio forward, don't put too much E-tape and extra laminate behind the CG and be real careful with decorating tape and LED lights behind CG.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
well 3S then. Is there a battery size that will balance the plane without extra weight? Plane Insane shows the 4000 mAh as the "perfect size for the Reaper XL". Is that one battery or two?

I was going to get an 80 amp esc just to have headroom. I have seen photos with the motor in a slot while the instructions show a larger notch in the back. Which is the suggested scheme.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Well spotted Lee, AUW with 2x 2200 3s Nanotech, metal gear servos, 55 amp esc , 3536 1450kva motor and 9x6 prop, switchable lights, and 3 axis delta wing stabilizer , decals and couple of metres of leds under the laminate is a porky..............43oz
Call it a flying fully loaded sales vehicle for CTH on the Sunshine Coast of Australia. Apart from slope soarers(never going to qualify for that) there is no one flying combat around here so this will have to be the pretty plane till i can talk some one into a group buy and get a freebie on that sixth plane
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
Well spotted Lee, AUW with 2x 2200 3s Nanotech, metal gear servos, 55 amp esc , 3536 1450kva motor and 9x6 prop, switchable lights, and 3 axis delta wing stabilizer , decals and couple of metres of leds under the laminate is a porky..............43oz
Call it a flying fully loaded sales vehicle for CTH on the Sunshine Coast of Australia. Apart from slope soarers(never going to qualify for that) there is no one flying combat around here so this will have to be the pretty plane till i can talk some one into a group buy and get a freebie on that sixth plane
with all the weight how well does it fly???
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:42 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
well 3S then. Is there a battery size that will balance the plane without extra weight? Plane Insane shows the 4000 mAh as the "perfect size for the Reaper XL". Is that one battery or two?

I was going to get an 80 amp esc just to have headroom. I have seen photos with the motor in a slot while the instructions show a larger notch in the back. Which is the suggested scheme.
Hi rhodesengr,
I'm using 2 of the 3s 4000mah on my Deep Reaper XL. Works for me. Seems to have plenty power with the 1800kv NTM and 9x6 prop.

With that said, I've seen some posts with people saying 3s didn't work for them.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
886 Posts
Grim Reaper simple FPV setup

I installed my simple FPV setup (200Mw Rx/Tx with IBCrazy antennas) on my Grim Reaper last night and re-balanced for the CG. On the way home from work tonight I stopped by the flying field to try out the GR in the dirty configuration. With a 3,000 mAh Nanotech on board, from launch to landing at half throttle it flew for 14:30. Started with about 12.1V, a check with the multimeter it was down to 10.69V at landing. Not too bad as it cruises at a good clip. I just flew circles and figure eights. Ok, I did climb some and make a few low level passes--never changed the throttle setting.
1fullbird is online now Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Here is a short video from this morning, taken from my Grim Reaper with one of those key chain camera's.

Morning Fog (3 min 41 sec)
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
886 Posts
Were you going vertical? I counted about 15 seconds for the longest climb and you were up there.
1fullbird is online now Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
Were you going vertical? I counted about 15 seconds for the longest climb and you were up there.
Yeah, she will get out of sight very quickly if your not careful.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
My deep reaper is 104oz flies well, just needs about 1000g of thrust to cruise.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
Ill let you know if this rain stops for a maiden on the weekend
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
WATERPROOF fpv Grim Reaper?

I am planning a waterproof fpv grim reaper in order to (attempt to) film my crazy surfer buddies. Any thoughts on waterproofing? I have dunked my reaper into lake san antonio several times and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the ESC.

The Grim Reaper is my choice for this mission because it is super light, it glides like a mofo, and the EPP/lam control surfaces are water resistant.

Anyone ever run 2 ducted fans on a wing? They don't seem very efficient and they don't have much torque, but I am concerned about smacking somebody in the head with my prop. Also 2 ducted fans will free up the rear of the plane for an HD cam. Has anyone put a front prop on the reaper? That is most likely what I will be trying out.

As for my first fpv reaper, it is the longest lasting plane I have ever owned, it has taken more abuse, has been lost a couple times, has been dunked, and holds my distance and time in the air records (4 miles los, 38:42 on a 3300 3s). I have taken off my gopro/mount and run it bare bones fpv now because its so fun light at 1200grams.

I'll be keeping the forum posted about my waterproof build. As for now I am in research mode.

Thanks,
Jason (aka SespeNomad)
SespeNomad is offline Find More Posts by SespeNomad
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
Wouldn't something like a DJI quad-copter be better for videoing surfing? Especially with all the GPS control systems available.

The RX and the ESC you could water proof with silicone casting compounds but the ESC might then overheat. I would think the servos and especially the motor would be hard to water proof.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SespeNomad View Post
I am planning a waterproof fpv grim reaper in order to (attempt to) film my crazy surfer buddies. Any thoughts on waterproofing? I have dunked my reaper into lake san antonio several times and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the ESC.
A product called Corrosion X was recommended to me several pages ago, on post #3832. I never actually got around to trying it, but it sounds like it'd be a great solution for you.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore