SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
Grim Reaper in Formation

Hey everyone,

Check out what the Grim Reaper looks like when its flying in HD!! My buddy has an EPP-FPV with a Guardian stabilizing system and he followed me almost 2 miles out to Mt. Boney.

I took the gopro and nickles off my Grim Reaper so its flying super light even with all my FPV gear, 1215 grams.

Subscribe to my youtube page SespeNomad because we are going to get a lot more formation flights like this.

thanks again to Lee because I love my Grim Reaper,
Sespenomad

Awesome Long Range fpv Formation Flying! (2 min 28 sec)
SespeNomad is offline Find More Posts by SespeNomad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Love the video. You did a good job!!!
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
269 Posts
Hello Fellow Wing men. Almost ready to go guys. I Finally got some solid build time logged for my new Grim Reaper the last couple evenings. This thread and forum is super excellent. And Lee, I love the GR. Its going to be a fantastic time owning one to start. Im interested in really making her a powerhouse. Would it be possible to let me know here what a really good quality custom set up would be for fast flight and really high end performance? Anybody know what the top speed of a GR is to date with flight times of around 10 - 12 minutes still? Looking for a speedster that will still be fun to slow down and cruise the pattern. I guess I want the best of both fast and slow worlds, but I'd like to have 100 MPH capability if i want it and if possible, still preserve some slower fun and decent flight times. How can I accomplish this? I'll consider my FPV set up later after sporting a speedster a bit. Any help here to really juice this baby up would be appreciated. I just finished laminating so the sky is the limit as long as I dont have to remove the fresh laminate. Thanks in advance...Ready to look over the options and place an order if I can't get everything recommended locally for some super performance.
Nucc10 is offline Find More Posts by Nucc10
Last edited by Nucc10; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:29 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Most of the 100+ Grim Reapers I have heard of are using 4S or 6S lipos.

You will be pushing 50A plus so I like to 1.5X the amps to pick an ESC and battery. So an 80 A ESC and a battery that is rated for 80 A. (ie 20C x 4000 mah lipo or bigger) the ESC will need to be rated for the 4S or 6S and have a BEC or you will need to get an additional BEC to get power to your radio.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Most of the 100+ Grim Reapers I have heard of are using 4S or 6S lipos.

You will be pushing 50A plus so I like to 1.5X the amps to pick an ESC and battery. So an 80 A ESC and a battery that is rated for 80 A. (ie 20C x 4000 mah lipo or bigger) the ESC will need to be rated for the 4S or 6S and have a BEC or you will need to get an additional BEC to get power to your radio.
This sounds great Lee. Thanks a bunch. Looking into this today. Lets say I go with a 25C x 5000 MAH Lipo and 80A ESC with a BEC built in. What would your recommendation be for props. Would there be a range in prop size for pure speed vs something that offers 100 MPH but can still handle some less than mid stick cruising around the smaller parks? If you can get me some props recommendations I should be good to go. What kind of props as well. Do you have any favorites? Thanks again very much for the support and build vids. Good stuff and great quality.

Ross
Nucc10 is offline Find More Posts by Nucc10
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SespeNomad View Post
Hey everyone,

Check out what the Grim Reaper looks like when its flying in HD!! My buddy has an EPP-FPV with a Guardian stabilizing system and he followed me almost 2 miles out to Mt. Boney.

I took the gopro and nickles off my Grim Reaper so its flying super light even with all my FPV gear, 1215 grams.

Subscribe to my youtube page SespeNomad because we are going to get a lot more formation flights like this.

thanks again to Lee because I love my Grim Reaper,
Sespenomad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qufmSYE08
Wow!! Great video.. .I tried to post a response on Youtube, but I kept getting an error from Youtube.. so here's my comment..

saw your video on RCGroups - great job!!! I'm building a Grim Reaper right now.... would love to add FPV to it at some point when $$$ allows in order to get more range out of it ... not sure what it costs for a decent FPV setup tho...
cal_gecko is offline Find More Posts by cal_gecko
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
I'm curious to see how people mount a gopro to their Grim Reaper.... anyone have good photos of how they mount/install one? I'm still in the process of building my GR.. waiting on the radio gear to arrive from HK, but I've got it taped, laminated, and starting to cut holes for servos, ESC, etc ...
cal_gecko is offline Find More Posts by cal_gecko
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, MD, Chesapeake Beach
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_gecko View Post
I'm curious to see how people mount a gopro to their Grim Reaper.... anyone have good photos of how they mount/install one? I'm still in the process of building my GR.. waiting on the radio gear to arrive from HK, but I've got it taped, laminated, and starting to cut holes for servos, ESC, etc ...
Here's now NOT to do it:

On the very first maiden launch, it nosed in (reversed elevon mix, DOH!) and the plastic mount irreparably shattered into a bunch of pieces. I don't have any pics of my most recent setup, but I cut a chunk out of the nose that was large enough to encompass the GoPro camera and case. I looped a piece of velcro thru a hole cut in the wing, and anchored it to the GoPro case thru the opening on the non-waterproof door (skeleton door, I think it's called?). Probably not the most aerodynamic setup, but it works perfect for strictly LOS flying.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:15 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
This is how I installed mine
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:20 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucc10 View Post
Hello Fellow Wing men. Almost ready to go guys. I Finally got some solid build time logged for my new Grim Reaper the last couple evenings. This thread and forum is super excellent. And Lee, I love the GR. Its going to be a fantastic time owning one to start. Im interested in really making her a powerhouse. Would it be possible to let me know here what a really good quality custom set up would be for fast flight and really high end performance? Anybody know what the top speed of a GR is to date with flight times of around 10 - 12 minutes still? Looking for a speedster that will still be fun to slow down and cruise the pattern. I guess I want the best of both fast and slow worlds, but I'd like to have 100 MPH capability if i want it and if possible, still preserve some slower fun and decent flight times. How can I accomplish this? I'll consider my FPV set up later after sporting a speedster a bit. Any help here to really juice this baby up would be appreciated. I just finished laminating so the sky is the limit as long as I dont have to remove the fresh laminate. Thanks in advance...Ready to look over the options and place an order if I can't get everything recommended locally for some super performance.
Well, I'm running 3s on a 6.5lb deep reaper xl. It's not working so I am putting this motor on with 6s. I have two 8000mah in series, still putting the new setup together, 11x7prop 7lb thrust and over 90mph pitch speed. I don't have a 10x10 but it should give 115 pitch speed.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:22 PM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious to see how people mount a gopro to their Grim Reaper.... anyone have good photos of how they mount/install one?
Like fnffishcore said, don't do it that way if you can help it. This set up would create a significant amount of drag as well as potentially catapulting the camera on a crash or hard landing. I currently use a Contour camera which is a little more drag-friendly and I have it mostly embedded into the wing. I'm thinking about switching to a Hero3 and if I do, I will rig something similar to the zephyr camera mount in the nose. Here is a similar third-party solution:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623444

Has anyone tried this with a DRXL?
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
do anyone know if that park 480 1024kv motor will swing a 9x6 anygood ona grim reaper? on 3s 2200s?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Fast & Slow

Nucc10~~

Would there be a range in prop size for pure speed vs something that offers 100 MPH but can still handle some less than mid stick cruising around the smaller parks?

You need 2 wings~~~~ maybe a light built WidowMaker for the parks?~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:39 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
do anyone know if that park 480 1024kv motor will swing a 9x6 anygood ona grim reaper? on 3s 2200s?
The trick is to mount the prop and bench test it and see if it is within the recommended amperage and running temperature. You adjust the amount of amperage a motor uses by changing the size of the prop and the number of cells in the lipo battery.

There are a lot of 480 motors out there in part boxes. I have never tried one on a Reaper but am curious to know if you like it.

I like my Albatross and Widowmakers as my small park planes and my favorite small park night planes. I think I have 4 of each set up for night flying with different light set ups. If I am flying bigger spaces I fly the Storm Chaser Reaper and Titan too.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 PM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I like my Albatross and Widowmakers as my small park planes and my favorite small park night planes. I think I have 4 of each set up for night flying with different light set ups. If I am flying bigger spaces I fly the Storm Chaser Reaper and Titan too.
I know it's a little like asking the candy store owner how much candy he owns, but I'm real curious how many planes you (Lee) have in your hangar ready to fly? Do you switch receivers around? How often do you get to fly?

(I've been bogged down at work/life and haven't flown in a few weeks... so I guess I'm longing for stories from those who are prolific.)
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer