Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Here is myDeep Reaper with 30 hours of flight time. Makes it easy to fly when it is from my backyard that includes a landing strip.

Landing Strip (0 min 44 sec)
randkbrown is offline Find More Posts by randkbrown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:48 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Esc does not get hot. Sounds like I can swing leaving just the top exposed. Already creating enough drag from fpv gear I plan to use
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
I need to get a speed gun and see what my Reaper is doing on NTM 3536 1800KV with a 7x6 prop on 4s. Usually I fly on 3s with a 8x4 and 8x6 prop.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:47 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
you could try using RCSpeedo APP, works off the audio to get airspeed.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:27 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
Here is a video of the second flight of my Reaper, I didn't video the maiden, also ignore the date code, I haven't changed it.

017 (3 min 45 sec)
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:45 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
I like the videos from all over the world. Thanks for posting them.

I have the App "RCSPEEDO" It works well if you remember to be low and straight over your phone. A woman's voice will even verbalize the speed so you know if it came through. It's when that voice starts telling you how to fly it gets annoying... just joking.

I will turn the app on and put the phone in my pocket and as long as the plane is close it will get a reading and I can hear the voice telling me the speed. All of the speeds are posted on the screen until you turn the app off which is nice.

To get a speed on Doppler like this you need to fly straight over without a turn or it fouls up the sound and you will not get accurate readings.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:04 AM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
That's exactly how my DRXL is set up, with the same motor and same size esc. No problems yet.
On 3s do you know the max amps it's going to pull?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Actually we clock the Reaper at an actual speed of 80+ mph with the 3530-1700 kv and some flyers going 4S are over 100 mph and I have heard of 6S over 120 mph. It's all a power to drag/weight ratio. Just make sure you use big servos and reinforce your linkages if you go this fast.
Oh I meant at idle/gliding
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Oh I meant at idle/gliding
Low end speed has to do a lot with weight. The lighter it is the lower the slow speed flight and the slower the stall. If you load up a plane the glide could be in the 20s but the nice thing is this design remains stable to lower speed than most other flying wings of this size.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ya, based on GPS (Just installed a pitot tube), the plane likes to approach at about 20-23 mph, stall is about 15mph. My plane is very heavy, but it flies amazing, even at slower speeds. I once tried to climb, but forgot to increase power (flying FPV). It took me a few seconds to figure out why the plane wouldnt climb, and why the wings were rocking back and forth. But I never lost control. I just gave 3/4 throttle and climbed right out. You made a great plane!
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I'm all bummed, only flown my reaper once so far. So much going on...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:48 PM
United States, AL, Theodore
Joined Mar 2005
299 Posts
You're bummed! Mine is at home waiting to be built and I am still 8 days from being there. Once I get there I only have 5 days at home and then back out for 16 days. In the meantime I'll have about 2-3 days of honey do's.

BTW, what do you think about glueing in the shock cord at the motor mount area and letting it set and then doing the rest so the motor mount area doesn't pull loose when tightening up the cord??

Paul
ppridday is online now Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppridday View Post
BTW, what do you think about glueing in the shock cord at the motor mount area and letting it set and then doing the rest so the motor mount area doesn't pull loose when tightening up the cord??
Not sure what you mean, here. It won't really matter which you do first, put in the shock cord, or glue on the Formica plates. You shouldn't be tightening the cord so much that the foam distorts in any way.

It may be a bit easier to access the slot for the shock cord without the Formica plates in the way, but structurally, there won't be any difference. Don't the instructions have you putting the shock cord in right after gluing the halves together anyway?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, AL, Theodore
Joined Mar 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Not sure what you mean, here. It won't really matter which you do first, put in the shock cord, or glue on the Formica plates. You shouldn't be tightening the cord so much that the foam distorts in any way.

It may be a bit easier to access the slot for the shock cord without the Formica plates in the way, but structurally, there won't be any difference. Don't the instructions have you putting the shock cord in right after gluing the halves together anyway?
Yes, the shock cord does go in right after. I thought the shock cord would have to be snugged up semi tight to be effective. Not enough to distort the foam but enough to put some kind of compressional load on the perimeter. At that point I figured it would be enough to pull the cord out of the cut out area of the motor bay.

I guess I should just wait to build mine and then ask questions... I'm sure there will be lots.

Paul
ppridday is online now Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
You're thinking right. Snug, but not pulling anything out of shape. Once you get it in there, you'll find the friction will keep the cord in just fine. Just follow the instructions.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan