HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I dont know if people already do it or not, but I would suggest putting a piece of tape or laminate over the leading edge of the cloroplast wing tips. I say this because I clipped a tree today and it tore a small section out of the plastic. Wouldn't have happened if the LE was protected. This is the second flight in a row that I've clipped a tree flying FPV.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, I extended the wing tip to the end of the elevons. This greatly helps to cut down on wagging, and recovery after clipping a tree. Might help in combat too.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:03 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
Do you have a picture of the extended wing tip?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
about how many oz is the DRXL with the foam and spars and tape. basically everything besides electronics roughly.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Hi Lee and the rest of the winged fraternity,
after a barrage of hints the Finance Department has agreed to me getting a Grim Reaper for Christmas. I have just digested 300+ pages of experience and still have a couple of dumb questions to ask. I plan to set the GR up as a lightweight sport flyer. Is a Turnigy 2826 2200kv on 3s just a bit too lightweight? I am getting nearly 1KG of thrust out of it on a 7x4. If it hasn't got the guts is the RC Timer motor still the best option (if you can't stretch far enough for a Cobra)? The Cobra motors delivered to Australia cost considerably more than the wing!.
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Ok I could of been a bit clearer...
RCtimer replacement 3530 1400kv with 9x6 or 1750kv ith 7x4? Is the HK Turnigy 3536 1450kv that comes with a kit already a better deal fot $19 , especially if I am gettong servos ,lights, props ect...at the same time(and shipping to OZ has to be taken into consideration)
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:08 AM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
I gotcha, i guess you could always make a little foam block with lead in it to replace where your gopro sits.
I have slots/holes cut to hold my FPV and Contour cameras. When I don't have the cameras installed (like on the maiden flight), I put bolts and washers of equal weight in their place. This seems to work just fine.
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:13 AM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
RCtimer replacement 3530 1400kv with 9x6 or 1750kv ith 7x4? Is the HK Turnigy 3536 1450kv that comes with a kit already a better deal fot $19 , especially if I am gettong servos ,lights, props ect...at the same time(and shipping to OZ has to be taken into consideration)
I fly with the HK NTM 3536 1800kv with a 9x6 and I would recommend it. It's not quiet, but powerful and efficient it is. The bigger motor helps with launching when heavy with gear. Launching is no simple task at first and the extra power is critical IMO.
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Last edited by Parke_ParkeFlyer; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Thanks Parke, i appreciate the advice. Noise is a bit of an issue for me as we fly in the fields of a university or down at public beaches. I can't really go for a screaming setup.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:09 AM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
Just FYI, I fly my Grim Reaper with 4000-5000mah of 3S power, with a GoPro embedded in the nose. With the RCTimer 3536-1450KV and 9x6 folding prop, 3/4 throttle and a decent upward sidearm throw are all it takes to get in the air. In my opinion it's plenty powerful enough, and at a great price. Even with the ESC, RX, servo control arms, batteries and GoPro creating drag It is a bit on the loud side, but I'm in the process of recovering and reshaping mine, which includes larger cutouts around the trailing edge/motor area. This should help dampen noise, as I understand.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
The Grim Reaper can GLIDE!!

I want to share this with you guys.. ALWAYS WATCH YOUR VOLTAGE METER!!

I never doubted my Grim Reaper's ability to glide, but I never really tested it like this.

In this video I was NOT paying attention to my voltage meter, and I must have been playing around in the sky for 20 minutes. I was about .7 miles away from my favorite flying spot which sits at 1500 feet on top of a hill when I saw 10.23 volts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3r2QDWnCSY&feature=plcp
(i don't know why this video isn't embedding, but the link works.)

I run a 3300 mah 3s lipo to power my rx, servos, and motor on my 1430g Grim Reaper. I also have a basic 'simple osd' voltage meter for this battery and my 800 mah fpv system lipo.

Anyway, my 50 amp phoenix ice ESC is set to cut power to my motor when my big lipo gets to 10.2 volts, which gives me 12-20 minutes of flying around (i kept it up for 32 minutes once, but I was trying to do that).

Also, while we are talking about how amazing the Grim Reaper glides, check out my first major crash after an epic flight. I found the plane an hour later (SOOO LUCKY) and its fine. I broke off a winglet and thats about it.

SespeNomad FPV Clouds and Crashing (4 min 15 sec)
SespeNomad is offline Find More Posts by SespeNomad
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Do you have a picture of the extended wing tip?
Here's that picture. In case you're wondering. Black thing is a new key chain cam. Should give some interesting video of the back edge of the plane.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:35 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I'm wondering if I wanted to use a colored mono cote should I put it over or under the laminate?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Use UltraCoat if you are going to use a colored laminate. It is stronger and has a lower temperature than Monocoat. Don't put it over our clear laminate because it will be heavy and bubble between the layers.

Great videos!!!
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:02 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Ultra cote it is, I want it to look nice, but I can't load it up with colored duct tape because it's already going to be stupid heavy with 16000mah of batteries.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
815 Posts
mAh

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Ultra cote it is, I want it to look nice, but I can't load it up with colored duct tape because it's already going to be stupid heavy with 16000mah of batteries.

WOW 16 thousand mAh's that sucker shud fly all night
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler