HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Can you use some leftover foam and patch it then relaminate it?
i prob could but i dont think it bad enough to wear its gona change the flight dynamics of the plane, besides its slowly starting to puff back up. i think flying it will help bring it back to normal over time. besdies these thing are combat wings, i think being hit by another plane would do more damage then one area of the wing, being a little flat.
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,181 Posts
In most cases it is better to fly it than cut into it to try to repair it. It is tolerant to a little deviation.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:57 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2005
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Excellent. Thank you sir!

Paul
ppridday is offline Find More Posts by ppridday
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
well mines all done the only thing i havent done yet is lamanite over the tape for the elevons, incause i need to cut and adjust them or somthing. im gona try to fly it tomorrow morning. it seems a little nose heavy but then agian i havnt marked the cg area yet, but i think it will be fine tomorrow.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:15 AM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
well mines all done the only thing i havent done yet is lamanite over the tape for the elevons, incause i need to cut and adjust them or somthing. im gona try to fly it tomorrow morning. it seems a little nose heavy but then agian i havnt marked the cg area yet, but i think it will be fine tomorrow.
Cg is important, you for sure need to mark the cg and make sure it's there.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
so i did my maiden yesterday morning and it was either A, realling nose heavy or B. i didnt have enough relex on the elevators. and it had bad tendcy of wanting to turn to the right till i got it trimmed out, and i thinkk... i need to get a new esc, orrrr.... reporgram it, cause the throttle curve seems very wierd with it. and that prop grabs so much air, id chop the throttle and id still be free wheelin as its flying by me and it made me think the motor was still on, u guys think i need to put it on brake mode? the esc is out of a trex 450 so, i think i need to mess with it a little. ohh and i bent the motor mount alittle, this thing glides foreverrrr once its trimmed out and stuff.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:18 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
so i did my maiden yesterday morning and it was either A, realling nose heavy or B. i didnt have enough relex on the elevators. and it had bad tendcy of wanting to turn to the right till i got it trimmed out, and i thinkk... i need to get a new esc, orrrr.... reporgram it, cause the throttle curve seems very wierd with it. and that prop grabs so much air, id chop the throttle and id still be free wheelin as its flying by me and it made me think the motor was still on, u guys think i need to put it on brake mode? the esc is out of a trex 450 so, i think i need to mess with it a little. ohh and i bent the motor mount alittle, this thing glides foreverrrr once its trimmed out and stuff.
Mine spins as well
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,181 Posts
Tail heavy or too much throw can stall the plane and cause a spin.

I was looking at this video of Randy and his Reaper. His plane is light with the CG farther back and tons of throw. He is a very good flyer but look at what the plane does with his settings. Hes starts intentionally doing snap rolls about minute one on the video. This is the same effect you have on take off with a tail heavy plane or a plane with too much movement on the elevons.

Lee

Reaper Stunts - Randy 9-12 (5 min 45 sec)
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Tail heavy or too much throw can stall the plane and cause a spin.

I was looking at this video of Randy and his Reaper. His plane is light with the CG farther back and tons of throw. He is a very good flyer but look at what the plane does with his settings. Hes starts intentionally doing snap rolls about minute one on the video. This is the same effect you have on take off with a tail heavy plane or a plane with too much movement on the elevons.

Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LKkfE_3ubE
ok after looking at the vid, i think mine was just a bit noes heavy cause i rember, when i did a glide test with it, after i got it trimmed, wich btw it did need alot of down trim, wich still makes me think i didnt have enoiugh elevator reflex mechanical wise. (wich i just got done adjusting a few ago, oh and fixed motor mount.) it seemed to glide fine, and when i did a full throttle pass it seemed really stable, and it was just stright. i still need to get use to flying it, and i really do think i need to mess with the esc, cause half throttle seems like full, ther no diffrence between full and half on it, and the soft start i think is on too, wich explanes why some times it starts and the stops and starts and then stops when i try to use only 10 precent thorrttle too.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
id chop the throttle and id still be free wheelin as its flying by me and it made me think the motor was still on, u guys think i need to put it on brake mode?
Oh, man, just Google that question, and you'll find pages and pages of discussion. Some say it's better to let it windmill. Others say it's better to set the brake. I happen to be of the windmill camp, but... on something as small as a 6 or 7" prop, it may not make that much difference, in the end.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Oh, man, just Google that question, and you'll find pages and pages of discussion. Some say it's better to let it windmill. Others say it's better to set the brake. I happen to be of the windmill camp, but... on something as small as a 6 or 7" prop, it may not make that much difference, in the end.
im running a 10 inch prop on my beast
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:42 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Sub'ed
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:55 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,181 Posts
There is a big discussion about whether to set the brake or not.

It takes energy from the battery to freeze the prop in place so it isn't rotating with the brake on.

There is some test somewhere that says the brake on allows the plane to glide better because the windmilling prop causes drag.

While you are discussing it I will go flying with my brake off because I am not gliding most of the time.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
There is a big discussion about whether to set the brake or not.
I thought brake was bad on our wings because we want the prop to move to the sideways position on "landing", or at least have the ability to, to avoid breaking props. Incorrect?
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
If you're flying LOS you can blip the throttle to get it horizontal.

The windmilling prop does cause a huge amount of drag, but that's a good thing on landing
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87